Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Concert # 16:2013.05.17, SECC, Glasgow, Scotland # SPOILER AHEAD #  (Read 46624 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Concert # 16:2013.05.17, SECC, Glasgow, Scotland # SPOILER AHEAD #
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2013, 10:58:33 PM »
It's not good for a touring band to stay that long at the same town/venue. You can see that at the RAH stint. Aren't the last shows always weaker than the first ones? Can't remember, only attended one RAH show so far... (that will change in a few days he he)

LE

I think so.  That's why I go to the first couple.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #121 on: May 18, 2013, 11:03:59 PM »
Sydney show is great.  :) The bit where the crowd boo the politician is funny and Mark's anti drug video is hilarious.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #122 on: May 18, 2013, 11:46:57 PM »
It's not good for a touring band to stay that long at the same town/venue. You can see that at the RAH stint. Aren't the last shows always weaker than the first ones? Can't remember, only attended one RAH show so far... (that will change in a few days he he)

LE

I think so.  That's why I go to the first couple.

Best 2005 one was Thursday.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2013, 11:48:46 PM »
Yeah, the Sydney show is tired sounding.  I suppose it comes from playing all those nights in the same venue and the band settling into a lazy routine.

I'm surprised they wanted this show to be filmed - they were bound to realise the boredom of playing about 20 nights in the same place!

You obviously don't know the story.

Love Expresso

« Reply #124 on: May 18, 2013, 11:50:09 PM »
Are you willing to tell us? I don't know the "story" either, apart from that those shows weren't planned and grew and grew...

LE

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2013, 11:59:43 PM »
Are you willing to tell us? I don't know the "story" either, apart from that those shows weren't planned and grew and grew...

LE

That 's it, the demand for tickets was absolutely huge so they added show after show but there was still high demand for it.

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2013, 10:43:12 AM »
Always hated this whole concert. In fact I thought it is the downpoint in the whole Dire Strait era.
I agree !
I'm not sure I've ever watched or listened to the whole concert. Totally disgusted by TOL with no intro.
You can't  decide to f*** up the best part of the best song of the tour, especially when it's filmed ! :thumbsdown

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2013, 10:55:44 AM »
Always hated this whole concert. In fact I thought it is the downpoint in the whole Dire Strait era.
I agree !
I'm not sure I've ever watched or listened to the whole concert. Totally disgusted by TOL with no intro.
You can't  decide to f*** up the best part of the best song of the tour, especially when it's filmed ! :thumbsdown

That's not what disgusted me most...
TOL can be good short or long. Of course I prefer it with the intro, but I can also understand that such a telecast has some time constraints. I think TOL was shortened not only for this show, but for the whole OZ leg of the tour, probably to be able to play TR as well. Well ok, TR was not played in the filmed show, but again that's probably because of time constraints.

What I liked far less was the strange guitar tone and the "over the top" guitar licks in the end solo. If you listen to Wembley'85, the end solo is a bit more elaborated than in Alchemy, it is a bit more of a slower build-up, whether you prefer the more straightforward approach of Alchemy or the more romantic one of Wembley is matter of taste, both are excellent; in both cases the finale of song is bombastic; but in Sydney 86 there seem to be a will to add systematically some "side-tracking" or "digressions", not sure how to name it, to each lick of the end solo. The end result sounds a bit like Sultans nowadays vs. Sultans in Alchemy: you sometimes wonder "where is this exactly leading to ?".

I could also comment in a similar way for BIA.

To me the playing in '86 is a huge downgrade from the playing in '85. '85 was probably the pinacle of DS, as dmg would say :) '85 is a bit better than '83, but '83 is better than '86 IHMO.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:02:39 AM by herlock »

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2013, 11:18:05 AM »

LE

I hope not :smack
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Love Expresso

« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2013, 11:25:30 AM »
No worries, it was pure guessing, out of the blue, not based on any solid information!  ;)

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2013, 11:44:30 AM »

That's not what disgusted me most...
TOL can be good short or long. Of course I prefer it with the intro, but I can also understand that such a telecast has some time constraints. I think TOL was shortened not only for this show, but for the whole OZ leg of the tour, probably to be able to play TR as well. Well ok, TR was not played in the filmed show, but again that's probably because of time constraints.

