Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Recordings of Mark Knopfler and Bob Dylan North American Tour 2012  (Read 152576 times)

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
Re: Recordings of Mark Knopfler and Bob Dylan North American Tour 2012
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2012, 12:02:08 AM »
Thanks for your videos Sweetsurrender.
  :clap :wave

I will say this, in the  Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler shows I have been to, he has never disappointed me.

MK on a poor night is leaps above many musicians on a good night.

Great set list/ performance discussions folks
Got to say the comments which fit closest to my own are the slightly modified ones from silentguy here....
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 05:13:03 AM by shangri la 1 »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2012, 12:10:37 AM »
I remember being dissapointed about my Dortmund 2005 show, but that is the only one out of many, many shows....
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2012, 12:12:03 AM »

I will say this, in the  Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler shows I have been to, he has never disappointed me.

MK on a poor night is leaps above many musicians on a good night.

Great set list/ performance discussions folks
Got to say the comments which fit closest to my own are the slightly modified ones from silentguy here....
Agreed with silentguy on this.
We have to remember that absolutely nothing, not even a 3D Blu-Ray with DTS-MA sound on a top notch 5.1 system, can replace the concert experience. I remember in 2010 before the show in Paris I had heard a few Simfy records already and had some reserverations, especially about the laid-back TR... all these reservations vanished when I was a few meters away from MK. He was my hero again... :)

Offlinesilentguy

• Camerado
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2012, 01:13:40 AM »
Here's another perspective.

Bootlegs lie....

In some cases they make the show sound better than it was.
In other cases they make the show sound worse than it was.

I'd agree that nothing can compare to the live concert experience,
and sometimes it is different for each person.

Example, the Vancouver show,   Dylan fans walked out on Dylan.  People sitting beside me walked out.
Lady said she couldnt take it anymore.
I thought Dylan was really bad, but I stuck it out.
I wanted to walk out.
A person from behind me, a big Knopfler fan left early.
Out of respect for Dylan I stayed, but I will say it was not a great show.

After show I mentioned in parking lot that I thought Dylan was not great,
and I was rudely told he was fantastic.
I guess we both saw different shows ....  :)

Offlinenavgav

• Guitar George
« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2012, 01:32:59 AM »
Saskatoon show is great...end of! WII, CBC, YTC, HFB, MT all top performances from MK and band. Great vocal and Ian Thomas drumming really adds something imo. Mark's guitar work in MT is of the highest order....we should be thankful MK age 63 is still out there doing the business x

Offlinefabirydel

• Guitar George
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2012, 02:50:04 PM »
Good God people, i cant believe what i'm reading. People complaining about setlists and versions and solos lenghts... Do you even realize how incredibly and unbelievably lucky you are to be able to hear and see mark knopfler LIVE?
I understand that everyone's got there favourite songs, my first picks would probably not be DWB or RBT or Marbletown,  despite them being fantastic songs, but i would just be greatful to the God of music (also known as MK) and quit complaining...
There are THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of MK fans all over the world who dont even have the chance to assist to the man's shows solely because of geographical reasons, e.g. i live in Uruguay, so just to travel to USA or Europe would be like 1500 usd and that's just something i cant afford...
And i breathe MK night and day, i've probably downloaded evertythig there is to download from the tracker, even made a couple of dvd's myself, man... it would really be a dream come true to assist to a a MK show, every time a new tour is announced and South America is left out it feels like that's all it will ever be, a dream...
I dont mean to be rude or anything but come on people, quit complaining and be grateful to life for this chance you've been given and enjoy it for the rest of us who have to settle with recordings  :) :)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2012, 04:09:28 PM »
Good God people, i cant believe what i'm reading. People complaining about setlists and versions and solos lenghts... Do you even realize how incredibly and unbelievably lucky you are to be able to hear and see mark knopfler LIVE?
I understand that everyone's got there favourite songs, my first picks would probably not be DWB or RBT or Marbletown,  despite them being fantastic songs, but i would just be greatful to the God of music (also known as MK) and quit complaining...
There are THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of MK fans all over the world who dont even have the chance to assist to the man's shows solely because of geographical reasons, e.g. i live in Uruguay, so just to travel to USA or Europe would be like 1500 usd and that's just something i cant afford...
And i breathe MK night and day, i've probably downloaded evertythig there is to download from the tracker, even made a couple of dvd's myself, man... it would really be a dream come true to assist to a a MK show, every time a new tour is announced and South America is left out it feels like that's all it will ever be, a dream...
I dont mean to be rude or anything but come on people, quit complaining and be grateful to life for this chance you've been given and enjoy it for the rest of us who have to settle with recordings  :) :)

