Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 605888 times)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #615 on: May 29, 2012, 11:02:13 AM »
I would not say that Guy is planning his time AFTER MK. He's a musician and like most of them he does not really know what will happen for him tomorrow. Of course he's very lucky to have been asked years after years to work for Mark and to make a good living from that.
A great majority of musician make their (not so easy) living from working for another, being able to become a recording artist of its own is for very few. And Guy does not produce "chart topping music" and seem not that intererted to do it. As an artist he's lucky to be able to make the music he want without commercial input/pressure. This is not question of being pro or not this just question of art.

And if comes the day that Mark does not hire him anymore Guy may be asked by other "star" to work for and make living from.

My 0.02
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #616 on: May 29, 2012, 11:03:55 AM »
Well, he has his own career as musician, he also does film scores. Actually he was absent from some.Shangrila promo (he doesn't play at the trawlerman live, they were Jim and Matt) and  he wasn't part of most of the Emmylou Harris sessions because he was working on some film scores. It's true that he's more focused with MK during the last years but he's still working in some projects without MK...

About his records, I'd say he made them for pleasure, not in order to start a career, same as Richard Bennett. They don't make their living with that records but as sessions musicians.

We have forgot that Guy was a demanded synth player (look his discography) and also as an engineer, producer, arranger etc etc

And yes, it may be true he might look bored when answering lately, but I guess is more because he's busy or we are asking questions he can't answer it he did many times before.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #617 on: May 29, 2012, 03:37:59 PM »
his reply today says it all, and it is the simple truth, and i have to say i understand it " my replies sure reflect my mood, and sometimes i am in a hurry and so are my replies, and i will not apologise for that"
considering the number of nutters asking the same old shit, time and again, i think we can pray on our bare knees that he still does what he does.
what annoys me at times is that when people ask a twofold (or more) question that he often replies as if there was only one, and then it is not clear to which quesion the reply should fit. but i suppose that is mostly when he cannot release any more info...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #618 on: May 29, 2012, 04:01:12 PM »
The only answer he can do with total freedom his about his own music but it is obvious that the vast majority of people on his forum are there because he's the closest person to Mark we can talk with.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #619 on: May 29, 2012, 05:19:32 PM »
Guy's short answers don't surprise me at all. Quite frankly, I think Guy's forum demonstrates that there really is such a thing as a stupid question. Half of the "questions" that get posted on there are either obviously questions that Guy can't answer or are just random thoughts that don't actually ask anything. Just look at the last page or so and you'll see what I mean. If I had to spend time answering those types of queries everyday, I would have become burnt out and quit a long time ago, so I give Guy a lot of credit for continuing to read and answer the madness that gets posted there. Some examples:

Hi Guy, which will the single be of the album? And are there solos of MK's guitar?ciao Tony
f*ck***** a double album!**** f*ck**** Thank you all**** beautiful**** f*ck**** love you guys****
You're ot THE Messiah? I say you are Lord!!!and I should know. I've followed a few. Many thanks for the album update, can't wait!!!!!
Hi, Doc! Very exciting about the good news! Any chance of having a single from "Privateering" soon? Maybe in Spotify, iTunes, radio stations... Can't wait! Cheers!
about the new record... What about the special edition and his content? and the single? and the list of special guests?

and the list goes on and on...
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #620 on: May 29, 2012, 06:58:15 PM »
+1 Dan, absolutely.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #621 on: May 29, 2012, 07:59:45 PM »
Hey!
There is one question by me in that Dan selection!!!!
Whats wrong asking by the special edition, the list of musicians etc? Its the normal information when you announce a record release  :)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #622 on: May 29, 2012, 10:11:08 PM »
Reference from the past, as twittered by Guy
http://t.co/XySPqtEn

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #623 on: May 30, 2012, 10:49:29 AM »
I sent to Guy by e-mail a rar file with the STP and RPD sessions diary, and one or two days later, here you have  :)

I

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #624 on: May 30, 2012, 06:07:38 PM »
Thanks Pottel. Many photos I haven't seen. But why can they buy a better camera.  ;D 
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #625 on: June 01, 2012, 11:01:20 AM »
I didn't asked a question about Dire Straits, setlists, the brand of his underpants.. I asked him this: Do you ever feel that your work with Mark overshadows your own musical work Guy? I can imagine that there are a lot of people who always link you to Mark, because you have worked with him since 1983, don't you ever have the feeling that you want to be seen as a musician on your own, rather than that you're always linked to Mark? Please do not take it offensive, and I'll completely understand if you don't want to answer my question. Cheers! Lars

Doesn't seem very rude to me..

I got this answer: Mark who?

Last time I ask Mr.Fletcher a question.. ???
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Love Expresso

« Reply #626 on: June 01, 2012, 11:10:56 AM »
Yeah, same with me.  >:(

LE

Offlinerudiger

• Camerado
« Reply #627 on: June 01, 2012, 11:23:55 AM »
I didn't asked a question about Dire Straits, setlists, the brand of his underpants.. I asked him this: Do you ever feel that your work with Mark overshadows your own musical work Guy? I can imagine that there are a lot of people who always link you to Mark, because you have worked with him since 1983, don't you ever have the feeling that you want to be seen as a musician on your own, rather than that you're always linked to Mark? Please do not take it offensive, and I'll completely understand if you don't want to answer my question. Cheers! Lars

Doesn't seem very rude to me..

I got this answer: Mark who?

Last time I ask Mr.Fletcher a question.. ???

I'm afraid you see it in a wrong way: I find Guy's answer really humorous

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #628 on: June 01, 2012, 11:25:48 AM »
Lars, actually Guy

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #629 on: June 01, 2012, 11:33:57 AM »
I don't find Guy's answer rude at all.  It's just the English dry sense of humour!    ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 36 queries.