Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: David Knopfler on being not on speaking terms with Mark  (Read 27873 times)

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
Re: David Knopfler on being not on speaking terms with Mark
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 07:22:44 PM »
Maybe I'm being cynical, but all this has happened just when MK's album seems to be doing well and it's time for DK to start airing his grievances again!  ::)

Not cynical but realistic and very sad Superval!! ::) :wave
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 08:38:16 PM »
They are bros and share the same blood. Can you imagine how could you be affected in same situation?
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 08:51:52 PM »
I know exactly what it is to see two brothers tearing themselves apart Ds1984. I had this mess in my own family!! And it is not funny at all!! And on the top of that their story is again in the newspaper!!! I feel sorry for both of them!!!
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »
I think that probably David is upset by the release of the Honky Tonk Demos, with his song deleted, and probably he's not getting a penny of it.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 11:46:34 PM »
I think that probably David is upset by the release of the Honky Tonk Demos, with his song deleted, and probably he's not getting a penny of it.

I would feel upset by that as well..
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinebrickbat

• Local Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2015, 03:37:07 PM »
Yes he will, like John and Pick (and Mark of course) under the newly formed 2015 copyright Dire Straits Limited. The reason why Sacred Love was excluded could also be because 5 songs do not fit comfortably on 2 singles but 4 do...

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 04:31:17 PM »
It is unfortunate that DK has not been able to move past the DS years. When I look at the early videos of the two brothers together, I clearly see that DK admired and “keyed off” of MK. However, in things he has said since, I get the idea that he does not have a clear picture of both of their abilities. I think DK views himself as talented as MK. With that as a premise, it is understandable why he has trouble accepting that Mark was so successful and he was not. And adding to the mix, from I think the Palmer book, one of their teachers described DK as a bit spoiled.  In DK’s mind with his talent equal to Mark's and being "the cute one”,  he probably thinks he should have been at least equally as successful. Niggling in the back of his mind has to be the idea, though, that he blew the opportunity of a lifetime which makes it hard to put to rest. In his defense, though if you watch those old videos carefully, you can see the domineering attitude of the older brother in Mark (i.e. that old Norweigian interview where Mark can't get his cigarette lighter to work and he says to DK "you do it" in a rather commanding way rather than asking nicely as he would have done to anyone but his younger brother!) which must have been hard for DK to accept as they grew older.

Offlinejakehadlee

• Local Hero
    • Dire Streets
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2015, 11:50:21 AM »
I can understand why DK gets wound up. It was their band, not MK's band, but it ended up being just MK and some musicians.

David is a journeyman and Mark is an artist, and I think DK knows that and admits it. It's no surprise MK became the focus - but I do think it was wrong of MK to not include any of David's songs on the albums. Although David is nowhere near as good a songwriter as Mark, David's best songs are better than Mark's worst.

Would it really have hurt to have one DK song on Making Movies instead of the frankly awful Les Boys? It would only have improved the album.

And I'm sure the world wouldn't have been a lesser place if we'd never heard Follow Me Home and had a DK song on there instead. I don't even like DK's material - but that's such a nothing song that anything could have replaced it.

MK was obviously a control freak and a bully, and I'm not really surprised his brother is still hurting about now.

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2015, 01:12:26 PM »

Would it really have hurt to have one DK song on Making Movies instead of the frankly awful Les Boys? It would only have improved the album.

:thumbsup
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

foma

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2015, 01:36:44 PM »
:thumbsup

Yeah, but I only can see in Mark's world 'All songs written by Mark Knopfler' written on the back of the record, I guess it was inspired by Bob Dylan, who did it first with his ‘The Times They Are a-Changin'. I'm pretty surprised Mark even added some traditional songs and Sting collaboration also stands out.

But nothing wrong here on Mark's side. As an old proverb says, If you want a thing done well, do it yourself, so Dire Straits = Mark Knopfler to me.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 03:53:47 PM »
I've always been proud to be able to say to my friends that Mark Knopfler writes, sings and plays guitar on all the songs so to include some of David's songs would not have been a good thing for me!  Besides, for an album to be artistically cohesive isn't it better having it created from the mind of one person as a whole rather than having a number of ideas thrown together? 
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2015, 04:55:35 PM »
I've always been proud to be able to say to my friends that Mark Knopfler writes, sings and plays guitar on all the songs so to include some of David's songs would not have been a good thing for me!  Besides, for an album to be artistically cohesive isn't it better having it created from the mind of one person as a whole rather than having a number of ideas thrown together?

I can understand how hard it must have been for David, realizing that the group will never be a democracy, and that he had to be submissive forever to his own brother... I think it would have been fair to include a few of David's songs - after all, "What's the matter baby" was played almost every night in concert ! and it's a good song !
Let's not forget something strange: there was not one, but two break ups between Mark and David. The first one, dated August 1980, is the well-known one during the MM sessions; but after that, it looked liked there were brothers in arms again - David happy to have earned his freedom, and Mark kindly helping his younger brother with his first solo album. This was in 1984, so quite long afterwards, during Alchemy times were DS started to be incredibly successful, yet it seems that David was ok with that ! There was a second break up, dated unknown (at least lto me), but which resulted in a long-term bitterness, which is still not over and probably never will. What was the cause ? did David believe that he would get some royalties he finally never got ? is it a money issue ? Mystery...

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2015, 05:01:40 PM »
It was when the "sultans of swing" compilation was released. Bicknell and MK made sure that royalties to David from the songs in which he plays or the first two albums stop, so David won't receive any penny from his years in Dire Straits.

David released on his site a note telling that it was very hard that it was his own brother, very rich, who was doing this to him, his brother, beyond the legality of it.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2015, 05:07:43 PM »
It was when the "sultans of swing" compilation was released. Bicknell and MK made sure that royalties to David from the songs in which he plays or the first two albums stop, so David won't receive any penny from his years in Dire Straits.

David released on his site a note telling that it was very hard that it was his own brother, very rich, who was doing this to him, his brother, beyond the legality of it.

Really?  :think :think :think >:(
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2015, 05:10:39 PM »

So that is the real proplem between MK and DK, royalties!!! Money money!!!! Well it's a never ending story!! Thanks dmg. :wave

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 41 queries.