Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK's impact/influence on you, your life etc  (Read 359 times)

Offlineprivinvest

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
MK's impact/influence on you, your life etc
« on: April 20, 2024, 05:55:17 PM »
Do you recognize any MK influence on your life? In what ways and to what degree?

His style, lyrics, worldview, "philosophy," values, approach to his craft, aesthetics, morality, sense of humour, things he choose and not choose to do, how he presents himself (to the world), how he conducts himself in life, how he observes life/people/things/relationships/love/politics, what he reads/listens etc.

Hope it's not  silly question, or what we call in Turkey "entel dantel", kind of pretentious.

I'd love to think that he does but I couldn't pin it down immediately or even after some effort.

We all love his art, adore him personally (no?), although we may have criticisms, questions, puzzlements from time to time, but my question is if he (had?) died without recording anything, how much different we would be individually?

Maybe we would (have?) found someone else to like and go on in life without any difference. Or maybe not.

And finally we can say something about the lyrics, interviews etc but the "spiritual" impact of music on the "soul" is much more difficult to analyse or even to be conscious of. Music maybe the most powerful and mysterious of all arts, to decipher how he affects (?) us is more difficult than, say, literature.

Hope I haven't bored you much

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
Re: MK's impact/influence on you, your life etc
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2024, 06:20:09 PM »
Do you feel this thread https://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=8743.0 has come to a conclusion already? You started it, but you're not involved in the discussion  :think

Offlineprivinvest

• Guitar George
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2024, 06:37:47 PM »
i liked the answers, esp yours, and learned and benefit from them but do not have anything to add at the moment

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 06:43:14 PM »
Well, I learned to play guitar (sort of) because of him.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2024, 06:48:30 PM »
Same. I also learned all sorts of things which otherwise I would never have heard of, not just from the world of music.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2024, 11:05:29 PM »
After discovering Marks solo career (I joined AMIT to whine and ask why wasn't Alchemy on DVD) I have learnt to appreciate artists that defy popularism. Similarly with Bob Dylan, Mark has never really done what the industry would say 'is required'. In spite of DS popularity he shunned music videos and then went on to have one of the best known in the 80s almost by accident. The lack of pumping out hits at concerts (like most rock stars would) is confounding and I've learnt that this kind of headstrong artistic direction is what made the music special in the first place. I admire that. MK would know better than most that you can't please everyone all the time & he has seemingly shaken that off at a very young age.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 11:09:55 PM by Fletch »
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 35 queries.