Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (1) Two pairs of hands  (Read 8831 times)

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
Re: (1) Two pairs of hands
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2024, 05:30:34 PM »
Oh yes, now we're talking!  The best one of the three, in my opinion. His voice on "now you know"..really really nice  ;D It is interesting that he intentionally uses the phrase wrong, in a way that you have to be a native speaker to understand? I didn't think about it until it was mentioned. It's four minutes, yet I was like "Oh, already finished!" Unlike Ahead of the game, where the backtrack/beat felt annoying after one minute. "Watch me gone" is growing on me, it is nice, while "ahead of the game" will be a clear skipper.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2024, 10:27:43 AM »
I have now warmed to this lovely tune but I'm sorry Ahead of the Game is still my fave of the three so far!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineshortfin

• Local Hero
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2024, 06:11:00 PM »
This song to me sounds a lot (too much) like Down The Road Wherever. What I don't like about this song, as in many of DTRW's is that "fake" drum sound. It sounds like a recorded looped base (and if I haven't read it wrong, it partially is). It's distracting, I even have a hard time hear the rest of the song; it sounds really un-Mark to me. What a shame because otherwise I love the J.J. Cale vibe and the guitar sound.
www.direstraitsbootlegs.it
I was there: *Dire Straits: Ferrara, 6.7.1983 *Mark Knopfler: Pesaro, 7.6.2008 / Firenze, 11.11.2011 / Piazzola sul Brenta, 12.7.2013 / Milano, 28.5.2015 / Cattolica 18.07.2019 / Verona 22.07.2019

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2024, 06:28:19 PM »
I respect your opinion of course, but pre looped drum sounds and drum machines are an absolute trademark of J.J. Cale. Just sayin'.

LE

I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2024, 04:48:44 AM »
A 'stock' Knopfler tune with some 'stock' licks and a groove straight out of Band-in-a-Box. Lyrically weak. If he's trying to convey the drama and excitement of playing in front of a big crowd, he seriously failed IMO. He might as well have tried to explain how to replace a bin liner.
When the thunder bursts in the velvet night
There's joy and wonder and delight

This line is perfect. And the way he delivers it is pure joy and wonder, and delight.

...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2024, 07:04:43 AM »
A 'stock' Knopfler tune with some 'stock' licks and a groove straight out of Band-in-a-Box. Lyrically weak. If he's trying to convey the drama and excitement of playing in front of a big crowd, he seriously failed IMO. He might as well have tried to explain how to replace a bin liner.

This line is perfect. And the way he delivers it is pure joy and wonder, and delight.

I fully respect your right to hold a wrong opinion.

;D

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2024, 09:14:31 AM »
Holy moly, where did the time go?
I told you, baby, now you know

Somehow these lines don't make sense to me regarding the theme of the song.
And "balls" are some sort of percussion instruments? Or is it meant as a picture with juggling?

I still don't find that these are strong lyrics.

LE

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2024, 09:18:16 AM »
It's a metaphor taken from juggling which means to handle many things at the same time. Multi-tasking, basically.

OfflineD44mu

• Guitar George
« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2024, 09:38:28 AM »

For me it is also a very touching line and then the sound of the guitar makes it perfect. It reminds me of his concert performances and the feeling when, for example, he plays his guitar for the first time that evening during the opener Why Aye men. That was for me pure joy, wonder and delight. :clap

OfflineD44mu

• Guitar George
« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2024, 09:46:27 AM »
Holy moly, where did the time go?
I told you, baby, now you know

Somehow these lines don't make sense to me regarding the theme of the song.
And "balls" are some sort of percussion instruments? Or is it meant as a picture with juggling?

I still don't find that these are strong lyrics.

LE

Regarding the holy moly line - For me it means that it's just the blink of an eye and the concert is over. Despite all the preparations, doubts and work beforehand.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #130 on: April 02, 2024, 10:02:29 AM »
Thanks to both of you. That helps.

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #131 on: April 02, 2024, 10:28:08 AM »
The part of the lyric that seems a bit strange to me is "I'm up here ON the band".   It would make more sense to me as either IN the band or, as later in the song, WITH the band.  :think
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 10:30:23 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #132 on: April 02, 2024, 11:31:28 AM »
The part of the lyric that seems a bit strange to me is "I'm up here ON the band".   It would make more sense to me as either IN the band or, as later in the song, WITH the band.  :think

Could it be a non-standard short form of "bandstand"? To be up on the bandstand is common usage; however, the stages that DS and MK have played can hardly be called bandstands LOL Except in the early days in pubs and small halls ...

OnlineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #133 on: April 02, 2024, 11:35:00 AM »

Could it be a non-standard short form of "bandstand"? To be up on the bandstand is common usage; however, the stages that DS and MK have played can hardly be called bandstands LOL Except in the early days in pubs and small halls ...

Top on the band (percussions) adding things...maybe just shaking sand on the pipe

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2024, 03:09:47 PM »
In The Late Show with Eve Blair (01 April), she explained what MK said about the song:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001xvfg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 38 queries.