Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Recordings of Mark Knopfler and Bob Dylan North American Tour 2012  (Read 152588 times)

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
Re: Recordings of Mark Knopfler and Bob Dylan North American Tour 2012
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2012, 03:39:08 PM »
Yes YTC is a killer but i think they can improve the song to another level with a few smart and logic touch. I'm waiting to hear  Today is Okay live. The song has a lot of potential.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2012, 03:41:43 PM »
Yes, I agree it's a much better concert than the previous ones but (yes, here we go again ::)) these guys should be able to play this set list in their sleep.  This set is rubbish.  Pure and simple.  Songs which sound easy to play and slowed down (see Miss You Blues) to make them even easier!  Low concentration levels needed for this set, especially Mark who barely takes part in the show now.  No one is going to walk out of these shows saying "wow he can really play that guitar."  This show may be much better musically, but it still doesn't do anything for me at all.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2012, 04:02:22 PM »
Yes, I agree it's a much better concert than the previous ones but (yes, here we go again ::)) these guys should be able to play this set list in their sleep.  This set is rubbish.  Pure and simple.  Songs which sound easy to play and slowed down (see Miss You Blues) to make them even easier!  Low concentration levels needed for this set, especially Mark who barely takes part in the show now.  No one is going to walk out of these shows saying "wow he can really play that guitar."  This show may be much better musically, but it still doesn't do anything for me at all.
Well, Miss You Blues is not part of the set of this concert ?!. I don't miss you blues actually... :)
What is rubbish about the set ? ok there is no SAN... SFA is overplayed... and SFSL I still don't understand why this song exists... but besides that, the set is a quality one ! 6 new songs, a great WII...
If think Mark is very present on YTC, CBC, HFB, MT,...
Sorry to be optimisitc. Mark has increased YTC by almost 30 seconds, this shows that he can progress as the tour goes !

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »

This is the Saskatoon gig to which you are referring, dmg, is it?   I can't believe you just made those remarks!  So the set is rubbish, according to you!   Six of the songs on the setlist are from the new album and they are all songs I really want to hear played live, even if you don't! 

So Mark barely takes part in the show now?   Well what about WII, CBC, YTC, P, RT, IUTC, SFSL and HFB?   Does he not take any part in those?    ::)    I would be very pleased to hear such a setlist, plus Marbletown, of course!    ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2012, 04:45:21 PM »
As for songs from the new album, I think he could have chosen better ones.  I Used to Could just doesn't work without the harmonica and leaves no room for improv.  Same for CBC, Privateering, RT and HA.  Although I did notice they added aa little of Jim's organs to the end of Privateering on this one.

Of the songs you mention Val I would "argue" ;) that he doesn't take much of a part in CBC, YTC, P or IUTC in that he shares these songs with his band.

Sorry, but IMO this set is criminal.  No big finish.  Mind you, the band can sneak off stage while the audience are sleeping after Marbletown!

Bad mistake in SFA too.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2012, 04:51:44 PM »
I shouldn't bother going to the shows next year, dmg, you obviously won't enjoy them!    :lol
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2012, 05:00:46 PM »
I shouldn't bother going to the shows next year, dmg, you obviously won't enjoy them!    :lol

Well, I was really looking forward to the shows after hearing the way Mark performed last year with that renewed vigour and zest.  Also for meeting so many forum members.  However, now after hearing these few performances and the way he has decided to turn his set into what can only be described as a "stroll in the park" for them I really don't know how to feel about 2013 at all. :-\

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2012, 05:03:10 PM »
You guys are really interesting. His form 1000 times better than KTGC and GL tour days. If you wanna sleep with what it is and stand prairie wedding and live monteleone, the fish and the bird, true love will never ....fade it's ok. He palys uptempo blues song with good musicianship and it's not good, he plays energetic what it is instead of dead walking what it is and again, it's not good. Some say he don't play his new albums, now he's got already 8-9 of them and again, it's not good. First shows are never the perfect ones and  i think we all know that. Anyway if he don't play DWB and MYB this is a perfect list.

