Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: waters/Gilmour reunion again ?  (Read 1415 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
waters/Gilmour reunion again ?
« on: April 06, 2024, 04:05:53 PM »
few days ago I saw a screen capture of a video conversation between Waters and Gilmour

can't remember if it was on FB, TW or Intsa

don't know if it was a fake or not but I can't find it anymore

does anyone saw it and can find the link again please ?

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: waters/Gilmour reunion again ?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 06:21:10 PM »
I would be extremely surprised that these two ever talk again to each other, sadly.

The feud started in 1985 when Waters left Floyd and Gilmour decided to continue without him. It was harsh, but nothing that drastic that things could not get better with time. Starting 2000, they started to talk again, out of common interest (The Wall live release). In 2005, they played together in live 8. 2011 was maybe the warmest moment, when Gilmour played Comfortably Numb at Waters' wall show in Dublin.
Very nice words by Waters were spoken that night.

Since then, nothing much, then they started to fight again about Animals release, Pink Floyd web site... Still petty, still not that drastic.

But that changed last year, when Waters advocated controversial views on Ukraine. Polly Samson (Gilmour's wife) went bust and publically insulted Waters in a tweet, calling him antisemite, misogynistic, lip-synching performer, Poutin apologist... And Gilmour backed his wife. These words were completely out of proportion. I can understand that one would not agree with Waters's controversial views (I myself do not agree with most of his stuff), but calling him an antisemite makes no sense, just like calling him a fascist because he wears a fascist leader costume when performing Run Like Hell (which he has done since 1980!). Then Waters insulted Polly in return ("Imagine waking up next to THIS").

It has gone way too far to imagine any kind of reconciliation now. Or...are you sure, JF?

« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 06:24:13 PM by herlock »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 06:59:52 PM »
I would be extremely surprised that these two ever talk again to each other, sadly.

The feud started in 1985 when Waters left Floyd and Gilmour decided to continue without him. It was harsh, but nothing that drastic that things could not get better with time. Starting 2000, they started to talk again, out of common interest (The Wall live release). In 2005, they played together in live 8. 2011 was maybe the warmest moment, when Gilmour played Comfortably Numb at Waters' wall show in Dublin.
Very nice words by Waters were spoken that night.

Since then, nothing much, then they started to fight again about Animals release, Pink Floyd web site... Still petty, still not that drastic.

But that changed last year, when Waters advocated controversial views on Ukraine. Polly Samson (Gilmour's wife) went bust and publically insulted Waters in a tweet, calling him antisemite, misogynistic, lip-synching performer, Poutin apologist... And Gilmour backed his wife. These words were completely out of proportion. I can understand that one would not agree with Waters's controversial views (I myself do not agree with most of his stuff), but calling him an antisemite makes no sense, just like calling him a fascist because he wears a fascist leader costume when performing Run Like Hell (which he has done since 1980!). Then Waters insulted Polly in return ("Imagine waking up next to THIS").

It has gone way too far to imagine any kind of reconciliation now. Or...are you sure, JF?

Yes I think the same. that's what I wrote :

https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/pink-floyd-vu-a-travers-lopposition-entre-gilmour-et-waters/

but, I saw this pic few days ago. it was two screens like Facetime or wahtsapp or Messenger, with David and Roger talking together... and the caption said someting like "reunion possible again ?" or someting like this

I can't remember wher I saw it. I think it was on FB, but not sure. and I cant' find it anymore. Maybe it was a fake  :think