you are soooo right.
thnx for that post!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2012, 04:18:29 PM »

you are soooo right.
thnx for that post!

Yeah, absolutely.
No offense to dmg and Love Expresso, this is nothing personal, you are adorable persons (thanks again LE for the DVD !) and your contributions are great and I deeply respect them, but I am more optimistic than your are ! I see a superb band, full of energy, improving on existing songs (WII, MT) and treating us with 8 - yes, 8 !- new songs, which has never happened before, 2 of which with extended guitar solos compared to the album ! of course the set is not complete, it is not meant to be, Mark has only about 60% of his normal time slot ! but Guy said that next year they will have plenty of new material to mix with old ones for a full-length show, and I really believe it will be great !
DS hasn't died, it just switched name to MK ! :)

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2012, 04:19:47 PM »

you are soooo right.
thnx for that post!

I second that !

I'm soooo grateful to the point of being indebted to MK for the privilege of being able to attend his shows. I'll go to the end of the world if I have to just to hear him.   Criticising how he plays or even what he plays isn't why I go to see him.  It's a revealing  moments when I'm in his presence and that to me is more than I can ask for.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2012, 04:40:58 PM »
Yes, we are so lucky that some of us forgets about it...

Thanks God that there is always someone to put us down on Earth again...

Gracias Fabian, viejo amigo!

:clap
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinefabirydel

• Guitar George
« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2012, 04:51:21 PM »
Yes, we are so lucky that some of us forgets about it...

Thanks God that there is always someone to put us down on Earth again...

Gracias Fabian, viejo amigo!

:clap

Cheers Jbaent!

I wanted to add a big big thanks to all the tapers who share their recordings with the rest of us! Given that for some strange and unknown reason MK doesnt release live albums/dvds  :hmm (with a couple of exceptions), i wouldnt even know how he sounds live if it wasnt for those who risk getting kicked out of the venue in order to record the shows (we all know it's forbidden :o)!
So big thanks to them!  :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 04:55:15 PM by fabirydel »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2012, 04:54:52 PM »
I have the strong feeling that we will see a Blu-Ray/DVD in either 2012 with Bob and 2013... seems that now the band has reached MK's expectations and that it will be time for "Alchemy II - 30 years later" :D

Love Expresso

« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2012, 05:30:53 PM »
This forum would be boring without different opinions.

I stay with my opinion about the two YouTube Videos being crap, artistic content, not the videos itself, and I don't know what that has to do with optimistic or pessimistic. Reading that MK plays my favourite track  from the album, Miss You Blues, is one thing, listening to this absolute powerless and boring version has been a total disappointment for me. I know there are many people who are not able to see MK because of geographical reasons and they have my fullest sympathy, but come on folks.. what is wrong here at the moment?

Again: Saying that I wanted to sell my tickets was A JOKE, directed to dmg... saying that they obviously party too much, was meant as a joke, but in the meantime and after reading Richard's diary ending every day with "G&T" for Guy and me and beer and wine for the other" seems to give a hint that they are not so hard working as we all think maybe. Whatsoever... I WON'T be able to see MK and BD (because of GEOGRAPHICAL reasons), and in 2009 I joined AMIT primarily to utter my opinions, be happy, be angry, be sad, be proud, be funny and god knows what else.

