Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: David Knopfler crowd funding next album  (Read 32324 times)

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
Re: David Knopfler crowd funding next album
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2015, 10:14:02 PM »
I often wonder why so many MK fans despise David.
At least he resurrected this little gem from the Dire Straits debut era. One of the little brothers creations that were so called 'not good enough' for MK / DS. Who said David is not that good of a songwriter ?

I have the very same question Trawlerman!!! :thumbsup :wave
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

11-54_Stringcheese

« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2015, 02:26:04 AM »
At least he resurrected this little gem from the Dire Straits debut era. One of the little brothers creations that were so called 'not good enough' for MK / DS. Who said David is not that good of a songwriter ?

I don't despise him, as a matter of fact I think he's a lot of good songs, and the albums are well made. But I struggle with his voice. It's weak, and his singing is constantly bordering on being off key. Plus he's lacking the "x factor" which seperates the great artitst from the ok artists.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2015, 09:38:02 AM »

I don't despise him, as a matter of fact I think he's a lot of good songs, and the albums are well made. But I struggle with his voice. It's weak, and his singing is constantly bordering on being off key. Plus he's lacking the "x factor" which seperates the great artitst from the ok artists.

It's his voice that bothers me too, as well as a few other things, but I certainly don't despise him!   Having sat immediately in front of him for two hours listening to him in concert, his voice was constantly going off-key and was pretty weak.   Not too keen on the gruffiness which he slips into either.  If it wasn't for Harry he'd be lost I'm afraid.     

BTW Southside Tenements is very nice indeed and I enjoyed it - I would have liked to hear something more like that when I heard him.   
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:18:47 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2015, 09:20:26 PM »
A bit off topis but this is also hilarious:

DS performed with Playback Madonnas Daughter with DK lead vocals, watch at 3:05 how the sax players forgets it   ;D
Cheers Peter

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2015, 10:19:23 PM »
A bit off topis but this is also hilarious:

DS performed with Playback Madonnas Daughter with DK lead vocals, watch at 3:05 how the sax players forgets it   ;D

Yes Peter I watched it one time and I noticed also that they were smiling a lot in the beginning!! I discovered another vid about DK talking about his Brother:

Have somebody watched this before and if yes what did you thought about what was said on this very interesting interview, specially when DK said that MK needed his little brother for his first albums of DS??
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2015, 08:32:50 AM »

Yes Peter I watched it one time and I noticed also that they were smiling a lot in the beginning!! I discovered another vid about DK talking about his Brother:

Have somebody watched this before and if yes what did you thought about what was said on this very interesting interview, specially when DK said that MK needed his little brother for his first albums of DS??

Actually it´s not a video about DK talking about his brother but a BBC special about brothers in rock bands, and this one obviously talks about Knopfler brothers and, as it looks that MK rejected to be part of it, you can see DK, Ed Bicknell, Muff Winwood (DS first album producer) and Bob Harris (BBC Old Grey Whistle Test presenter) talking about it. The fact that MK didn´t want to be in this documentary, makes it looks like it´s DK talking about MK, but the idea was talk about brothers in the rock band Dire Straits.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2015, 08:45:06 AM »
yes Jbaent. I understood that it was on DS on the first place but I wonder just why DK had to say what he said. And that goes also for what Ed Bicknell told about the Oh Shut up, that MK said to DK during the recording sessions?? I thought Bicknell was still friend with MK dans in 2005!!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2015, 09:00:20 AM »
I thought Bicknell was still friend with MK dans in 2005!!

no I think they "split" around 2000-2002, STP being the last album "with" Ed

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2015, 09:32:01 AM »
I thought Bicknell was still friend with MK dans in 2005!!

no I think they "split" around 2000-2002, STP being the last album "with" Ed

I did not remember the exact date!! Thanks JF, then it explains why he was so talkative about MK and his little brother!! Before he would not have done it!!

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2015, 11:34:07 AM »
With all due respect, Marijo, I'm afraid you lump together a range of unrelated issues, such as quaint ways of working of DK, which are discussed here, and ethical implications of some events, that sank into oblivion 30 odd years ago.
How much water flowed under the bridge ever since. All the parties involved in those affairs already went through 'the change of life', and some of them obviously not without loss...

I wonder just why DK had to say what he said.

Just try a google search for 'passive-aggressive behavior', there is plenty of reading on that subject, - and then everything will fall right into place.

And that goes also for what Ed Bicknell told about the Oh Shut up, that MK said to DK during the recording sessions??

Low blow.
MK always suffered from stammering. It was sickening to hear when Bicknell was trying to ape his manner of speaking.

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2015, 11:50:50 AM »
Sorry Throttle. you can delete my previous post with the link on YouTube of this program on DS in 2005. I understand what you mean!! Have a nice day Everybody!!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2015, 02:05:27 PM »
yes Jbaent. I understood that it was on DS on the first place but I wonder just why DK had to say what he said. And that goes also for what Ed Bicknell told about the Oh Shut up, that MK said to DK during the recording sessions?? I thought Bicknell was still friend with MK dans in 2005!!

because the documentary talks about brothers in rock band, and in this case, the brothers are David and Mark, and the logical thing is talk about them, and that´s what happens. David talks about MK and about him, Ed talks about DK and MK, also does Muff Winwood...

Which part of it you don´t get?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2015, 02:16:28 PM »
What I don't understand is that why the Medias are always trying to put down famous Rock Band!! It's so obvious that they want always to point out the negative things in being famous and rich and its heavy costs!!  That was what I was wondering!! Throttle will be upset soon so I better stop! Thanks.

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2015, 02:34:37 PM »
Throttle will be upset soon...

It never crossed my mind. Please, keep going.
You probably mixed me up with someone else.  :think

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2015, 02:42:35 PM »
Thanks Throttle!! You're right I must have made a confusion with someone else!! Oups..

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 40 queries.