What I liked far less was the strange guitar tone and the "over the top" guitar licks in the end solo. If you listen to Wembley'85, the end solo is a bit more elaborated than in Alchemy, it is a bit more of a slower build-up, whether you prefer the more straightforward approach of Alchemy or the more romantic one of Wembley is matter of taste, both are excellent; in both cases the finale of song is bombastic; but in Sydney 86 there seem to be a will to add systematically some "side-tracking" or "digressions", not sure how to name it, to each lick of the end solo. The end result sounds a bit like Sultans nowadays vs. Sultans in Alchemy: you sometimes wonder "where is this exactly leading to ?".

I could also comment in a similar way for BIA.

To me the playing in '86 is a huge downgrade from the playing in '85. '85 was probably the pinacle of DS, as dmg would say :) '85 is a bit better than '83, but '83 is better than '86 IHMO.

dmg would wholeheartedly agree with this, yes! :thumbsup

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2013, 07:38:36 PM »
I am one among the ones that like this '86 show very much, especially their shortened TOL version and the extra feature licks from Jack on Expresso and Solid Rock or the incredible intro on Two Young Lovers. Many good things on that show.

If only the sound could be better recorded.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2013, 08:21:11 PM »
I am one among the ones that like this '86 show very much, especially their shortened TOL version and the extra feature licks from Jack on Expresso and Solid Rock or the incredible intro on Two Young Lovers. Many good things on that show.

+ 1000  :thumbsup

I was planning to post a reply in the same way, but you've been faster  :)

Indeed, even if it's not the best DS gig, I like it for its "curiosities" :

- Jack's solo on expresso love after the sax, that doesn't features on other gigs from 85-86
- 2 young lovers intro : fabulous ! groove, feeling...I love it
- solid rock : Jack is doing a little bit too much IMHO, but it rocks !
- extended Why worry : I find it works much better then the short version (like in Wembley). I also love the december 85 version (bootleg called "cocaine" with EC)
- Your latest trick : the only one version known from BIA tour, with Mark playing on the nylon CA gibson guitar, and John playin jazzy licks on bass (seated !)
- Sultans and going home played on the white strat : very unsual. I love the sound on theThe sultans outro. The end lick is very powerfull.
- BIA : I don't like very much the 85 versions, too much powerful, while the song had to end quiet IMHO. And don't forget that this "new" ending in Sydney is the one used for the 20 yeras after....
- and of course THE version for SFA (even I like wembley very much)

and last but not least : we can se Mark driving his porsche !

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #133 on: May 20, 2013, 09:56:51 AM »

+ 1000  :thumbsup

I was planning to post a reply in the same way, but you've been faster  :)

Indeed, even if it's not the best DS gig, I like it for its "curiosities" :

- Jack's solo on expresso love after the sax, that doesn't features on other gigs from 85-86
- 2 young lovers intro : fabulous ! groove, feeling...I love it
- solid rock : Jack is doing a little bit too much IMHO, but it rocks !
- extended Why worry : I find it works much better then the short version (like in Wembley). I also love the december 85 version (bootleg called "cocaine" with EC)
- Your latest trick : the only one version known from BIA tour, with Mark playing on the nylon CA gibson guitar, and John playin jazzy licks on bass (seated !)
- Sultans and going home played on the white strat : very unsual. I love the sound on theThe sultans outro. The end lick is very powerfull.
- BIA : I don't like very much the 85 versions, too much powerful, while the song had to end quiet IMHO. And don't forget that this "new" ending in Sydney is the one used for the 20 yeras after....
- and of course THE version for SFA (even I like wembley very much)

and last but not least : we can se Mark driving his porsche !
All things you mentionned are very valid points. In fact I don't hate the show, it has its strong points, it is just that it is not my favourite. I disagree with you on WW (I think this extended version is a bit slow and boring, I prefer the shorter but more upbeat Wembley) and BIA (I know that the rocking ending has only been done in '85 and never since, but still, I think it is great and the way it should be !).
Apart from that as I already mentionned I think TOL has been done better in '85 and even in '83 (and it is not a matter of short or long). Sultans was better in Wembley and in Live Aid...
But yes, RATR, SFA, TWL, ID are the strong points of the show...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #134 on: May 20, 2013, 11:50:16 AM »
...and now back to 2013, Glasgow!  Review:

http://www.new-reviews.co.uk/?p=8430

N.B. Cleaning My Gun wasn't played.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 42 queries.