Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert #01:2012.10.05, MTS Centre, Winnipeg, Canada,# SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 79383 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Concert #01:2012.10.05, MTS Centre, Winnipeg, Canada,# SPOILER AHEAD #
« Reply #150 on: October 16, 2012, 04:03:45 PM »
Hi all,

Glad to read many positive reviews. Yon two crows is good indeed
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Onlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #151 on: October 16, 2012, 04:18:57 PM »
Hi all,

Glad to read many positive reviews. Yon two crows is good indeed
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 04:21:05 PM by herlock »

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #152 on: October 16, 2012, 04:39:16 PM »
Herlock, no matter my opinion, as you said the glass is half. If we are optimists and we say half full, or rather depressed and say half empty, the fact is that it is still half.   ;D It used to be full, no matter how much we drunk from it. And I really don't care about it, since it is only music, and supposed to be fun. Have so many other things to be depressed about...

(And yes, one of them is MK.com. I have only received the simple version of the album. More than 2 months after the order and payment. )
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineMaroretto

• Local Hero
« Reply #153 on: October 16, 2012, 04:52:57 PM »

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:11:10 PM by Maroretto »

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #154 on: October 16, 2012, 05:10:01 PM »
Redbud tree ! BRAVO  :clap :clap :clap Love it and love the way Richard played on this
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:14:19 PM by kaleo74 »
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #155 on: October 16, 2012, 05:15:10 PM »
No offence taken Herlock.  I respect your point of view.  The fact is that I have to open my heart to someone over this and who better than you folk here;  the experts who understand what I am talking about.

I understand this isn't 1985, but last year was such a thrill having him back in such an energetic form it really bode well for the 2013 tour.  Now, I hear this and I'm not sure if he'll even manage the 2013 tour at all.  The set for this current tour is one that just doesn't work for me, having no showcase song for Mark to finish on a high e.g. Speedway, TR, TOL...  Marbletown??? 

I don't ever want to hear that tripe again!  I listened to the Winnipeg version and tried really hard but my mind wandered off at some point and missed a couple of minutes.  Didn't sound any different to me.  Can anyone sustain their full attention for the entire duration of this song?  It's a tester, that's for sure!

Can you imagine him playing Sultans or TR right now?  Ouch!  What is going to happen on the next tour?  Did you hear WII from Vancouver?  How bad was that.  Never knew he could play that poorly, and that's a few shows into the tour. :-[

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #156 on: October 16, 2012, 05:30:10 PM »
His voice is very wobbly, hope he is doing the Matt Rollins warm up. Loving I Used to Could and Redbud. Privateering was better last year and Knoxville is great fun. I also think its very hard to judge a performance from a audience or soundboard recording. Nothing beats being there, and those who won't be seeing him next year because of the recordings are making a mistake.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #158 on: October 16, 2012, 05:43:45 PM »

You guys are really depressing... :p (no offense intended, everybody is entitled to his own opinions of course)
As for me I like to see the bright side of life; yes, Mark is 63, this is not 1985 anymore, we won't hear again crazy TOL solos, etc...
But...
Things improve sometimes !
We used to complain that Mark was not promoting his new album (KTGC anyone ?) => now we've got no less than 7 new songs ! Some of which are real killers and potential for development (Yon Two Crows, especially) !
We used to complain that WII was too laid-back => the fast licks are back !
We used to complain that songs we are always played the same way from tour to tour => Marbletown is a good example that this is not true !
When Mark plays live like on the album, we say "what a shame, no live extension", and when Mark plays extended solos, we say "what a scandal ! he should have played like this on the album !" aren't we spoiled kids sometimes ? ;)

Why can't we just see the bottle hafl full rather than half empty ?

Just my 2 cents :) Love u all even if you don't share my views.

You misunderstood me mate. I underlined the fact that I liked Mark's playing during the last two BD tours. I think he plays really well, I really do. I also think that it's good to see them playing oldies that were rarely played before and some new tunes which deserve to be played. Enough with the Bonaparte, So far away etc. I LOVE all those songs but they have been overplayed.

That said, I just say that I don't like how they sound, compared to the 2005-2010 band. That's just my opinion, for what it counts. What I liked in that band was their energy, I liked the shows despite repetitive set lists
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:45:46 PM by NicoMK »

Offlineanother brother

• Local Hero
« Reply #159 on: October 16, 2012, 06:07:46 PM »
The new live entries are amazing

what a quality ... indeed, just 1,5 month after album release the next live song for eternity, ...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #160 on: October 16, 2012, 06:08:24 PM »

That said, I just say that I don't like how they sound, compared to the 2005-2010 band. That's just my opinion, for what it counts. What I liked in that band was their energy, I liked the shows despite repetitive set lists

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #161 on: October 16, 2012, 06:44:27 PM »
I really couldn't care less about the band.  So long as they're good, then that's fine.  It's Mark I want to go and see.  He's the man - always was and always will be.

If I may, you're not quite right.  ;)
Sure Mark is an amazing songwriter and guitarist and has always been surrounded by phenomenal, whether we like them or not. They are professional musicians indeed, but not all them are great, I'm sorry. That's why the band sounded so different so many times in so many years.

But I will continue thinking that some guys he used to work with were better suited for the job than some others. If not, why many people here and there say that Chris Whitten was not a good drummer for Dire Straits? Just an example

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #162 on: October 16, 2012, 06:55:14 PM »
I really couldn't care less about the band.  So long as they're good, then that's fine.  It's Mark I want to go and see.  He's the man - always was and always will be.

Sure Mark is an amazing songwriter and guitarist and has always been surrounded by phenomenal, whether we like them or not. They are professional musicians indeed, but not all them are great, I'm sorry. That's why the band sounded so different so many times in so many years.

But I will continue thinking that some guys he used to work with were better suited for the job than some others. If not, why many people here and there say that Chris Whitten was not a good drummer for Dire Straits? Just an example

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #163 on: October 16, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »

You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #164 on: October 16, 2012, 07:07:56 PM »
Well, often there are time restrictions for TV shows so no sound checks or solos.  They also have a studio setting which has very different acoustics to a usual venue.  The songs are also often new and not yet perfected.  However, some of my favourite versions of WII are from the promo tours.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 39 queries.