Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Censorship in the "life in songs" documentary on the SD box !!!  (Read 13590 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Censorship in the "life in songs" documentary on the SD box !!!
« on: September 05, 2012, 05:57:05 PM »
I cannot express how disgusted I feel.
I did not want to buy this SD box because of the low value we discussed.
Nonetheless, being still a MK gem, I could not resist buying it in a FNAC shop, for an infamous price - 30

Love Expresso

Re: Censorship in the "life in songs" documentary on the SD box !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 06:02:22 PM »
I understand your anger. It seems there are legal/rights reasons for this?

Herlock, you will probably know that there is a recording available from Digital TV, which is perfect quality so to say. I have this DVD, made with a nice menu AND complete! If you are willing I can send you a copy?

LE

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 06:06:18 PM »
LE, you're very sweet and you made my day. Yes, I'm quite willing if you can do it, that's wonderful. Thank you so much !
But it will not change the fact that I won't be an official release, and that things are not what they are advertised to be... "FULL CONCERT" they said !! without TR - the longest and possibly the most impressive song ever made !!!!!!

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 06:08:16 PM »
I don't know for the documentary but the "full concert" is a very serious contractual issue that must be fixed !
 >:(  :o

Love Expresso

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 06:12:57 PM »
PM me your postal address if you like. It might take a time but I will send it to you...

You are right about "full concert". Well, this and recent releases of Mk are all done without much or no  love at all or care... It is only business and money making and it is sad that it is so obvious. Mark is not interested in this the slightest which is a pity. Somebody who takes so much care about everything should learn that at the other end, the people who buy his stuff want his personality reflected in his production. Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel or David Gilmour seem to be people that are different to that.

LE

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 06:27:56 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 06:19:16 PM »
PM me your postal address if you like. It might take a time but I will send it to you...

You are right about "full concert". Well, this and recent releases of Mk are all done without much or no  love at all or care... It is only business and money making at it is sad that it is so obvious. Mark is not interested in this the slightest which is a pity. Somebody who takes so much care about everything should learn that at the other end, the people who buy his stuff want his personality reflected in his production. Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel or David Gilmour seem to be people that are different to that.

LE
Thank you LE you're so sweet ! you've got mail :)
I 100% agree with everything you've just said.
I think AMIT (not only one or two individuals) should raise a formal complaint to Guy's forum and to PC. What do you all think ? by not saying that the documentary is edited and advertising "full concert" I think they are breaking the law. All the more than the item is super expensive. What do you guys think ?

Another thing - Pottel are you listening ? :) I think you said that some parts of the Privateering EPK have been embedded in the documentary... well I've just been wathching the documentary in full (for what that means with this censored version) and I've seen no trace of the EPK... ????

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 06:21:18 PM »

You are right about "full concert". Well, this and recent releases of Mk are all done without much or no  love at all or care... It is only business and money making at it is sad that it is so obvious. Mark is not interested in this the slightest which is a pity. Somebody who takes so much care about everything should learn that at the other end, the people who buy his stuff want his personality reflected in his production. Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel or David Gilmour seem to be people that are different to that.

LE

I am also surprised that Mark does not use more control on this side of the biz.
What is put out is done with his approval. I may understand his desinterest for the Dire Straits part but regarding his new album?

Privateering being a double album  sounds a bit like ending his contract faster. Time will tell.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 06:27:50 PM »

LE
Thank you LE you're so sweet ! you've got mail :)
I 100% agree with everything you've just said.
I think AMIT (not only one or two individuals) should raise a formal complaint to Guy's forum and to PC. What do you all think ? by not saying that the documentary is edited and advertising "full concert" I think they are breaking the law. All the more than the item is super expensive. What do you guys think ?

Another thing - Pottel are you listening ? :) I think you said that some parts of the Privateering EPK have been embedded in the documentary... well I've just been wathching the documentary in full (for what that means with this censored version) and I've seen no trace of the EPK... ????

I am 200% sure i did.
will check again, or can someone else confirm?
oh and LE, this dvd you mention, is this your own creation? if so, why not torrent it on Spanish city?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 06:33:13 PM »
Maybe this DVD editing issue is due to the fact that there are in fact 2 versions and that explains the so-called "quality assurance" reasons for delaying postage. 

Remember the Life In Songs programme was a BBC production, but the excerpts you mention that were cut were from another broadcaster (Wembley '85 was on The Tube, Channel 4) and would presumably require further permission.  After realising their mistake, they suddenly stopped posting the SD boxes and edited out the appropriate bits.  Now there are 2 versions of the DVD in circulation depending on when you received it.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 06:34:13 PM »
Maybe this DVD editing issue is due to the fact that there are in fact 2 versions and that explains the so-called "quality assurance" reasons for delaying postage. 

Remember the Life In Songs programme was a BBC production, but the excerpts you mention that were cut were from another broadcaster and would presumably require further permission.  After realising their mistake, they suddenly stopped posting the SD boxes and edited out the appropriate bits.  Now there are 2 versions of the DVD in circulating depending on when you received it.
What a nightmare if it's true...

Love Expresso

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 06:38:13 PM »
 ???

It is not my own creation at all.
I always thought this was to common knowledge? It from JvT'S site, you find it there when you scroll down the updates down to February 2011.. Strange enough I am not able to capture a link, please have a look yourself...

I got it from that site. As I am not into Spanish City and torrent stuff at all, I would be happy to send you Pottel, a copy, too and let you  decide what to do with it..

LE

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 06:49:20 PM »
I am 200% sure i did.
will check again, or can someone else confirm?
Apologies Pottel, you are right, there are indeek some parts of the EPK at the end of the DVD which I had skipped - as I was so disgusted. This is very small though - just to say hey, yes, ok, this is privateering....

Regarding the rights issue: we should note that there are still some parts of Wembley'85 (small extracts from WOL and MFN). So, why should Going Home more of a problem ? Because of Henk B. Marvin's management ? But then we have the sequence of Henk in the 60s !! So I don't think it is a right issues, I think it's just butchering things as usual... :( :( :(

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 08:16:12 PM »
Like leaving SoS from on the night and other examples...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineAdz

• Local Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 08:24:45 PM »
I'm sure many of you are aware of its existence, but there is a very useful freeware program call aTube Catcher for all those little things you would like keep closer to home. A quick Google will find it for you, but remember to do a custom install so that you don't install the Ask toolbar, or whatever they bung in with it.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 11:08:42 PM »
300% agree with all said, but I think the best complaint to the record company would have been to not buy the SD box set....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 41 queries.