Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Brothers in Arms 5.1  (Read 6405 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Brothers in Arms 5.1
« on: May 19, 2009, 05:26:20 PM »
The day after the Edinburgh gig in 2005 I bought the SACD version of Brothers in Arms. I never did get round to buying an SACD player and it seems the format is now obsolete.

However, I came across a forum dedicated to multi channel music:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5485

It seems it was also released on a DVD format that can be played on an ordinary DVD player connected to a surround sound amp. These are of course a lot more common, and I have one.

I'd love to hear it, but it seems it has been deleted now. Does anyone here have the DVD version of this?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinerudiger

• Camerado
Re: Brothers in Arms 5.1
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 10:44:29 AM »
Hi Dusty, it has been released as dualdisc (cd & 5.1 Surround DVD) by Warner Bros for the US market I guess. I don't have it yet. Now and then you can find it on ebay but the price hardly goes under 35-40 USD (+ postage)

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 02:54:33 PM »
Hi,

I have the surround sound version and it is absolutely amazing... rightly so it won a grammy for best 5.1 surround sound disc!

My copy I also got signed by Guy Fletcher, Danny Cummings too when I was lucky to see and meet them at a local gig near me with Gary Grainger and his band  8)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 09:47:10 PM by xxFordiexx »
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

OfflineGennT

• Camerado
  • Where them chilly winds don't blow...
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 01:29:44 PM »

I am sure a true MK fan would never download it because it is an "Official Release" made by MK himself.So don't offer to share it please,we all respect his releases and if we want to have it we should buy it and not download it from the internet ,It makes no sense.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 05:06:04 PM »
I am sure a true MK fan would never download it because it is an "Official Release" made by MK himself.So don't offer to share it please,we all respect his releases and if we want to have it we should buy it and not download it from the internet ,It makes no sense.

True... BUT! This is of course out of print now and no longer available without paying big bucks to somebody for a used copy.  :-\ I don't think MK would like people ripping off his fans by making big profits on his music either.

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 10:35:12 AM »

True... BUT! This is of course out of print now and no longer available without paying big bucks to somebody for a used copy.  :-\ I don't think MK would like people ripping off his fans by making big profits on his music either.

+1. Have all of you got the original DS and MK singles/b-sides? A lot of  rare and old records/releases are not available to buy now.

OfflineGennT

• Camerado
  • Where them chilly winds don't blow...
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 11:33:04 AM »
Well if its not for sale somewhere officially ,I wouldn't buy a used one either.So you got me on that one  ;)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 11:47:09 AM »
Apart from anything else I have bought Brothers in Arms several times over:

Tape in 1985
CD in 1990
VHS in 1992
Remastered CD in 1993
20th Anniversary SACD in 2005, which is now obsolete and I can't play.

In addition, the 5.1 DVD audio version we are talking about has NEVER been released in my country (UK) as far as I am aware.  :-\

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 12:06:14 PM »
In addition, the 5.1 DVD audio version we are talking about has NEVER been released in my country (UK) as far as I am aware.  :-\

I never used it, by the way - you can check this, it looks like UK shop -  http://www.dvd4music.com/onlineshop/details/cwar49377-5.html

But I'm not sure that Dolby Digital 5.1 sound (you are not going to listen to Hi-Rez) costs

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 12:09:16 PM »
I was just going to post that link too. You beat me by 2 seconds.  ;) strange to see that price, if you see at amazon you can buy it for $125,-

In addition, the 5.1 DVD audio version we are talking about has NEVER been released in my country (UK) as far as I am aware.  :-\

I never used it, by the way - you can check this, it looks like UK shop -  http://www.dvd4music.com/onlineshop/details/cwar49377-5.html

But I'm not sure that Dolby Digital 5.1 sound (you are not going to listen to Hi-Rez) costs
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 12:24:24 PM »
You beat me by 2 seconds.

Yes, my Google is faster than your  ;D

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 12:54:21 PM »
I was just going to post that link too. You beat me by 2 seconds.  ;) strange to see that price, if you see at amazon you can buy it for $125,-

In addition, the 5.1 DVD audio version we are talking about has NEVER been released in my country (UK) as far as I am aware.  :-\

I never used it, by the way - you can check this, it looks like UK shop -  http://www.dvd4music.com/onlineshop/details/cwar49377-5.html

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 02:14:07 PM »
Thanks, I've never heard of this shop to be honest and I don't think I would buy it from them. It says 5.1 but it doesn't make it clear that it's DVD audio, it could possibly be the SACD version which I already have but can't play. Either way, I still don't think this has ever been released officially in the UK, and

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 02:54:09 PM »
You can ask for a printscreen from the back of the cd, there is an FBI warning on it. So then you know if it is the right one.
This is the back side :

"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 04:07:55 PM »
Apart from anything else I have bought Brothers in Arms several times over:

Tape in 1985
CD in 1990
VHS in 1992
Remastered CD in 1993
20th Anniversary SACD in 2005, which is now obsolete and I can't play.

I purchased the "20th Anniversary" BIA version back in 2005 at just a regular music store. First (and last) disc I ever owned that had data on both sides of the disk. I didn't know it was only released in the US though...interesting. All I remember is that I was hoping the regular audio on one side had been "buffed up" since the 1993 remaster, but it was merely a duplicate of the orginal release. And don't think you are missing anything on the DVD 5.1 side either, because from what I recall all that was there were two images that slid back and forth of the album art.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 38 queries.