Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Summer's Coming My Way (Full song)  (Read 25275 times)

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
Re: Summer's Coming My Way
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2016, 03:34:39 PM »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2016, 04:02:35 PM »
Would kill for those TOL alternate versions! ;)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2016, 02:45:28 PM »
 :(
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2016, 04:25:54 PM »
He doesn't have to share anything if he doesn't wants to. I respect any serious collector, and Mimmo is not only serious but very generous to at least let us know that this items exists. I wish I can hear that items of course, but I wouldn't like to hear them if I don't know they exist, and for me, to know that they exists, is really something big that I'm truly happy to know.

Gracie Mimmo, thanks a lot.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2016, 07:51:49 PM »
Private Investigations might be interesting.  With no intro it's "only" around 5:45 (as per MFN compilation or single version) and yet here it shows 7:07, a real extended version.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2016, 11:59:24 PM »
I respect people for their choices to do whatever they wish when it comes down to how you utilize things they've bought for their own earned money. That is the main rule. But respecting private ownership is one thing, judging them is another.

If I chose to buy a sportscar or a highly vintage single malt, then I can choose to experience these things fully on my own or with those I invite along.

However... the sportscar might someday end up in a junkyard and the bottle of whisky might one day be empty. They might also never be used at all but are there only for to look at, and not experience. Music is no such thing, it is (if well preserved on a sustainable format) an eternal experience. And, in contrast to the car and vintage malt, something that can be duplicated. This is the weakness, but let's separate mass industry from rarely heard gems.

So, it's all a matter of how you want to come across in the eyes of others. If you invented or bought a note with the cure for a disease, would you hold onto it just for the sake of feeling special and priviliged - or would you actually give a shit and let those in need share it with you? It's a drastic analogy but what good will it be on the day you leave this earth? You died feeling special in your own world meanwhile others remembers you in a whole nother perspective. And what if the record turns out to be unplayable in 30-40 years? Did it get a backup? So, if someone actually maybe made a digital backup it would be the world's most special USB-stick right?

You are a collector of music? Wow, that's fantastic... You can pat yourself on the back or let those who suck up to you pat it for you.

The person or persons who, for example, once got a hold of the Golden Demos and eventually decided to share these -  are they less special today? - do they walk this earth now feeling saddened they let a gem go in favor of all other fans? Rhetorical question, I'm just amazed that some collector didn't go into outer space to recover the golden record onboard the Voyager.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:10:15 AM by border_reiver »
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2016, 01:10:22 PM »
Good point, Border Reiver, it´s a very delicate situation, and that´s why I thank Mimmo to share some of that stuff he has.

For a collector, there are certain items that you got paying big amounts of money, or that you got dealing with the previous owners and you got them with an "advert" like "this is just for you, don´t share it or you won´t get anything else" etc etc etc. It´s complicate, but there are stuff that you cannot share with others for whatever the reasons, but you can talk about them. You have to decide if you keep that items just for you and nobody else will know they exists, or you can decide to share the existence of this items even you can not share them (let other people listen to them or have them).

I don´t mind the reason why someone who has those items can not, or doesn´t want to share them. It´s personnal, I can not force anyone to share anything if they don't can/want. I´m more than happy just knowing this items exist.

I´d love to listen to that special Tunnel Of Love version, but I´m happy to know they exist even I can not listen to it. I know that other people can't stand this and they rather don´t know about things they can not get their hands on. It's hard to know such a nice thing exist and you can't listen to it, but, you never know... we all know by the MK biographies that "Summer's Comming My Way" existed and then, many years later, one of the owners of it decides to show it in a radio and allow the fans to listen at least a portion of it.

But if we attack the owners of those items, the only thing we are going to achieve is that they decide not allow anyone to listen to it in the future, or to let others know that other fantastic items. For me is just a matter of basic respect. I more than open to let Mimmo to talk to me about millions of things that I am not to listen by whatever the reason. The simple fact that probably the biggest collector in the world about MK decides to share the knowledge of those items is more than enough for me.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 01:57:27 PM by jbaent »

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2016, 02:38:17 PM »
Good point, Border Reiver, it´s a very delicate situation, and that´s why I thank Mimmo to share some of that stuff he has.

For a collector, there are certain items that you got paying big amounts of money, or that you got dealing with the previous owners and you got them with an "advert" like "this is just for you, don´t share it or you won´t get anything else" etc etc etc. It´s complicate, but there are stuff that you cannot share with others for whatever the reasons, but you can talk about them. You have to decide if you keep that items just for you and nobody else will know they exists, or you can decide to share the existence of this items even you can not share them (let other people listen to them or have them).

See, this is what I never will get. Unless you are prohibited via a signed legal agreement not to "share", then what's stopping you? You still have the "special item" in your possession, right? This still makes you "special" because you are holding onto the physical thing containing the music. Music isn't something tangible, and this is the paradox. Collectors' items are being sold every year for high values (for an example just say The Beatles)... still most of this music have been heard in one way or the other and in some cases already released.

