Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: RSD 2024 EP The Boy  (Read 30540 times)

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
Re: RSD 2024 EP The Boy
« Reply #510 on: April 22, 2024, 08:06:10 PM »
17 € for shipping?? That's a lot!

All the way from Germany to the Netherlands…! But hey, I called one record store here and they wanted €36 for The Boy EP and no guarantee it’s still available as they do not make any reservations. Need to drive there (40km one way) and park my car, really can’t do that for €17 with current fuel prices. :lol

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #511 on: April 22, 2024, 08:07:01 PM »
Order made on the 18th.... I live in the Azores.
check the map... its in the middle of the Atlantic

Wow, that must be a cool place to live!
Funny how shipping costs 17€ to Germany and _nothing_ to the Azores  :lol
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinehfscardoso

• Guitar George
« Reply #512 on: April 22, 2024, 10:21:29 PM »
Order made on the 18th.... I live in the Azores.
check the map... its in the middle of the Atlantic

Wow, that must be a cool place to live!
Funny how shipping costs 17€ to Germany and _nothing_ to the Azores  :lol

Very cool place indeed :-)

the one downside is that orders take more time to arrive ;-)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #513 on: April 22, 2024, 10:39:14 PM »
Can someone send me a link??? Thanks

32 posts in 12 years and about 30 of them are begging for links.  ::)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #514 on: April 22, 2024, 11:54:49 PM »

Still slightly better than the bloke showing up around the time of every release since.... 2019  ::) :lol
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinehfscardoso

• Guitar George
« Reply #515 on: April 23, 2024, 12:03:07 AM »

Still slightly better than the bloke showing up around the time of every release since.... 2019  ::) :lol

Thank you for the support  ;D I'm not a great poster, indeed... but a good reader. Is it really 12 years???  Time flies!!!!

Offlinejohnmullin

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #516 on: April 23, 2024, 12:40:24 AM »
This is so frustrating.  I have no use for physical media, especially LPs.  I'd happily pay for these songs if there were a legit way to do so.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #517 on: April 23, 2024, 07:51:45 AM »
It is true that "All Comers" hits you at the very first listening but, when I played the EP for the first time, it was "Mr Solomon said" the one that caught my attention and sounded more promising, and after being all morning yesterday listening to the digitalized files at work on constant repeat, it's that song my favorite of all the record.

And all the songs are very beautiful indeed, maybe "The Boy" is the one I like the less, but "Mr Solomon" is my number one if I had to choose only one song from this EP.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #518 on: April 23, 2024, 09:10:24 AM »
It is true that "All Comers" hits you at the very first listening but, when I played the EP for the first time, it was "Mr Solomon said" the one that caught my attention and sounded more promising, and after being all morning yesterday listening to the digitalized files at work on constant repeat, it's that song my favorite of all the record.

And all the songs are very beautiful indeed, maybe "The Boy" is the one I like the less, but "Mr Solomon" is my number one if I had to choose only one song from this EP.

Oh I agree, All Comers is absolutely brilliant and in my eyes it's a journey back to the sounds of the Get Lucky sessions when the 'Folksters' appeared! Of course hearing 'All comers' at the promo event makes one slightly biased towards having that as a fave of the ep too, but I am also very keen on Mr Solomans Said as it is a perfect opener to the EP - setting the stage for four wondrous tracks that deserve to be on their own!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #519 on: April 23, 2024, 09:53:22 AM »
I  was prepared to love All Comers (after having heard it before from the video source) and it is a great song, but the true gem on this EP for me  is "The Boy". Such a wonderful piece. I take a wild guess and think that this was thought about as a possible title track of a possibly other mix of titles on the main album. The boxing background from the other songs is more a fairground one. The talk about "not fitting" I don't buy completely. You can say that about almost every song on side A of One Deep River. 

The Story of the boy, the view of parents on their son who goes to London to make his dream come true  could also be a metaper about MK himself. I haven't read such heartfelt and warm lyrics full of love from Mark in a long time. Also the music and the melody are both so beautiful. There is no song on One Deep River that is so good, although All Comers is as good in another way -full band, perfect opener, much energy, all that was said already is right of course.

Also I take a wild guess that the beautiful art work for the EP (with that nice golden glittering) was considered as art work and title of the album earlier during production. The Boy, an album about himself and his youth. Later it was then decided to change the title. From the 25 songs, an album with totally other character and style would have been possible.

LE
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 10:01:45 AM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #520 on: April 23, 2024, 10:17:55 AM »
Yes, indeed LE 'The boy' as a singular track is a very moving, pretty tune that simply draws you in especially with those very warm, loving lyrics. I particularly like

But the moon's a giant lantern,
There's no need for a light
I'll be home in good time
In the morning

Especially as at one particular time I was laid in bed with the curtains open looking into the night sky!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineAdz

• Local Hero
« Reply #521 on: April 23, 2024, 02:46:17 PM »

I have to say that I'm more of a reader than a writer, but I'm also usually very busy. I will login to post something, and then something will drag me away and I don't get back, or forget! But I do love reading what you fine people post here whenever I do visit, though.

I too queued up and waited 1.45 hours + before being allowed in to the record shop, and luckily managed to buy a copy of The Boy. In fact there was a great sense of camaraderie queuing up like that, something you just don't get elsewhere. Unfortunitely I still don't have a record deck, so despite the 3 hour round journey, I too will have to wait for some kind of digital download, or CD.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #522 on: April 23, 2024, 05:03:37 PM »
I  was prepared to love All Comers (after having heard it before from the video source) and it is a great song, but the true gem on this EP for me  is "The Boy". Such a wonderful piece. I take a wild guess and think that this was thought about as a possible title track of a possibly other mix of titles on the main album. The boxing background from the other songs is more a fairground one. The talk about "not fitting" I don't buy completely. You can say that about almost every song on side A of One Deep River. 

The Story of the boy, the view of parents on their son who goes to London to make his dream come true  could also be a metaper about MK himself. I haven't read such heartfelt and warm lyrics full of love from Mark in a long time. Also the music and the melody are both so beautiful. There is no song on One Deep River that is so good, although All Comers is as good in another way -full band, perfect opener, much energy, all that was said already is right of course.

Also I take a wild guess that the beautiful art work for the EP (with that nice golden glittering) was considered as art work and title of the album earlier during production. The Boy, an album about himself and his youth. Later it was then decided to change the title. From the 25 songs, an album with totally other character and style would have been possible.

LE

I have a slightly different opinion. The One Deep River album has a very specific vibe for me I can't explain it but each song has that something and it fits very well with the whole. “I don't hear” on the album the song The Boy or All Comers. It's a different story, also beautiful but different for me. It's good that these 4 songs made it to the EP.

"The Story of the boy, the view of parents on their son who goes to London to make his dream come true  could also be a metaper about MK himself. I haven't read such heartfelt and warm lyrics full of love from Mark in a long time. Also the music and the melody are both so beautiful"

It's true. Beautiful words.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 05:50:46 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #523 on: April 23, 2024, 10:59:46 PM »
Today I got a call from my local record store and he got one from a different store of the same company. So I am really happy I have it in the end

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #524 on: April 24, 2024, 08:18:40 AM »
Today I got a call from my local record store and he got one from a different store of the same company. So I am really happy I have it in the end

There’s still another option if necessary: https://www.cdenlp.eu/a-87551544/12-vinyl-single/mark-knopfler-boy-12in/#description

:D

I’ll get my copy from Germany today! :clap

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 36 queries.