Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: High praise album review - german  (Read 14519 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: High praise album review - german
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2018, 11:55:47 PM »
You're a musician. You analyze a lot. Music is not mathematics. Let's wait another four days.

Oh man, you're hitting pretty hard topics there. Music IS actual mathematics and physics, and I don't want to write a whole project here to prove it. Better ask Brian May what he thinks about it. He usually says that in the ancient times there was literally no difference between music and science and scientist were the musicians and vice versa (as is Brian, he's a scientist). So this is a very sensitive topic for me, because yes, I analyse the songs deeply, almost scientifically.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2018, 11:59:34 PM »
You're a musician. You analyze a lot. Music is not mathematics. Let's wait another four days.

Oh man, you're hitting pretty hard topics there. Music IS actual mathematics and physics, and I don't want to write a whole project here to prove it. Better ask Brian May what he thinks about it. He usually says that in the ancient times there was literally no difference between music and science and scientist were the musicians and vice versa (as is Brian, he's a scientist). So this is a very sensitive topic for me, because yes, I analyse the songs deeply, almost scientifically.

For me it is not maths or numbers. It is a feeling, emotions. Only it is important. Good luck  :wave
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Love Expresso

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2018, 12:02:14 AM »
Feeling and emotions are for sure the result of a good song. What it does to you and with you. Ask a drummer or Bach about the importance of counting and numbers...  ;D

LE

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2018, 12:06:19 AM »
People who create music listen to it differently.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2018, 12:10:54 AM »
Because it's exactly what I wanted to say. That it sounds AS IF most of the songs  were written very much faster and without the same care or amount of time than on earlier albums. On the writing process. Guy obviously took immense effort in polishing them later. Speaking of polish...

And...
You are implying laziness, not me. I never spoke about laziness but a new approach to songwriting.  The same with your 5 minute matchbox thing. Never said or meant that. I would call THAT unfair in a discussion.

LE

You made me think about something and I'll try the last way to express my personal "negative" thoughts (prepare the champagne folks).

Mark works with session musicians, right? I'm a hobby musician myself, but I've been on studio sessions and shows as a musician before and I can sort of put myself in Mark's musicians' shoes (at least for 1%, don't kill me ok). And some songs are just too boring for me as a musician honestly, and I bet not every musician Mark works with will praise ALL the songs they've played in. I can imagine some of them playing in some songs just doing what they was paid for and asked to play. I can imagine all them being extremely tired of playing Sultans each night.

So this is another way to put it. This is what this whole "do you have something else" line in the studio means. Of course I can play the changes, and maybe it's cool for people to hear, and maybe the songs has a killer production, which saves it ultimately, but it lacks something else.

You can say I want too much, and it's true. But somehow in the recent years Mark was able to fill this "too much" in, but not now :'(

hunter

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2018, 12:15:15 AM »
Of course music can be described mathematically in terms of notes, note values, bars, rhythm, tempo, etc. And so can sound, or sound waves. But that doesn't mean being a mathematician or physicist make you a songwriter/composer. Just because you know how a car works, it doesn't mean you can drive, let alone being a racing driver.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2018, 12:15:35 AM »
Because it's exactly what I wanted to say. That it sounds AS IF most of the songs  were written very much faster and without the same care or amount of time than on earlier albums. On the writing process. Guy obviously took immense effort in polishing them later. Speaking of polish...

And...
You are implying laziness, not me. I never spoke about laziness but a new approach to songwriting.  The same with your 5 minute matchbox thing. Never said or meant that. I would call THAT unfair in a discussion.

LE

You made me think about something and I'll try the last way to express my personal "negative" thoughts (prepare the champagne folks).

Mark works with session musicians, right? I'm a hobby musician myself, but I've been on studio sessions and shows as a musician before and I can sort of put myself in Mark's musicians' shoes (at least for 1%, don't kill me ok). And some songs are just too boring for me as a musician honestly, and I bet not every musician Mark works with will praise ALL the songs they've played in. I can imagine some of them playing in some songs just doing what they was paid for and asked to play. I can imagine all them being extremely tired of playing Sultans each night.

So this is another way to put it. This is what this whole "do you have something else" line in the studio means. Of course I can play the changes, and maybe it's cool for people to hear, and maybe the songs has a killer production, which saves it ultimately, but it lacks something else.

You can say I want too much, and it's true. But somehow in the recent years Mark was able to fill this "too much" in, but not now :'(

Still an opinion rather than absolute truth - and that’s what you seem to be missing.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

hunter

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2018, 12:21:59 AM »

And...

