Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New album after the last from November 2018 ?  (Read 21894 times)

hunter

Re: New album after the last from November 2018 ?
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2021, 07:41:26 PM »
Personally, I would only see Mark now in a NHB type of setting, where he'd play blues, country and light rock stuff that doesn't require virtuosity or a lot of finesse. I'm not interested in a half-assed version of the kind of shows he has done up until now, especially not in a big arena, nor am I interested in an evening with acoustic "campfire" songs.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2021, 07:47:04 PM »
Happy for you that you feel this way, guys. Without the guitar playing, 50% - or maybe more - of what I think constitutes Mark Knopfler the artist is missing. The guitar is where he has channeled his most passionate emotions and which has more than made up for what he is lacking in terms of charisma and singing ability. It's not that I don't enjoy Mark's singing and voice, I do because of its uniqueness, but to me it's not enough.

Not only that, but his voice is not in the best shape either, after its baritone glory 10 years ago, now 80 shows are just too much for his voice and he clearly can't handle it anymore, even with long pauses. So to me the voice and guitar are equally as important, the voice maybe even more. Give me 10 shows instead of 80, but with good singing and guitar. Quality over quantity, love over gold, you know!

:clap :clap  These two posts for me.  I got into his music for the guitar and enjoyed his unique vocal.  Back during the 2019 tour it was evident he couldn't even perform a passable vocal, his voice being very weak sounding.  R&J is dreadful from this tour. Indeed the last tour it was anywhere near decent was 2006.

Set Full of Holes.  LOL moment. Cheered me up today.

Would you still go and see him if he played in your area or wouldn't bother then?
It's obvious that he lacks virtuosity in his guitar playing as he used to but he still has that MK touch that will remain unique even if it's just simple phrasing here and there. People will want to see him as long as he cares to show up and perform. I know I will, and I'm pretty certain it will be hard to get that ticket.

:thumbsup
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2021, 10:42:54 PM »
Personally, I would only see Mark now in a NHB type of setting, where he'd play blues, country and light rock stuff that doesn't require virtuosity or a lot of finesse. I'm not interested in a half-assed version of the kind of shows he has done up until now, especially not in a big arena, nor am I interested in an evening with acoustic "campfire" songs.
Yes, these NHB shows were quite laid back and special but they had some tasty guitar licks in there for sure! That being said I think MK is still able to produce tasty licks, just more sporadic and less vigorously. I didn't feel his recent shows were half-arsed at all. He had a bigger line-up than in the hey day of DS! He may have hidden behind the wall of sound produced by others but they were still his songs, his melodies, his ideas. I used to be like dmg and originally got hooked by his guitar playing mainly, but now MK for me is a brilliant melody maker / composer / songwriter.
Anyways, the point is he would sell out an evening of campfire songs as well. No problem.   
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2021, 11:50:43 PM »
I agree with every word koobaa:)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 12:15:51 AM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2021, 08:19:42 AM »
Yes, these NHB shows were quite laid back and special but they had some tasty guitar licks in there for sure! That being said I think MK is still able to produce tasty licks, just more sporadic and less vigorously. I didn't feel his recent shows were half-arsed at all. He had a bigger line-up than in the hey day of DS! He may have hidden behind the wall of sound produced by others but they were still his songs, his melodies, his ideas. I used to be like dmg and originally got hooked by his guitar playing mainly, but now MK for me is a brilliant melody maker / composer / songwriter.
Anyways, the point is he would sell out an evening of campfire songs as well. No problem.

:thumbsup
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2021, 08:57:32 AM »
Agree Koobaa. I will take campfire songs over endless guitar solos any day. Like others have said, it is the combination of the guitar, the voice and the lyrics  :-)

If he decides to go all rockabilly/blues, I will probably use earplugs but still want to see him.. Songs like "Cornef beef city" and "Gator blood" might be more fun and easy for him to play, but it is really not what I prefer. I love "Silvertown", "Once upon a time", and that kind of songs.

hunter

« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2021, 09:06:04 AM »
I love "Silvertown", "Once upon a time", and that kind of songs.

I prefer those kind of songs as well, but the fact is that they require a certain proficiency on the guitar and energy to make them sound well/right. On the last tour he was just getting by. I don't think he will have improved by the time of the next tour.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2021, 10:01:49 AM »

I prefer those kind of songs as well, but the fact is that they require a certain proficiency on the guitar and energy to make them sound well/right. On the last tour he was just getting by. I don't think he will have improved by the time of the next tour.

Next tour??
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

hunter

« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2021, 10:03:12 AM »

Next tour??

I should have written "by a potential next tour".

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2021, 10:06:08 AM »

Next tour??

;) :thumbsup

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2021, 10:30:15 AM »

Next tour??

There is not going to be any potential next tour.

If we are lucky, we would have some concerts, but tour, we are not going to have any other tour, at least as the ones we are used to with European and North American dates, of around 80 concerts, that's gone.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #101 on: October 27, 2021, 10:31:41 AM »

Next tour??

There is not going to be any potential next tour.

If we are lucky, we would have some concerts, but tour, we are not going to have any other tour, at least as the ones we are used to with European and North American dates, of around 80 concerts, that's gone.

As we keep pointing out!!!!

hunter

« Reply #102 on: October 27, 2021, 10:41:57 AM »
Tour, series of shows, whatever. A tour can be small.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2021, 10:48:17 AM »

Or sadly nothing at all...Time will tell...

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2021, 01:06:05 PM »

Or sadly nothing at all...Time will tell...

Yes.

Sadly, after anything is announced, we should forget the term "Tour" as we knew it, something across Europe or North America, with around 80 concerts.

If in the future, if something is announced and it is a short tour, then we have a new meaning for the term tour to use, luckily!

I have hopes that after the next band sessions, having all of the musicians together, something wakes up in MK's spirit and decide that it worths to do something live, something like the short UK tour that Genesis planned, or at least a series of concerts at the RAH, althought I don't see that as economically viable.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 47 queries.