Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Pockets  (Read 6351 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Pockets
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 11:56:41 AM »
This is a bit off-topic, but I had a rather long and interesting phone conversation this morning with Nigel Burnham, who is the organiser (promoter) of the upcoming Ruth Moody gig at The Band Room in Farndale, North Yorkshire.   

He told me that in the 70's he was a music journalist for Sound Magazine in Leeds and that he interviewed Mark when he did the gig at Leeds Polytechnic in 1978.   He said that he had never heard such an amazing guitarist and asked Mark where he had sprung from and where he had been hiding all this time - or words to that effect!    :)   
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:00:21 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 12:09:21 PM »
This is a bit off-topic, but I had a rather long and interesting phone conversation this morning with Nigel Burnham, who is the organiser (promoter) of the upcoming Ruth Moody gig at The Band Room in Farndale, North Yorkshire.   

He told me that in the 70's he was a music journalist for Sound Magazine in Leeds and that he interviewed Mark when he did the gig at Leeds Polytechnic in 1978.   He said that he had never heard such an amazing guitarist and asked Mark where he had sprung from and where he had been hiding all this time - or words to that effect!    :)   

Nice one Val!  Did he say anything more?
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 12:25:10 PM »
He talked about other acts that had been to The Band Room, including Jesca Hoop, who he said was fantastic and he hoped that Ruth's voice wasn't too quiet for the venue, because I have a feeling it may become a bit noisy!   ;D   He talked about Mark's albums and asked which were my favourites,  but it was just a very nice friendly chat about music in general.

He said he looked forward to meeting us both and I asked how I would recognise him and he said he would be on the door to greet everyone!   He sounded really friendly and I'm looking forward to it very much.   I can just visualise a few sheep and sheepdogs joining us as well!   :lol
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 12:33:41 PM »
So true Val! Loving it and buying it, just based on that one song!

I have already sended you that song daaaays ago ::)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Love Expresso

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 06:41:13 PM »
Absolute boring and unmeaning song. Mark's usual Guitar addition knocks nobody's socks off I am sure, it is always the same and removable guitar stuff he always delivers when he is asked to. (imagine him sleeping fast and deep and someone shouting PLAY! I guess this is the stuff he would come up with... and there are probably a lot of people saying OH WONDERFUL!) Her voice is replacable with hundreds of these long-brown-haired guitar girls who sound all the same. And for heaven's sake, why is there a trumpet section in it??  :smack  I listened to it five times in a row now and I can say I truly hate this song. She should not play before Mark's set but after it to make sure the hall is cleared fast enough...  Mark's background vocals are redundant and don't fit in, too.

Just my half cent. And thanks to Dutchessy  :wave !! But this time, I can't love it...   :thumbsdown

LE  ;)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 07:50:26 PM »
Trumpet section, LE?    ???
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 08:42:31 PM »
I like it. Nothing special but good.

At least if you listen this song without knowing Knopfler plays, you will identify it, in comparison with the two Heidi Talbot songs where MK on unlistenable.

Mk voice here doesn't fit, but its not that bad.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 11:43:21 PM »
@Val: Only because it's you I listened to it again - yes, there are,  during the guitar solo. Very clear from 3:29 on ? Or has this song damaged my ears THAT much?? Could be synth horns though...

LE

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 12:11:05 AM »
@Val: Only because it's you I listened to it again - yes, there are,  during the guitar solo. Very clear from 3:29 on ? Or has this song damaged my ears THAT much?? Could be synth horns though...

LE

Synths i think
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 11:21:40 AM »
Listened to it a few times more and I can't hear either trumpets or synth horns!   :hmm   

I do like the song a lot, though, and on a blind listening, I would have recognised MK's guitar instantly.  He seems to be duetting with himself as he did on "I Dug Up a DIamond".   My one reservation is that I think MK's vocals at the end, were unnecessary.

I like the other two songs too, so I have great hopes for the album!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 12:53:51 PM »
I will repeat that I like it a lot and will buy it when it is physically released.
Val, would he still have the transcript to that interview?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 01:17:32 PM »
I will repeat that I like it a lot and will buy it when it is physically released.
Val, would he still have the transcript to that interview?

I will be seeing him at the concert on 5th July, so I will ask him if he still has it and if he can send me a scan!  I could have kicked myself that I didn't ask him when we spoke, but I only thought about it later!   :smack

EDIT:   I have now sent him an email, so I hope for the best!    ;)   
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:57:36 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 03:57:16 AM »
Absolute boring and unmeaning song. Mark's usual Guitar addition knocks nobody's socks off I am sure, it is always the same and removable guitar stuff he always delivers when he is asked to. (imagine him sleeping fast and deep and someone shouting PLAY! I guess this is the stuff he would come up with... and there are probably a lot of people saying OH WONDERFUL!) Her voice is replacable with hundreds of these long-brown-haired guitar girls who sound all the same. And for heaven's sake, why is there a trumpet section in it??  :smack  I listened to it five times in a row now and I can say I truly hate this song. She should not play before Mark's set but after it to make sure the hall is cleared fast enough...  Mark's background vocals are redundant and don't fit in, too.

Just my half cent. And thanks to Dutchessy  :wave !! But this time, I can't love it...   :thumbsdown

LE  ;)

Oooh, can't disagree more.  I love this girl's voice.  Much better than Mark's other "long-brown-haired guitar girls".  I like her melodies, and the musicianship on her records is top notch.  She had a guy named Luke Doucet play guitar on her first album and I was very impressed with his stuff.  Very happy for this collaboration.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:18:18 AM by TJ »
Talk soft, carry a big stick, and pack the biggest gun.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 42 queries.