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024, 10:53:08 PM »
Obviously a fake or a clickbait composite picture.
They will never be on speaking terms again, I think.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024, 03:05:25 PM »
NEVER EVER. there was too much "anti-semite" " useless wannabe-writer wife of rockstar" insults going back and forth, in public. this will NEVER happen.
and still they need to somehow still meet and agree on things, because of the thing that is Pink Floyd ltd.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2024, 03:11:16 PM »
NEVER EVER. there was too much "anti-semite" " useless wannabe-writer wife of rockstar" insults going back and forth, in public. this will NEVER happen.
and still they need to somehow still meet and agree on things, because of the thing that is Pink Floyd ltd.
Agreed.
I am puzzled that people are always so prompt to bash Water's excessive statements, and don't say a thing about Gilmour's wife, whom in one single tweet was way more excessive than all the statements from Waters from the last 60 years combined.
Say whatever about Waters, yes he has been a dick, but he evolves. He admitted his wrongdoings, tried to make peace, said very nice things about Gilmour at times. Even at the peak of the feud in the 80s and 90s, he was ackwnoledging Gilmour's exceptionnal guitar skills and great contributions to the Floyd albums. He is a very frank and intellectally honest person... I love Gilmour too, but it seems to me that he never wanted to move on. His wife went beyond reason, and he backed her.... Very sad.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2024, 03:17:43 PM »
Agreed.
I am puzzled that people are always so prompt to bash Water's excessive statements, and don't say a thing about Gilmour's wife, whom in one single tweet was way more excessive than all the statements from Waters from the last 60 years combined.
Say whatever about Waters, yes he has been a dick, but he evolves. He admitted his wrongdoings, tried to make peace, said very nice things about Gilmour at times. Even at the peak of the feud in the 80s and 90s, he was ackwnoledging Gilmour's exceptionnal guitar skills and great contributions to the Floyd albums. He is a very frank and intellectally honest person... I love Gilmour too, but it seems to me that he never wanted to move on. His wife went beyond reason, and he backed her.... Very sad.
that is not what i meant. at least i would certainly not say Waters' statements of the past 60 yrs were less harmful then this one bold statement by Polly.
there have been sufficient proven cases of Roger actually saying/doing racist things. nothing wrong with blaming the israeli state/goverment and most particularly the donkey called Netanyahu, i do that a lot, as they ARE guilty of numerous crimes against humanity over the past 60 yrs, but all that should NOT include the average israeli person, of jewish faith or not, coz THAT would amount to anti-semitism. and that IS exactly what Roger has done over the years (besides his rightful assault on the israeli/zionist government)
he thrives on troubles and, unrelated, is now married to his 5th (!) wife. that should at least give you an inkling of what kind of a man he is.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2024, 03:24:50 PM »
Agreed.
that is not what i meant. at least i would certainly not say Waters' statements of the past 60 yrs were less harmful then this one bold statement by Polly.
there have been sufficient proven cases of Roger actually saying/doing racist things. nothing wrong with blaming the israeli state/goverment and most particularly the donkey called Netanyahu, i do that a lot, as they ARE guilty of numerous crimes against humanity over the past 60 yrs, but all that should NOT include the average israeli person, of jewish faith or not, coz THAT would amount to anti-semitism. and that IS exactly what Roger has done over the years (besides his rightful assault on the israeli/zionist government)
he thrives on troubles and, unrelated, is now married to his 5th (!) wife. that should at least give you an inkling of what kind of a man he is.
I beg to differ, Pottel.
Roger is *not* an antisemite. Show me one antisemite statement from him, and I will admit I am wrong...
He definitely has his faults, but calling him antisemite is just not fair.
I attended 4 of his "This is not a drill" show in 2022/2023, he talked at length about this, and I understand his resentment. Roger does not judge people based on race/religion/nationality. I strongly disagree with most of his views, but still, there is nothing antisemite about what he says.
When I think Germany tried to ban him... because he is wearing a fascist uniform during "Run Like Hell !". Which has been part of the show since... 1980 ! Give him a break, this world has gone mad.
As for his 5th wife, well, I personnally don't judge personal life either. May I remind you that MK is married to his third wife, and had a couple of girlfriends before the first one. So.... what ?

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2024, 03:28:55 PM »
the thing with the suit in Germany was a joke, and the germans should be ashamed of having been "used" to do that. but that is not what i was talking about.
i will go and search now, as i clearly remember seeing them.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2024, 03:33:40 PM »
clearly this documentary is from a channel called "campaign against antisemitism" but i would like to point to the interviews of people involved, like bob ezrin and others.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2024, 03:34:38 PM »
also, saying "imagine waking up to that every morning"
not really a nice statement either, that is basically body shaming.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2024, 03:35:48 PM »
clearly this documentary is from a channel called "campaign against antisemitism" but i would like to point to the interviews of people involved, like bob ezrin and others.

Rather than other people talking, I would like to hear Roger talk, with exact quote.
Once we are down to exact quotes in context, I doubt than any antisemitsm will still hold...

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2024, 03:37:39 PM »
also, saying "imagine waking up to that every morning"
not really a nice statement either, that is basically body shaming.
It is not nice, but 1) I don't think it is body shaming (Polly is rather good-looking), 2) Keep in mind that Polly insulted him publically beyond any measure first. That does not help a free-speaking mind to be nice, and 3) Nothing to do with antisemtism !

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2024, 05:19:22 PM »
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-commentary/roger-waters-antisemitism-allegations-palestine-support-1234834848/

These new allegations from Ezrin and Stachel feel frustratingly in line with Waters’ habitual tendency to use language that nods to offensive tropes, stereotypes, and conspiracy theories about Jews. Take, for instance, a 2013 interview with CounterPunch, where he said, “The Jewish lobby is extraordinarily powerful here and particularly in the industry that I work in, the music industry and in rock ’n’ roll as they say.” Or in 2022 when he used the word “cabal” when discussing early European Jewish settlers arriving in the Israel-Palestine region.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2024, 08:25:35 AM »
Roger and David will not reunite again anymore that Mark reuniting Dire Straits, people just need to accept that and move on!!!
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 35 queries.