Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Royal Albert Halls - Seats  (Read 26984 times)

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
Re: Royal Albert Halls - Seats
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 08:36:15 PM »
About 2 hours concert. Some DS and from soloalbums As well

Loto numbers, please!!  ;D

Offlinemishalgunner

• Guitar George
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 07:32:28 AM »
Would it be fair to assume that once the tour starts, the setlist will be more or less (+/- a song) the same, including RAH?

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 07:56:33 AM »
Would it be fair to assume that once the tour starts, the setlist will be more or less (+/- a song) the same, including RAH?
Very fair !
There won't be 6 different setlists because of 6 shows. Six times the same +/- 1 song.  ;D

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 11:14:16 AM »

MK has played the RAH many times during 4, 5 or 6 dates, and the setlist has been the same always, maybe in one or two concerts he change just one song, or if he has any guest as in 2008 that Joe Brown played with him, it can have two different songs due the special guest, but normally, it will be the same set.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 12:01:32 PM »
I had hoped, following his tours with Mr Bob, that a bit of Mr Bob might rub off on MK and that MK might vary the playlist a bit.  We shall see.

As it happens, it seems to have worked the other way round. On Mr Bob's latest tour, playlist variation has been more limited than for many years. It may be because there's a new guitarist in the band and he's working his way in, however.

Surely MK knows that a lot of you folk will be attending several RAH shows. He will play what he wants to play (and that's the way it should be) but changing a few songs each night would be a nice acknowledgment of his solid fan base.

I was only reading this week of a musician (not the headliner) complaining about an old tour he was on - about having to play the same songs in the same way, night after night. It's all well and good getting it just right on the night but the lack of genuine spontaneity must surely become a drag. The predictability of it must be deadening.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 12:18:02 PM »
I had hoped, following his tours with Mr Bob, that a bit of Mr Bob might rub off on MK and that MK might vary the playlist a bit.  We shall see.

As it happens, it seems to have worked the other way round. On Mr Bob's latest tour, playlist variation has been more limited than for many years. It may be because there's a new guitarist in the band and he's working his way in, however.

Yes, it's quite ironic that Bob seems to be emulating MK in that respect, butI can see that Bob could be giving Duke some time to become accustomed to Bob's songs. However, MK was pretty well thrown in at the deep end, with barely any time to rehearse, or even to know which songs were to be played, hours before the concert.  To me, he still sounds a lot better than Duke does on, for instance, "Beyond Here Lies Nothing", "Things Have Changed", "Tangled" and "Blind Willie".  On the Amherst recording I thought Duke's renditions were very dull in comparison to Mark's.   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 12:21:08 PM »
I tend to agree twm and think that the early concerts of the OES tour were a good compromise for MK in terms of set versus performance. 

The set was varied, we got some great rare tracks played and now we crave bootlegs from this period. However, in the 2nd European leg the set was mostly the same night after night.  This led to perfect performances too, which is no doubt why the OTN album was recorded then and not early on.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 02:04:39 PM »
Apologies for one more RAH seating question. Since this is my first time there, which are better seats - Arena B, Row 17 (middle of row) or Stalls M.2.91-92? Rushing the stage for encores is not meaningful for me as we don't do this is the US so that is not a factor (probably couldn't get out to rush anyway since the Arena seats are in the middle of the row). Since this is our first RAH concert, I want it to be a good experience for us. However, looking at the back of someone's head the entire concert sounds grim to me so I am leaning toward the Stalls seats. Am I right?

Offlinejabbathehut

• Camerado
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 03:08:02 PM »
what would happen if those in the arena decide to stand for the whole show.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 03:16:15 PM »

I would love that ;-) It doesn't happen, people go standing at the encores. Same as earlier years

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 03:43:30 PM »

The security will go and make seat everyone.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 06:45:51 PM »
No need for the people behind me to stand and spoil my view.  ;)
mk.com presale already took care of providing me a poor view thanks to their terrible seat assignments.  :thumbsdown

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 07:36:18 PM »
Apologies for one more RAH seating question. Since this is my first time there, which are better seats - Arena B, Row 17 (middle of row) or Stalls M.2.91-92? Rushing the stage for encores is not meaningful for me as we don't do this is the US so that is not a factor (probably couldn't get out to rush anyway since the Arena seats are in the middle of the row). Since this is our first RAH concert, I want it to be a good experience for us. However, looking at the back of someone's head the entire concert sounds grim to me so I am leaning toward the Stalls seats. Am I right?

Apart the fact that that mean no running to the front at the end, Stall is preferable to Arena if not in the first 3 rows.

I did over 20 shows at the RAH and experieced circle (no more), 2d tiers box (beware front ones are horrible souding, middle of the house are ok), stalls (always ok, Arena B (not the best one and too far for the run) and A  (holly grail to run front of stage at the end but otherwise risky for the view during the seated part if far than third row).
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2013, 12:18:20 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input. Stalls it is.

Offlinemishalgunner

• Guitar George
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2013, 10:25:17 AM »
Agreed

Thanks for everyones input!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 34 queries.