Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 9th October  (Read 3268 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
9th October
« on: October 12, 2012, 11:35:37 AM »
I remembered on the 8th, then forgot to post on the 9th itself  ::) but albeit a few days late I think we should reflect on an anniversary - 20 years since the final DS concert in Zaragoza.  I think they knew at the time that was probably the end, at least on that scale.  Too bad the set was standard with TR and with no extras like Y&YF or FTB.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: 9th October
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 11:48:46 AM »
Every member that talked about gig said they knew it will be the last one... I guess  they became too much bigger and they were too tired and bored of that kind of touring.

I heard stories about that the band was split in several small groups, and travelled separately and they only see each others in the concerts, but I dont know how much of that stories are true or not...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 04:43:46 PM »
I do believe that even though MK had total control of the band and the music and the production and everything, being in a band called DS, came with some sort of restrictions, limitations and obligations. The fact that from 1986 until 1990 he was traveling  around the world playing as a hired guitar or creating music with his friends, surely must have being a great relief from touring and the rest. The only reason for getting the band back together was contract obligations and probably money. Even though I much prefer the pre 1986 tours, I would have loved to see them live, even then and the split up that became apparent after the golden heart release, made me sad. 
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 05:26:11 PM »
It is sad, but it was inevitable when the band was so large that small groups would form.  Old pals, newbies, different nationalities etc sticking together.  Maybe hindsight is on my side here but it looks like an accident waiting to happen.

That being said I do think that PF and DC were important to many of the new songs especially CE and OES.  Just listen to CE from the solo tours and it's just woeful without pedal steel and percussion.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 05:47:04 PM »
Just listen to CE from the solo tours and it's just woeful without pedal steel and percussion.

disagree.
CE in 96 is awesome, linked to je suis desole (a totally surprise to me at the time), fabulous bass break, Richard's licks are far much better than palmer'sone, the end solo i more growing crescendo, while on OES tour, it started right straight, and last but not least the LP 58 ! (sorry, but I can't stand the pensa)

I also like 2001 versions. I know that mots of people here don't like the 2001 tour, but I love some Mike Henderson solos, very bluesy-rock, in kind of SRV/Gallagher/Allman/etc...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 06:05:02 PM »
Just listen to CE from the solo tours and it's just woeful without pedal steel and percussion.

disagree.
CE in 96 is awesome, linked to je suis desole (a totally surprise to me at the time), fabulous bass break, Richard's licks are far much better than palmer'sone, the end solo i more growing crescendo, while on OES tour, it started right straight, and last but not least the LP 58 ! (sorry, but I can't stand the pensa)

I also like 2001 versions. I know that mots of people here don't like the 2001 tour, but I love some Mike Henderson solos, very bluesy-rock, in kind of SRV/Gallagher/Allman/etc...

CE is '96 was a complete disaster.  Pedal steel programmed into Guy's synths...eew.  Marks solos weren't up to scratch either;  he wasn't really reaching the peaks like he did on the OES tour.  Bass should be seen, not heard!  Richards little licks were too laid back for the song.  Pipe and slippers please!  Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree on this but I can't believe anyone actually prefers the later ones! :disbelief :)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 06:41:44 PM »
well it's of course a matter of taste... :)
oh and I forgot, the Vaison version is much better, with the chords changes at the end  :P
I remember TM ayisng on his site it was the best CE version ever
Don't want to convince you, but just to say I'm not the only one prefering these later versions :D

Love Expresso

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 07:39:23 PM »
Calling Elvis 1996 is the most genius 10 minutes in Mark's complete (solo) career. Just listen to that London version from May 24th 1996 - that Calling Elvis version has something almost ... psychedelic! The connection with Je Suis Desol
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 09:25:14 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 09:23:22 PM »
CE 96 is my fave one by far. And the way it was linked with "Je suis d
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 09:25:16 PM »
Calling Elvis 1996 is the most genious 10 minutes in Mark's complete (solo) career. Just listen to that London version from May 24th 1996 - that Calling Elvis version has something almost ... psychedelic! The connection with Je Suis Desol

Love Expresso

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 09:28:35 PM »
Well.... Alchemy IS the best instrumental complete PART ever played by MK - as it is genius anyway in every little detail... apart from Hal Lindes trousers..

;D

LE

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 11:09:49 PM »
Well.... Alchemy IS the best instrumental complete PART ever played by MK - as it is genius anyway in every little detail... apart from Hal Lindes trousers..

;D

LE
Hal Lindes trousers are awful, but I'm not sure Jack Sonni was an improvement, as far as dressing is concerned :D
Which instrumental part are you referring too in Alchemy ? the sax intro to TOL ?

Love Expresso

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 11:32:12 PM »
Sorry for speaking mysterious tonight... I meant more or less the complete concert... but of course all the great solos on it, let it be Sultans, Tunnel Of Love, Telegraph Road, or also Expresso Love... great and inspired guitar work... alchemy, the one-man-knopfler-show, as I once read it...

LE

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 12:36:45 AM »
Sorry for speaking mysterious tonight... I meant more or less the complete concert... but of course all the great solos on it, let it be Sultans, Tunnel Of Love, Telegraph Road, or also Expresso Love... great and inspired guitar work... alchemy, the one-man-knopfler-show, as I once read it...

LE
Alchemy is fab... the guitar was not (yet) overdriven too much, so ir sounded very strong... Sultans is great, full of energy, so is TR, TOL is wonderful (even though I prefer Wembley'85 slightly better, more romantic). Quite timeless... lack of sax breaks, but this is more consensual to appeal to everybody, as some people can't stand too much sax :)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 11:52:53 AM »

LE
Totally agree but OUATITW is my fav one

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 44 queries.