And for Soomlos if you read this thanks a million times mate :clap :thumbsup

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2012, 05:07:45 PM »

Well, I was really looking forward to the shows after hearing the way Mark performed last year with that renewed vigour and zest.  Also for meeting so many forum members.  However, now after hearing these few performances and the way he has decided to turn his set into what can only be described as a "stroll in the park" for them I really don't know how to feel about 2013 at all. :-\

I kind of agree with that comment from Dmg...

I only purchased one ticket for the RAH because thats a must, and will be again my first show of the tour, and also just one spanish ticket because I
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2012, 05:13:43 PM »
You guys are really interesting. His form 1000 times better than KTGC and GL tour days. If you wanna sleep with what it is and stand prairie wedding and live monteleone, the fish and the bird, true love will never ....fade it's ok. He palys uptempo blues song with good musicianship and it's not good, he plays energetic what it is instead of dead walking what it is and again, it's not good. Some say he don't play his new albums, now he's got already 8-9 of them and again, it's not good. First shows are never the perfect ones and  i think we all know that. Anyway if he don't play DWB and MYB this is a perfect list.

And for Soomlos if you read this thanks a million times mate :clap :thumbsup

+1000
I liked the GL tour, I miss Border, Piper and SAN, but WII is much better now and 8 new songs live out of which at least 6 are played in a show is a real treat...
If only next year we could have SAN and a revival of TR in 2005 style... this would be heaven. Drop the overplayed RAJ and SFA, reduce DS to a minimum but essential set: SoS (the one that started it all), TR (the most complex song, flirting with prog rock) and BIA (the most touching one).

My ideal setlist for 2013:

Border Reiver
What it is
Why Aye Man
Yon Two Crows
Redbud Tree
Hill Farmer's Blues
Sultans of Swing
Privateering
Rudiger (yes, I like it !)
Boom, Like That
Marbletown
Speedway at Nazareth
Telegraph Road
Brothers in Arms
Piper to the end
Going Home

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2012, 05:17:46 PM »
And if the 2013 selection of songs is gonna be like this... I

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2012, 05:24:58 PM »
I used to could sound full of energy in the cd, but live, at least the live recordings... Does MK anything else besided rythmic guitar and a little bit of slide into his Fender at low volume?

It doesnt says anything to me, a poor live approach to the song.

Yon two crows, until the end, it sounds empty to me, and like "What are we doing exactly?" I have a serious question, what does MK, besides singing, in all the song? Did he play the guitar at all?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2012, 05:28:52 PM »
Jbaent - Why does he have to go through hoops to please people?   Sometimes what appear to be the easiest of songs are the ones that appeal most!   He doesn't need to do musical gymnastics to please us all of the time!  I would prefer he plays the music that he wants to play and give it his heart and soul!

Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2012, 05:46:57 PM »
I used to could sound full of energy in the cd, but live, at least the live recordings... Does MK anything else besided rythmic guitar and a little bit of slide into his Fender at low volume?

It doesnt says anything to me, a poor live approach to the song.

Yon two crows, until the end, it sounds empty to me, and like "What are we doing exactly?" I have a serious question, what does MK, besides singing, in all the song? Did he play the guitar at all?
I second Superval is that what is important is not what Mark does, but how the end results sounds. Mark has nothing to prove really after the career he had, and we know that he is not into "show-off" mode like for TR 92 - the technical ability is just a tool to support the song - if needed. The song is queen !
As far as YTC is concerned, I don't see the problem. The song is structured that way - a slow build up to the finale. You could say the same about Speedway, until the last vocal it is a rather slow song with a superb end solo. That's very knoplferian. The same could be said about TOL, OES, TR... plenty of DS masterpieces. It's a trademark...

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2012, 06:16:55 PM »
Well, I

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 39 queries.