Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark the Guitarist on ODR  (Read 1734 times)

Onlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
Re: Mark the Guitarist on ODR
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2024, 10:52:06 PM »
Actually, I was quite surprised to hear so much and such good guitar on the album.
After the Goodwood performance I had expected the guitarwork, and especially any form of solo, to be reduced to a minimum.
But now, the tone and taste is impeccable as always, and I like most of the licks and short solos.

Of course we'd all wish for long solos, but it's clear that the guitar god days are long over. I'm just glad he still can and still wants to play at all.

It seems to me that the focus is entirely on the singing now, with the guitar just adding a flavour here and there. In the past, it was the guitar that carried the expression, and the voice was just an add-on, but now it's the other way around. Imho, Mark has turned from a master guitarist into a master singer, and I just love to hear his voice!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Onlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2024, 10:58:36 PM »
100% agree with all you have said Ingridswing! Good to have caught up with you on Friday by the way, and good to see you back in your rightful place on the forum!
I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to have see MK once again and have a better understanding as to some of the song histories and also thankful that he has found the energy to release such a powerful album which like you state is certainly one of his best. One thing I must add is 'The Masters' singing on this album and bonus is immense!

What about the song histories? Can you give us some info please? What questions did you ask him? I can't wait to hear more  :wave
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2024, 11:01:02 PM »
100% agree with all you have said Ingridswing! Good to have caught up with you on Friday by the way, and good to see you back in your rightful place on the forum!
I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to have see MK once again and have a better understanding as to some of the song histories and also thankful that he has found the energy to release such a powerful album which like you state is certainly one of his best. One thing I must add is 'The Masters' singing on this album and bonus is immense!

What about the song histories? Can you give us some info please? What questions did you ask him? I can't wait to hear more  :wave
He talked in depth about tunnel 13 but I'm not saying anymore because the event will be out on broadcast soon I should expect
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2024, 11:01:23 PM »
His unique touch, tone and phrasing are still there and there is no one on this planet that will ever be able to sound like him. His guitar playing on this album made me emotional and some songs grab you by the throat and don't let go. Amazing album.
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2024, 11:20:09 PM »
I have to say that, although he's nowhere near the guitarist he was, I was actually surprised by how much he was able to achieve with so little. The touch and tone are still there. But it is sad though.

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2024, 11:37:33 PM »
His unique touch, tone and phrasing are still there and there is no one on this planet that will ever be able to sound like him. His guitar playing on this album made me emotional and some songs grab you by the throat and don't let go. Amazing album.

I echo all of this post. I really feel like, with this album, he’s been freed up and unburdened by his decision to stop touring. It’s a great record with great songs and guitar playing that fits well

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2024, 11:42:57 PM »
Hard to tell from your posts sometimes.  :lol

Give it some more listens. Six years of work deserve some more than just one.

LE

Um, I just received it today.

And Knopflerfan rest assured I listened in hi res from my blu-ray through my lovely vintage Castle speakers, but thanks for the scolding you guys, made me feel like a schoolboy after all these years!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2024, 11:45:49 PM »

LE

And Knopflerfan rest assured I listened in hi res from my blu-ray through my lovely vintage Castle speakers, but thanks for the scolding you guys, made me feel like a schoolboy after all these years!

So how was the Hi Res version for you? I've a Blu Ray copy coming in the post and am intrigued...

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2024, 11:46:09 PM »

LE

And without headphones too. Let the music flow...

I can’t agree more. Let the music flow. Listen to it in your room without ear phones, without anyone around. You will hear more and more in every song. Unbelievable quality!

Not sure where this chat about headphones has come from????

Seeing as everyone has gone mad and for the avoidance of doubt, I thought the guitar fitted the songs, ie it was perfect. Not sure why that’s such a hard thing to understand?  ???

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2024, 11:50:09 PM »

LE

So how was the Hi Res version for you? I've a Blu Ray copy coming in the post and am intrigued...

It sounded good, but that’s something I’ve come to expect from every Knopfler release from the very start.

If I had a minor criticism it would be that it lacks dynamic range - everything is pretty much at the same level. Again, that’s been the case for the bulk of the solo releases, which is a bit of a shame when you think about stuff like Love Over Gold. But I’ve asked Guy about it before and he says he’s not bothered so I guess it is What It Is.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2024, 11:50:31 PM »

LE

And without headphones too. Let the music flow...

I can’t agree more. Let the music flow. Listen to it in your room without ear phones, without anyone around. You will hear more and more in every song. Unbelievable quality!

Not sure where this chat about headphones has come from????

Seeing as everyone has gone mad and for the avoidance of doubt, I thought the guitar fitted the songs, ie it was perfect. Not sure why that’s such a hard thing to understand?  ???

No need to worry about the headphone chat...

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2024, 11:51:37 PM »
I just wondered where it came from? Did someone else say that had listened on headphones? I didn’t.  ???

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2024, 11:53:04 PM »
I just wondered where it came from? Did someone else say that had listened on headphones? I didn’t.  ???

That wasn't aimed at you Dusty from what i gather but at dmg who had been listening to the album through headphones...

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2024, 11:54:49 PM »
Ok!

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2024, 12:10:47 AM »

LE

Scolding? It was just meant as a friendly advice at the most, just forget about it. Won't happen again.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 38 queries.