AS LONG AS I DO NOT offend any other member or dig too deep into MK's or the band's personal life, or, in a nutshell,  as long as I write with the forum's rules, I might say what I want! Thank you very much if I am still allowed to do so.

I see no relation between not being able to join a show because of geographical reasons and (not) being able to utter opinions about Mark Knopfler's latest live performances, sorry folks.

The same goes for the "he is 63 and we should be thankful that he is still playing at all." No. Not in a fan forum.

Boys (and girls), THAT post of mine was written one week ago, I have to admit I hardly know what I have written, and still it is coming up!!

Pottel wrote a few days ago that the so and so show was the worst so far with a  mediocre bla bla bla... so what... should we ban Pottel now?? 

Really, best thing in weeks at AMIT has been the implementation of THIS emoticon:  :smack

LE

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2012, 05:57:24 PM »
LE, who ever talked about banning anybody ? This is of course the land of freedom of speech and mutual respect ! :)
But please, do yourself a favor. Go and download the fabulous Saskatoon concert, listen to it fully on good speakers, and then tell me honestly if it is crap or not...
Cheers :)

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #134 on: October 20, 2012, 06:39:48 PM »
This forum would be boring without different opinions.

I stay with my opinion about the two YouTube Videos being crap, artistic content, not the videos itself, and I don't know what that has to do with optimistic or pessimistic. Reading that MK plays my favourite track  from the album, Miss You Blues, is one thing, listening to this absolute powerless and boring version has been a total disappointment for me. I know there are many people who are not able to see MK because of geographical reasons and they have my fullest sympathy, but come on folks.. what is wrong here at the moment?

Again: Saying that I wanted to sell my tickets was A JOKE, directed to dmg... saying that they obviously party too much, was meant as a joke, but in the meantime and after reading Richard's diary ending every day with "G&T" for Guy and me and beer and wine for the other" seems to give a hint that they are not so hard working as we all think maybe. Whatsoever... I WON'T be able to see MK and BD (because of GEOGRAPHICAL reasons), and in 2009 I joined AMIT primarily to utter my opinions, be happy, be angry, be sad, be proud, be funny and god knows what else.

AS LONG AS I DO NOT offend any other member or dig too deep into MK's or the band's personal life, or, in a nutshell,  as long as I write with the forum's rules, I might say what I want! Thank you very much if I am still allowed to do so.

I see no relation between not being able to join a show because of geographical reasons and (not) being able to utter opinions about Mark Knopfler's latest live performances, sorry folks.

The same goes for the "he is 63 and we should be thankful that he is still playing at all." No. Not in a fan forum.

Boys (and girls), THAT post of mine was written one week ago, I have to admit I hardly know what I have written, and still it is coming up!!

Pottel wrote a few days ago that the so and so show was the worst so far with a  mediocre bla bla bla... so what... should we ban Pottel now?? 

Really, best thing in weeks at AMIT has been the implementation of THIS emoticon:  :smack

LE

Yeah, right. If we wouldn't love MK and his music, we probably wouldn't be here. So there's no need to point that out.

My take on the recordings so far (thank you very much, all you recorders out there!):

This is the most exciting setlist in years, no, in decades! And I loved listening to most songs, with the exception of Miss You Blues, which I thought was poor on the album, and even poorer live. What I'm waiting for now is just Bob inviting Mark on stage, and him finally playing some songs from Tempest. He's in a more difficult situation than Mark; he doesn't have many good ones to choose from - the second half of his album is a disappointment to me. But still, I don't agree with all the poeple (including some long-time Dylan fans) who say he's not worth listening to anymore. What I've heard on YouTube was pretty good, and he still has one of the tightest bands on the planet. All in all: I'd be excited to go to one of these concerts, but I can't - for geographical reasons.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 41 queries.