I don´t mind the reason why someone who has those items can not, or doesn´t want to share them. It´s personnal, I can not force anyone to share anything if they don't can/want. I´m more than happy just knowing this items exist.

I´d love to listen to that special Tunnel Of Love version, but I´m happy to know they exist even I can not listen to it. I know that other people can't stand this and they rather don´t know about things they can not get their hands on. It's hard to know such a nice thing exist and you can't listen to it, but, you never know... we all know by the MK biographies that "Summer's Comming My Way" existed and then, many years later, one of the owners of it decides to show it in a radio and allow the fans to listen at least a portion of it.

On this we agree, I don't lose much sleep over not having heard this (although I am thankful that BBC brought us small clips). I care about the more important things in life.

I hope that these things one day will see the light and a box set will be available for $79 or something like that. My point is, once the artist releases this stuff in hi-def format the values and the "specialness" drops vast levels. So uptil then it's all a matter of feeling a bit better than everybody else because your control and self-glorification plant needs constant nutrient.

But if we attack the owners of those items, the only thing we are going to achieve is that they decide not allow anyone to listen to it in the future, or to let others know that other fantastic items. For me is just a matter of basic respect. I more than open to let Mimmo to talk to me about millions of things that I am not to listen by whatever the reason. The simple fact that probably the biggest collector in the world about MK decides to share the knowledge of those items is more than enough for me.

If you feel like you are attacked for playing Uncle Scrooge then watch out for life itself, one fine day there are far more worse things coming your way. Better stay inside while basking in your own glory.  ;)

During the 2001 tour I taped one of the best sounding audience recordings from that tour. I held onto the MiniDisc for about one week before the fun of being the only one was over and I spread it worldwide like a sea cucumber in the ocean. See, my pride from this is knowing that I did something for other fans and not just for myself.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 02:53:57 PM by border_reiver »
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2016, 11:16:31 PM »
I am not certain that Mimmo is in an easy situation, he owns things that he has no copy or even performance rights over them.
That said, keeping these jewels unheard is also just somewhat plain shit. So an equation without real solution as Mark seems to have no interested in.
If only Bob could provide him some inspiration on that matter...
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2016, 01:52:37 AM »
Has anyone ever seen the violent arguments that occur amongst Queen fans regarding a (possibly unique) acetate of an unreleased studio song of theirs called Hangman ? (An interesting consensus to this is, from the many live versions performed, it`s not a very good song btw)
It would`t take much of a google to view some of the intense discussions they have, the difference to this one being that the owner of the acetate is happy to debate the situation. It certainly makes some people very very cross and to some extent I agree with pensaboy in thinking it is better not to even know these things exist :)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2016, 11:55:17 AM »
Just the other year we got the HT-demos officially released on vinyl. It can be done.

That day, when the 1% record collectors approaches MK and PCM saying: "Look, we've got this and that on tape or disc. We don't know if you still have them - we are willing at no charge (or for a reasonable fee to cover what they once gave)  to lend them - as there are amazing opportunities lying around for the sake of every fan. We ask you kindly to consider this for a future Record Store Day type of release."

That'll be the day those collectors will earn their proper respect. They will still possess the physical (still highly sought after) items and they did everything they could to make it official.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:33:33 PM by border_reiver »

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2016, 01:19:02 PM »
Just the other year we got the HT-demos officially released on vinyl. It can be done.

That day, when the 1% record collectors approaches MK and PCM saying: "Look, we've got this and that on tape or disc. We don't know if you still have them - we are willing at no charge (or for a reasonable fee to cover what they once gave)  to lend them - as there are amazing opportunities lying around for the sake of every fan. We ask you kindly to consider this for a future Record Store Day type of release."

That'll be the day those collectors will earn their proper respect. They will still possess the physical (still highly sought after) items and they did everything they could to make it official.

Don't forget to add Polygram who has exclusives rights.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2016, 01:24:20 PM »

Don't forget to add Polygram who has exclusives rights.

Yes you're right, but it was kind of the principle idea I was aiming for.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2016, 01:24:45 PM »
I am not certain that Mimmo is in an easy situation, he owns things that he has no copy or even performance rights over them.
That said, keeping these jewels unheard is also just somewhat plain shit. So an equation without real solution as Mark seems to have no interested in.
If only Bob could provide him some inspiration on that matter...

Spreading privately or publicly but anonymously are both very simple solutions

Sooner or later the source whould be known.
Don't forget that theses acetates are quite unique.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2016, 08:43:58 AM »
Something curious I just discovered about the "Summer´s Coming My Way" demo recording...

According to MKNEWS, it was recorded in Pudsey, Leeds, but according to Dave Johnson, it was recorded in Bramley.

There is one Bramley in the London area, and I recall that in some official sources years ago it was said that demo was recorded in London, until the Pudsey name came in the official biogs in MKNEWS.

I wonder which is the correct version. I know that the MKNEWS is the "official" one, but I guess that musicians that played on it are reliable source of it...

There is another Bramley in Leeds, but it looks like a different place than Pudsey...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 08:49:12 AM by jbaent »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 38 queries.