Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark Knopfler Solo Album Elimination Poll - Round 3  (Read 6287 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Mark Knopfler Solo Album Elimination Poll - Round 3
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2021, 11:58:41 AM »
I listened to the latest two albums this morning (along with AC's Backstory) and changed my mind upon my order.  Tracker is now numero uno on my hit list; such a dull list of songs.  DtRW has some really good songs. 

Trapper Man - such a good song with even his vocal sounding energetic
Nobody Does That - nice funky number like he's never released before
Drovers' Road - quality man
One Song at a Time - Classic
and all three bonus tracks are fab.

So vote Tracker - right!!! ;)

Yes, there are lots of great songs on DTRW but, I really can't share Mark's passion for brass instruments be it on the album or on the tour. Terrible! So, good bye DTRW!

BTW, Tracker is one of my favourites.  ;)

Oh yes the Horns - another valid reason to say bye bye to DTRW!!!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2021, 12:28:00 PM »
Please drop all the horns for the new album Mark.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2021, 12:30:55 PM »
Please drop all the horns for the new album Mark.

Oh I do hope so........

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2021, 12:43:35 PM »
I listened to the latest two albums this morning (along with AC's Backstory) and changed my mind upon my order.  Tracker is now numero uno on my hit list; such a dull list of songs.  DtRW has some really good songs. 

I listen and enjoy the whole of Tracker, including the bonus songs, but on DTRW I can only get as far as OSAAT without my mind wandering!  Drover's Road is my favourite.

DTRW has become an 'Occasional' album for me unlike Tracker which I listen to a lot more.....

I really only listen to Drovers, OSAAT and the bonus material....Tracker - well I just can't fault it!! Lights of Taormina - well my lordies!!!!

There's something uncomfortable for me about the way he sings Taormina.  Either his phrasing is all wrong or there's too many lyrics for the music - it just sounds awful.  The guitar doesn't have a great sound either tbh.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2021, 12:56:57 PM »

I listen and enjoy the whole of Tracker, including the bonus songs, but on DTRW I can only get as far as OSAAT without my mind wandering!  Drover's Road is my favourite.

DTRW has become an 'Occasional' album for me unlike Tracker which I listen to a lot more.....

I really only listen to Drovers, OSAAT and the bonus material....Tracker - well I just can't fault it!! Lights of Taormina - well my lordies!!!!

There's something uncomfortable for me about the way he sings Taormina.  Either his phrasing is all wrong or there's too many lyrics for the music - it just sounds awful.  The guitar doesn't have a great sound either tbh.

LOT is just amazing and one can immediately think they are in Taormina listening to the first few bars of the opening! I haven't noticed anything 'wrong' with his phrasing or indeed the music - in fact I love the sound of the slide on his guitar which to me adds depth to the track.....Beautiful and stunning!!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2021, 01:06:33 PM »

LOT is just amazing and one can immediately think they are in Taormina listening to the first few bars of the opening! I haven't noticed anything 'wrong' with his phrasing or indeed the music - in fact I love the sound of the slide on his guitar which to me adds depth to the track.....Beautiful and stunning!!

I agree.  Taomina is a beautiful song, but that is just one of many lovely songs on Tracker - it's way better than DTRW - imo of course!   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2021, 01:32:29 PM »
I'm not a very big fan of brass (and wood) wind instruments but I have to say that I love any single note of them on DTRW.

And it looks they are going to be back, as Guy insist on saying ALL THE BAND when he talks about February sessions.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2021, 01:42:31 PM »
I'm not a very big fan of brass (and wood) wind instruments but I have to say that I love any single note of them on DTRW.

And it looks they are going to be back, as Guy insist on saying ALL THE BAND when he talks about February sessions.

Horns are great when used properly, for instance, the horn section is perfect for this type of music:

Mark is of course famous for overusing some instruments in the past (putting pedal steel in everything on OES tour, for instance, then folk guys, now brass section), so I think we should get used to the horns by now lol.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2021, 05:28:31 PM »

I agree.  Taomina is a beautiful song, but that is just one of many lovely songs on Tracker - it's way better than DTRW - imo of course!   ;)

He starts singing normally then abnormally speeds up toward the end of the line as if he's try to fit in all the words and there doesn't seem to be any correlation between the pace of the music and phrasing of the lyrics. 

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2021, 05:37:27 PM »
I keep voting Tracker until it goes out.

Tracker is really a borer. The Quality and sound is excellent and it has Basil.
Love will find a Way

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2021, 05:49:22 PM »

He starts singing normally then abnormally speeds up toward the end of the line as if he's try to fit in all the words and there doesn't seem to be any correlation between the pace of the music and phrasing of the lyrics.

I'm listening to it now and I don't hear any speeding up at the end of lines.  It's the same tempo throughout! 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2021, 05:54:25 PM »
I assume dmg means more words are crammed in.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2021, 06:00:42 PM »
I assume dmg means more words are crammed in.

Maybe.   There are a lot of words, but I like the song a lot.  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2021, 08:10:27 AM »

Horns are great when used properly, for instance, the horn section is perfect for this type of music:

Mark is of course famous for overusing some instruments in the past (putting pedal steel in everything on OES tour, for instance, then folk guys, now brass section), so I think we should get used to the horns by now lol.

I actually like the pedal steel, and think Paul Franklin was a great fit for both Dire Straits and Mark solo, the folk guys addition are ok, but the Brass for me is just not Mark!!!
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2021, 10:06:32 AM »
Having pedal steel on a "rock" album was kind of innovative in a way and made for a unique sound which us die hards appreciated, not sure it helped commercially all round though. Or maybe the songs just weren't as catchy as BiA.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 38 queries.