LE

It's as simple as this: This album doesn't appeal to you. You don't like it. I could not stand Kill To Get Crimson when it came out (today I sort of like it, but not that much), so that album wasn't for me. Sad, because it was Mark, and I had high expectations. The new album doesn't work for you. That doesn't mean it's a bad album or that Mark has made an album of lower quality. He has made artistic choices that you don't care for, and that's all there is to it.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2018, 12:26:13 AM »

And...

LE

Still an opinion rather than absolute truth - and that’s what you seem to be missing.

Strange thing to say, because nobody on this forum or even people who's working with Mark has an absolute truth. If you ask Guy every song is pure gold and every album is the best album ever, so you can say it's just an opinion, too. And don't think that Mark is 100% proud of all the new album and loves each song, you know that artists can often dislike their own work (but put it for sale nevertheless). Just my 5 cents.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2018, 12:38:04 AM »
It's as simple as this: This album doesn't appeal to you. You don't like it. I could not stand Kill To Get Crimson when it came out (today I sort of like it, but not that much), so that album wasn't for me. Sad, because it was Mark, and I had high expectations. The new album doesn't work for you. That doesn't mean it's a bad album or that Mark has made an album of lower quality. He has made artistic choices that you don't care for, and that's all there is to it.

It's a very thin line unfortunately... I can't say I like Kill To Get Crimson much, and by the way this album was extremely experimental — half of it is played with a pick and half of it is filled with waltzes. It was veeeeeery different. And Down The Road Wherever is very different, because it leans more on the pop side of things. But playing with a pick or an abundance of waltzes is one thing and going pop is whole other thing. It's not just the question of taste, it's like going into whole other genre. All you want to say is — whoa, whoa, slow down, bro! And that's why so many people are pissed off and so many people praise the album at the same time.

But of course there's songs for everyone, there's even some jazz, so in the end even people like me will love some of the songs.

And so far on the more easy listening side we have an opening track, two singles and a couple of songs from the main album.

This is too much pop for me and that's why I'm pissed off. I'll end with this, so thanks everyone for an interesting discussion.

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2018, 04:26:25 AM »
“Simplicity is complex. It's never simple to keep things simple. Simple solutions require the most advanced thinking.” Richie Norton

Pavel, you are a great musician, technician, I follow you on YT, your renditions of Mark's songs and your finger picking are impressives, bravo.
Did you try or do you write songs ? As a guitar player myself, I know that writing poems, songs, music and mélodies is not given to everyone. 
this album has destabilized you by its technical simplicity and I understand, but honestly, there are beautiful melodies, new sounds, funny lyrics, attempts here and there that only Mark can afford, remember, the man has nothing to prove to the world.
today, the man is tiered, don't expect from him to write pieces like TR, R&J or BiA, just relax and appreciate the moment, sooner or later, Mark will say good bye and we won't have anything anymore to discuss here, so lets enjoy the moment  :)
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2018, 09:13:34 AM »
“Simplicity is complex. It's never simple to keep things simple. Simple solutions require the most advanced thinking.” Richie Norton

Pavel, you are a great musician, technician, I follow you on YT, your renditions of Mark's songs and your finger picking are impressives, bravo.
Did you try or do you write songs ? As a guitar player myself, I know that writing poems, songs, music and mélodies is not given to everyone. 
this album has destabilized you by its technical simplicity and I understand, but honestly, there are beautiful melodies, new sounds, funny lyrics, attempts here and there that only Mark can afford, remember, the man has nothing to prove to the world.
today, the man is tiered, don't expect from him to write pieces like TR, R&J or BiA, just relax and appreciate the moment, sooner or later, Mark will say good bye and we won't have anything anymore to discuss here, so lets enjoy the moment  :)

Exactly. And since you brought that up, Telegraph Road is a pretty simple song in terms of chords and melodic structure, so there you go.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2018, 09:35:46 AM »
But it's really funny. No negativity intended. Here goes the album "Down The Road Whatever", it's a masterpiece!

You know, Bob Dylan has an album called "Masterpieces": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masterpieces_(Bob_Dylan_album)

Don't you think it's a little bit too much of a word? I don't even talk about the album itself, just one single word.

Also, I like to be the most hated AMIT member of all times  :thumbsdown
From now on I will continue to troll you all just for the fun of it.
You are not, by far.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 45 queries.