Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: David Knopfler crowd funding next album  (Read 32444 times)

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
Re: David Knopfler crowd funding next album
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2015, 05:12:48 PM »
Hi all,

Coincidentally, I've just come across this video on YT, which I had never seen nor even heard of. Nice line-up, incl. Terry Williams on the drums, dull playback though.

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2015, 01:50:30 AM »
Just listened to a few samples. I wonder, what do you say to that?

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/davidknopfler4

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2015, 10:34:31 PM »
Just listened to a few samples. I wonder, what do you say to that?

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/davidknopfler4

Thanks Throttle for the link!! I listened to a couple of songs and I won't buy it!! I have not found something that made me say Wow!! It's not bad but I don't really like :wave, that's all!! Hope he will sell as many as possible!! :wave
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2015, 09:43:01 AM »
The songs are all pretty much similar to each other - there is nothing that stands out above the rest.  Individually, the songs may be OK , but listening to a whole album of them together would be really boring.  David's voice is off-key a lot of the time too - in fact I don't like his voice much at all.   One good thing I noticed is the piano - very nice!

Thank you Throttle!   :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 09:45:52 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2015, 12:19:33 PM »
The songs are all pretty much similar to each other - there is nothing that stands out above the rest.  Individually, the songs may be OK , but listening to a whole album of them together would be really boring.  David's voice is off-key a lot of the time too - in fact I don't like his voice much at all.   One good thing I noticed is the piano - very nice!

I agree that the songs sound mostly quite similar, although it is hard to tell with just samples.  They have enough pace to keep you listening and stop you falling asleep - unlike Tracker!!! 

I think David's voice is quite nice too.  It has that inherent roughness, yet he still sings with plenty expression instead of the dull and lifeless vocal his brother has adopted.

I wish Mark would listen to this and adopt some of David's ideas into how to make an album (not the crowd funding part, obviously ;)) because his recent efforts have been so dull.  This recent effort from David with some of Mark's touches could be very nice indeed.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2015, 03:04:07 PM »

I agree that the songs sound mostly quite similar, although it is hard to tell with just samples.  They have enough pace to keep you listening and stop you falling asleep - unlike Tracker!!! 

Really?    I was almost comatose before I was half-way through!    Would you have been so enthusiastic about it if Mark had made this album? 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2015, 03:16:39 PM »

Really?    I was almost comatose before I was half-way through!    Would you have been so enthusiastic about it if Mark had made this album?

I try to be unbiased and give a fair opinion about everything.  Of course, I like Tracker when I first heard it too!  That's partly why I made my final comment saying that if Mark had made this album with his touches then it could be very nice.  I'd certainly love to hear Mark's albums have as much pace in them again and Mark start putting as much effort into his vocal.  A vocal like David gave certainly gives the song a lot of energy but Mark just sends me to sleep these days and sounds totally uninterested in singing.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2015, 04:00:56 PM »

I try to be unbiased and give a fair opinion about everything.  Of course, I like Tracker when I first heard it too!  That's partly why I made my final comment saying that if Mark had made this album with his touches then it could be very nice.  I'd certainly love to hear Mark's albums have as much pace in them again and Mark start putting as much effort into his vocal.  A vocal like David gave certainly gives the song a lot of energy but Mark just sends me to sleep these days and sounds totally uninterested in singing.

Dear dmg, I like you a lot and I began to think we were beginning to agree on some things but, now, without a doubt our taste in music is obviously poles apart!   There is no hope for you now - you will just have to migrate to the DK fan-club forthwith!   I won't be joining you there btw!   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2015, 05:10:12 PM »

Dear dmg, I like you a lot and I began to think we were beginning to agree on some things but, now, without a doubt our taste in music is obviously poles apart!   There is no hope for you now - you will just have to migrate to the DK fan-club forthwith!   I won't be joining you there btw!   ;D
[/quote]

DK has a fan club?  I'll bet they convene in a phone box, right?

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2015, 09:55:02 PM »

DK has a fan club?  I'll bet they convene in a phone box, right?
[/quote]

Thanks a lot Val and dmg!! I had a good laugh reading your comments this evening!!! LOL, I like the idea of DKs fans in a phone box!!! :thumbsup :wave
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2016, 07:51:56 PM »
Old post, not a comment since last year, I'm bringing it back because I've just received Grace last week. And, as far as I am sypathetic to David and his struggle to keep on with his career, I think this CD is more of the same. In my opinion, he did a great jog in the trilogy The giver, Small mercies and Wishbones, from 1993 to 2001, and had some good stuff in Lifelines and Ship of dreams. But everything from this new effort sounds very alike, within the album and regarding to the other releases.

Also, I was not part on the crowdfunding, and actually the cd cost me less than if I had contributed on it.
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlinegogoletgo

• Guitar George
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2016, 09:51:42 AM »
It is very good that you offer.
sbobet mobile

OfflineWaterofLove

• Local Hero
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2016, 06:43:05 PM »
I am a bit surprised that DK has to humiliate himself by these "creative" ways of earning money. I mean skype? Songwriting tutorials? And offering people to put their names on his CD in exchange for money?
I always thought everyone in DS got economical independence? DK played for 3 years so he must have had some money.

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2016, 08:31:11 PM »
I came across an interview with DK from Guitar Exchange, it mentions some of his guitars. A passage about MK too: “I never saw it as a horse race, I didn't think I was as good as I actually was, I did have a bit of trouble hanging onto my brother's coat tails ­ who had a more than rare talent ­- but I was good ­- and I’m still learning.”   

http://guitarsexchange.com/en/unplugged/129/david-knopfler/?utm_content=bufferac178&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2016, 09:44:41 PM »
I came across an interview with DK from Guitar Exchange, it mentions some of his guitars. A passage about MK too: “I never saw it as a horse race, I didn't think I was as good as I actually was, I did have a bit of trouble hanging onto my brother's coat tails ­ who had a more than rare talent ­- but I was good ­- and I’m still learning.”   

http://guitarspamchange.com/en/unplugged/129/david-knopfler/?utm_content=bufferac178&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Yes I had a look on this interesting interview. DK is still talking about his older brother in the magazines!!

Envoyé de mon Ultym 5.2 en utilisant Tapatalk

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 39 queries.