Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Is this the best band he's ever had?  (Read 20180 times)

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Is this the best band he's ever had?
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2019, 02:09:53 PM »
Percussion adds a lot.

If you listen to just about any good record there will be good percussion high up in the mix but it is usually overlooked live.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

hunter

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2019, 02:43:11 PM »
Percussion adds a lot.

If you listen to just about any good record there will be good percussion high up in the mix but it is usually overlooked live.

Oh, totally. It's just that I'm not going to any shows this time, so I was curious how it worked live, and how well it integrated with Ian. It's not just a case of adding a tambourine or a shaker here and there, but the man has an extensive kit on stage. The more instruments you add to a band, the more restrained everyone has to play.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2019, 03:36:42 PM »
The whole band does a great job at playing together but not tripping over each other.

hunter

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2019, 03:42:14 PM »
It probably goes without saying for musicians at that level. Not quite the jam session at your local bar.

Offlineijnijn

• Guitar George
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2019, 08:01:20 PM »
I'm curioius how Pick Withers would have done playing Mark's solo material. Not sure he has the power to pull off Speedway for instance, but I think he would have been fabulous on some of the mellower stuff. What a shame that the relationship between Mark and him soured.
Hunter, I'm sure Pick would have dug all the songs easily. The workshop he had was tremendous, just listen to some old live DS stuff, brilliant. His hi-hat opening skills should be taught in music schools. Actually, I can't figure out any other drummer with such developed hi-hat work. Come on, just compare versions of Romeo & Juliet with Pick to these with Ianto. To be honest, there's nothing to compare.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2019, 05:30:25 PM »
I don't get the whole debate over drums, I am not worried who plays them, I am more interested in the other instruments, maybe I just don't have the ears for the drummers. I do think Chris White is the best brass/wind player Mark has ever had, he just gets Mark's music, shame he isn't in Mark's band anymore. I think Paul Franklin is amazing, his contribution to You and Your Friend is great, he even raises Walk of Life. I am not really sure what Mike and John bring anymore I'm afraid, maybe they have been in Mark's band to long!! Mark has constantly changed the musicians he has worked with over his career, some stayed a long time, some not so long, but none outshine the master, and neither should they.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2019, 09:13:40 PM »
His current band is nearly the best who tours actually I would say

Unbeatable

MK
RB
GW
DC
JC

I would maybe replace Ianto and put in Chad Cromwell because he played with more power and more straight forward.
But I am happy with Ianto. He is really good and also a funny chap. Maybe too jazzy sometimes. Chad was rockier.
And I would maybe put in Matt for Guy. Sorry Guy.  :-X . But that's not that imporatant.
The Brass men are OK. Chris White would round it up.
Folkies... I could live without them

But as a Band they are now TOP NOTCH.
Love will find a Way

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2019, 09:24:25 PM »
Chad Cromwell was among the best drummer Mark had
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2019, 12:16:06 AM »
I'm curioius how Pick Withers would have done playing Mark's solo material. Not sure he has the power to pull off Speedway for instance, but I think he would have been fabulous on some of the mellower stuff. What a shame that the relationship between Mark and him soured.
Hunter, I'm sure Pick would have dug all the songs easily. The workshop he had was tremendous, just listen to some old live DS stuff, brilliant. His hi-hat opening skills should be taught in music schools. Actually, I can't figure out any other drummer with such developed hi-hat work. Come on, just compare versions of Romeo & Juliet with Pick to these with Ianto. To be honest, there's nothing to compare.

I would also point anyone in doubt about picks skills to the drums on the studio version of TOL, if you get the chance to listen to them in isolation they are simply incredible, in fact by far my favourite bit of DS drumming. Those patterns were never supposed live.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2019, 10:24:24 AM »
A good drummer is more important that it seems... it does not only keep the beat, but does a lot of very important things for the song, like remarks here and there. A drummer makes a song slow or fast, boring or interesting.

Richard plays a lot of types of guitars and he's very good but in my opinion is the one that can be easily replaced by someone else like, let's say, Robbie McIntosh. I won't miss the bouzoki or the rest of little things with strings on it at all.

