Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Bass On Privateering  (Read 8567 times)

Offlinejerrymb

• Guitar George
The Bass On Privateering
« on: September 30, 2012, 04:36:45 AM »
What's going on with the bass on Privateering? On some songs the bass is way too loud and muddy.

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
Re: The Bass On Privateering
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:56:06 AM »
I noticed the same thing, it almost there... and some there...maybe because most of the songs are played with "the big old lady" and it sound like poor sound. But,  I must admit that the playing on "Miss you blues, Kingdom of gold and  Occupation blues" is awsome ! respect Glenn !!!
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 12:08:43 PM »
Agree with the bass being loud but I guess thats down to the technique that Glenn is playing the bass. If you notice on any of the live 'Privateering' clips on YT he seems to be hitting the strings as opposed to normally touching them.
I think that as it is an 'Oldie-worldie' pirate themed song, you can imagine that after plenty of rum etc the bass/string player wouldn't be exactly tame with the beast!!!
I close my eyes and imagine this tune being played on a pirate ship - you try the same and it does work!!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinea visitor

• Local Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 05:56:27 PM »
As great as Glenn is, but very often I find his style is too quirky, or busy, for my taste.

Edit:

Wow, that was a wonderfully phrased sentence! Haha. I'll try again:

As great as Glenn is, I very often find his style is too quirky, or busy, for my taste.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 07:16:03 PM by Pasta Strainer »

Offline3Pints

• Guitar George
  • 3Pints
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 05:11:10 PM »
As great as Glenn is, but very often I find his style is too quirky, or busy, for my taste.

Edit:

Wow, that was a wonderfully phrased sentence! Haha. I'll try again:

As great as Glenn is, I very often find his style is too quirky, or busy, for my taste.

I concur.... with both statements!   :D
"If I'd a bucket of gold, silver would do...."

Offline3Pints

• Guitar George
  • 3Pints
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 05:12:15 PM »
What's going on with the bass on Privateering? On some songs the bass is way too loud and muddy.

Can you be specific?  Which songs?

Offline3Pints

• Guitar George
  • 3Pints
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 05:19:28 PM »
I noticed the same thing, it almost there... and some there...maybe because most of the songs are played with "the big old lady" and it sound like poor sound. But,  I must admit that the playing on "Miss you blues, Kingdom of gold and  Occupation blues" is awsome ! respect Glenn !!! 

Nobody's mentioned yet on which songs the bass is too loud and muddy but I think it's possible that on some of the blues numbers they were going for a very authentic (i.e. 50s-era?) style and sound.   "Gator Blood" is probably the most obvious example, where they used a couple of "live" room mics and let the sound bleed into them rather than isolating everything.

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 09:21:37 PM »
If you read Guy's studio diary page 3, there are photos of a lot of basses, but you get the impression from the text that the P bass was used for most of the electric bass, and a Vox Phantom on one track when they needed something "nosier" (?) does he mean nosier as in  with more  "nose" or Noisier (louder) ?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:26:15 PM by 3Strats »
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

Love Expresso

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 09:27:27 PM »
A little off topic maybe, but it's about a bass:

Do we know already why Guy played bass on Redbud Tree? I mean with a world class bass player like Glen Worf, it is somewhat surprising, isn't it? Do you think it was just to give him some work becaue he used to hang around all day at BG and had nothing to do because there were no synths on Privateering and Jim did all the keys? Or, another version, maybe that song was recorded in the early stages of production, just Mark and Guy alone, and was later decided to be so good that nothing should be changed? So we maybe have some sort of "demo" song here on the album?

LE

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 10:01:03 PM »
I think that the reason that Guy plays bass on Redbud Tree is just because the song its a demo...

I mean, MK and Guy record many of the songs like a demo playing bass and drums (Guy plays both in that recordings) and then they start developing the songs around that. When the band comes to the studio, they listen to that demos and then they re-record the drums and bass.

Looks like MK decided that the bass on that song was ok, or Glenn listened to it and said "Its ok, doesnt worth to record it again"

My bet is that this particular song was developed just with drums, the pedal steel guitar and the backing vocals, as all guitars are played by MK and Guy plays bass, keyboards and synths. So its mainly the demo.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 10:05:20 PM »
I think MK & Guy probably worked Red Bud Tree up in the early stages before Glenn got there, and Mark must have been happy with Guy's playing so it wasn't thought necessary to re-do the bass. I wouldn't describe it as a "demo" as Guy was a bass player before he took up keyboards & MK wouldn't release anything that wasn't a "finished product" 
You get the impression that there is a distinct lack of "ego" amongst the band members so I don't think Glenn would spit his dummy out because he wasn't asked to play on one track. 
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 10:08:57 PM »
When I say demo, I name that the recordings they did at the arliest stages as the demos, the "demonstration" recordings they show to the band before everyone add his parts to it.

We know that they do that quite often, and that sometimes Mk plays to everybody the song just him with the acoustic guitar, and from that they start. Two ways of work that works very well.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offline3Pints

• Guitar George
  • 3Pints
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 04:31:31 AM »
If you read Guy's studio diary page 3, there are photos of a lot of basses, but you get the impression from the text that the P bass was used for most of the electric bass, and a Vox Phantom on one track when they needed something "nosier" (?) does he mean nosier as in  with more  "nose" or Noisier (louder) ?
Hi 3Strats,
Definitely "nosier" as in 'nose'.  The Vox Phantom has a kind of mid-range attack (and less sustain) to the notes.  Some might even describe it as sounding a bit like a "honk" - hence the descriptive, "nosier".  :)

OfflineMisterYES

• Local Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 06:09:31 PM »
Being a bass player myself, i actually like lower frequencies on album in general. (first bass notes/tones on YTC are beautify, almost on sub levels) .
I particularly liked upright bass sound on songs like "Hot Or What" and "I Used To Could" because it sounds powerful, and upright bass usually doesn't (that's why I'm not much of a fan of it either)

But, regarding topic, i heard (on first early iTunes snippets) some parts of "Go, love" where "something clipping" .. i wrote about that at the time, and some said that it's because of poor snippets quality. Now with CD qual. i still hearing almost "overdrive" on Mark's vocal when he pronounce "retuuuurniiing" and on some other parts of the song also...so it is not that bass guitar or lower frequencies are too loud, but something other. And it's not that i don't like that...somehow it make whole thing more human :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:12:24 PM by MisterYES »

Onlinejf9081

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
The audio tracks where I feel the bass frequencies stronger are: Go love / Radio City Serenade / ......submariner. What do you think?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 40 queries.