Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark on new DION album Stomping ground  (Read 17386 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Mark on new DION album Stomping ground
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2021, 06:41:50 PM »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2021, 05:04:10 PM »
Just for the record, there’s no such thing as clean guitar tones in live gigs when you’re in a big band like Mark’s. You need some saturation in order to cut through the mix otherwise your guitar will be buried under the other instruments. That being said I quite liked Mark’s playing and tone in Dion’s tune. Can’t say the same about the videoclip though lol
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2021, 07:54:37 AM »
really, REALLY liked Marks contribution, but the rest of the album ain't bad either! finally some good mk "news" in 2021.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2021, 08:46:32 PM »
A Kemper could make sense for a tour because it avoid you to have to transport many amps, some of them really expensive and delicate, but in a recording studio of your own, where you have all your stuff, you have to be really lazy to use a Kemper instead of the real hings...

The Kemper is used on Back On The Dancefloor and One Song At A Time. You can get sounds from the Kemper that you can't get from a real amp and vice versa. Whether he used it on this track or not, it's just a 'new' toy for him, he never plays decades on the same gear.

My biggest problem with the Kemper still is dynamics. You can get beautiful clean sounds out of it, but it just doesn't breathe. Even on the best 2019 recordings, and taking his rusty fingers in account, you can hear it's challenging to play really soft *and* really loud with the Kemper.

Offlinetobi777

• Local Hero
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2021, 09:01:42 PM »
Kemper or not: the song is ok, but Mark plays the same licks in "autopilot mode" as so often, so I'm not so convinced.

As for the sound, Mark already had this somewhat rough sound since about 2005, which is not clean enough for me - even when he didn't use Kemper amps. This may be due to the fact that his signature Strat has Texas Special pickups in it (which always surprised me, since he never wanted to achieve a sound like SRV) and that he uses different amps than he used to.I like the earlier sound better, but that's a matter of taste.

Also: I admire anyone who can actually recognize a Kemper in a big concert hall with often bad sound and lots of ambient noise.
At least in Berlin the acoustics were generally - as so often - so mediocre that you couldn't hear much at all out of the sound mush...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2021, 09:19:02 PM »
Kemper or not: the song is ok, but Mark plays the same licks in "autopilot mode" as so often, so I'm not so convinced.

As for the sound, Mark already had this somewhat rough sound since about 2005, which is not clean enough for me - even when he didn't use Kemper amps. This may be due to the fact that his signature Strat has Texas Special pickups in it (which always surprised me, since he never wanted to achieve a sound like SRV) and that he uses different amps than he used to.I like the earlier sound better, but that's a matter of taste.

Also: I admire anyone who can actually recognize a Kemper in a big concert hall with often bad sound and lots of ambient noise.
At least in Berlin the acoustics were generally - as so often - so mediocre that you couldn't hear much at all out of the sound mush...

I think a lot of people who are bashing Kemper usually listen to the live recordings and on that, you can make almost any instrument sound bad and out of place. Considering, that Mark's recent soundboards were, let's say, not of the finest quality, expecting a great guitar sound from these recordings is too much I think.

MK Strat is a strange beast indeed, I'm not a fan of colour choice and pickups are also could be different. But some people really love it, so!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2021, 09:23:51 PM »

I think a lot of people who are bashing Kemper usually listen to the live recordings and on that, you can make almost any instrument sound bad and out of place. Considering, that Mark's recent soundboards were, let's say, not of the finest quality, expecting a great guitar sound from these recordings is too much I think.

MK Strat is a strange beast indeed, I'm not a fan of colour choice and pickups are also could be different. But some people really love it, so!

Now't wrong with a good ol'e MK strat or two!!! :lol :lol :lol
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2021, 10:40:40 PM »

Yeah, I’ve never played through a Kemper but the one thing solid state/digital should be able to do is clean. Roland have done Good clean solid state since the 80s.

What has been difficult to recreate is valve amp distortion. As you say, MK hasn’t really had a true clean sound live for a while now, so that’s a choice, nothing to do with Kemper.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2021, 01:05:21 AM »

Live is when/where you can hear the kemper difference mostly.
In a recording the sound is compressed and the difference is much smaller.

I heard it live in Milan which has an excellent sound for an indoor sports venue
and in Verona where the acoustics is great and is really close to the Royal Albert Hall.

During Money for Nothing in Verona the sound was so bad that I almost wanted to go out, first time ever since 1992.
I still enjoyed because it was Mark, because it was MFN and because it was Verona,
but I can assure you his guitar sound was bad.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 01:14:57 AM by PensaGhost »
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2021, 08:41:47 AM »

I heard it live in Milan which has an excellent sound for an indoor sports venue
and in Verona where the acoustics is great and is really close to the Royal Albert Hall.

During Money for Nothing in Verona the sound was so bad that I almost wanted to go out, first time ever since 1992.
I still enjoyed because it was Mark, because it was MFN and because it was Verona,

I think the bigger problem on the last tour was that he played Money For Nothing so sloppy at times you almost couldn't believe it. It broke my heart when I first heard it and honestly, I don't want to listen to that again. So Kemper or not, I personally never revisit his Kemper recordings anyway :lol

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2021, 10:07:31 AM »

I think the bigger problem on the last tour was that he played Money For Nothing so sloppy at times you almost couldn't believe it. It broke my heart when I first heard it and honestly, I don't want to listen to that again. So Kemper or not, I personally never revisit his Kemper recordings anyway :lol

Agreed, messed up the intro badly in Glasgow.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #131 on: November 24, 2021, 01:07:03 PM »

I have TS on one of my teles and love it. I don’t know, perhaps the fact Mark’s a fingerpicker led him to that choice, going for hotter pups.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

hunter

« Reply #132 on: November 24, 2021, 07:02:27 PM »
Strat into Komet amp and 4x12 cabinet according to Guy on his forum today.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #133 on: November 24, 2021, 07:22:25 PM »

his touch is perfectly fine, it's the only thing that is still at 99%

He can use 100 different amps and have a great sound, a digital simulation is the only thing he must avoid
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

hunter

« Reply #134 on: November 24, 2021, 08:10:56 PM »
I didn't attend any 2019 shows, but a guitarist friend of mine was at RAH and at a couple of other venues and said Mark overall used too much gain and that the overdriven sound made everything sound very similar. A lot of nuances were lost. Going by the many recordings I've heard from that tour, that's my opinion too.

I totally understand the convenience of using a modeller, especially for one-off gigs that require quick setup (radio shows for instance), but using it on a world tour seems strange, especially by a guy like Mark who has always been very particular about getting good guitar tone and dynamics. I agree with PensaGhost here.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 41 queries.