Glenn is really a great bass player but I think he sometimes plays too much. I remember that Tony Levin said in an interview that a good bass player would be someone you don't notice is playing at all, that plays very little but when plays does exactly what the song needs. Glenn plays too much and his playing is all over the song and over others instruments.

Jim is just fantastic. And Guy is very good playing soundscapes, probably there are many many other synths player that can do what he does and probably someone would do it even better, but it suits MK needs musically talking so, heads up.

Ian is a good drummer, that not only keeps the beat but also adds remarks wherever they are needed. he's not too noisy as Chad used to be, and not that fast, sometimes too fast as Terry used to be. Anyway, I would say that Danny Cummings was the best drummer MK had, but I rather have him on percussion so, let's add Ian as the best possible alternative.

The folkies are just fantastic, and the brass section... Tom is very good and Graeme did something very interesting... nobody is missing Nigel Hitchcock so I bet that's because of the great work Graeme Blevins is doing.

I agree that adding Paul Franklin on pedal steel would make it just perfect.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2019, 12:25:40 PM »
A good drummer is more important that it seems... it does not only keep the beat, but does a lot of very important things for the song, like remarks here and there. A drummer makes a song slow or fast, boring or interesting.

Richard plays a lot of types of guitars and he's very good but in my opinion is the one that can be easily replaced by someone else like, let's say, Robbie McIntosh. I won't miss the bouzoki or the rest of little things with strings on it at all.

Glenn is really a great bass player but I think he sometimes plays too much. I remember that Tony Levin said in an interview that a good bass player would be someone you don't notice is playing at all, that plays very little but when plays does exactly what the song needs. Glenn plays too much and his playing is all over the song and over others instruments.

Jim is just fantastic. And Guy is very good playing soundscapes, probably there are many many other synths player that can do what he does and probably someone would do it even better, but it suits MK needs musically talking so, heads up.

Ian is a good drummer, that not only keeps the beat but also adds remarks wherever they are needed. he's not too noisy as Chad used to be, and not that fast, sometimes too fast as Terry used to be. Anyway, I would say that Danny Cummings was the best drummer MK had, but I rather have him on percussion so, let's add Ian as the best possible alternative.

The folkies are just fantastic, and the brass section... Tom is very good and Graeme did something very interesting... nobody is missing Nigel Hitchcock so I bet that's because of the great work Graeme Blevins is doing.

I agree that adding Paul Franklin on pedal steel would make it just perfect.

Excellent stuff there, however I rate Richard highly and am so glad he's on board.  Totally agree with you about Glenn.  Still loved Terry on drums.  A great live player, although Omar Hakim did a fantastic job on the album. 
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2019, 03:15:03 PM »
Just have to say I like this tour's WAM! Nothing wrong with the 2010 versions, but to have that brass between chorus/verse compared to the flutes/bass "only" in 2010 is a major improvement sonically! :thumbsup

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2019, 10:41:17 PM »
Drums?

Let's be serious, the only alternative to Danny Cummings would be… Danny himself.

The secret lies in the difference between playing a song and how to play a song.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 10:46:52 PM by NicoMK »

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2019, 11:23:35 PM »
Drums?

Let's be serious, the only alternative to Danny Cummings would be… Danny himself.

The secret lies in the difference between playing a song and how to play a song.
Ha.

Love your passion for Danny on drums but it's not shared by anyone in the music industry.

Chad is a first choice session drummer to the stars.

Ianto is a first choice session drummer to the stars.

Danny, not so much.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2019, 11:53:55 PM »
Drums?

Ha.

Love your passion for Danny on drums but it's not shared by anyone in the music industry.

Chad is a first choice session drummer to the stars.

Ianto is a first choice session drummer to the stars.

Danny, not so much.

I absolutely agree with Danny's approach being the best, I told it to everybody ever since the transition to the "proper" drummer which is Ianto.

It's like George Martin's son gave an answer to the controversy around Ringo being a bad drummer. He says — Ringo plays the song. Exactly!

Ringo is also not a first choice session drummer to the stars, but it doesn't mean he's a star on his own. Love Danny, go Danny go...

Three examples from the top of my head, where Danny beats everybody is Speedway, What it Is and So Far Away.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 39 queries.