Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The reason why no more sultans  (Read 17815 times)

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
Re: The reason why no more sultans
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 10:32:14 AM »
Sultans has been played 15 times from the 32 concerts so far this tour. So seldom is a wrong word.
And my 2 cents on this:
MK is doing more variation, as we all wished for in earlier years, and now everyone is complaining.
I think he likes to vary.
I like the variation as well. The more new songs the better as far as I'm concerned. You are right Ingrid, but he has only played sultans 4 times in the last 20 concerts. That to me is seldom. I wonder if those of you who attended the RAH on the final night have witnessed sultans being played live for the final time ever.
I actually wondered the same..not a pleasant thought!

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 11:08:07 AM »
I don't think so he will play a guitar fest this summer and SOS had to be there.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinestratocasteph

• Local Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 11:11:11 AM »
I wonder if those of you who attended the RAH on the final night have witnessed sultans being played live for the final time ever.
Of coure not. I'm sure he will play it again... on the next "corporate" show (juste like the Range Rover one), the only place where he plays the DS hits. :hmm

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 11:33:29 AM »
I don't think so he will play a guitar fest this summer and SOS had to be there.
I follow your logic, but I don't think Mark is driven by logic.
Mark is driven solely by what he wants to do. He has earned the freedom of the great man who not only does what he wants, but also does not feel the need to justify himself.  So, as far as he is concerned, I don't assume *anything* and I consider that *everything* is possible. Even replacing TR with the Fish and the Bird (hope not, though !).

Isn't "never complain, never explain" the motto of the British crown, after all ? ;)

Love Expresso

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 11:37:50 AM »
I wonder if those of you who attended the RAH on the final night have witnessed sultans being played live for the final time ever.
Of coure not. I'm sure he will play it again... on the next "corporate" show (juste like the Range Rover one), the only place where he plays the DS hits. :hmm

I am sure he does so when he finds the time after this 80 gigs in front of big fan audiences he does at the age of 63 right now, leaving nothing but highly excited crowds so far. Crowds not caring if DS was played or not, but only jugding what I have witnessed myself three times so far on this tour: a damn good concert experience...

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 12:18:19 PM »
I follow your logic, but I don't think Mark is driven by logic.
Mark is driven solely by what he wants to do. He has earned the freedom of the great man who not only does what he wants, but also does not feel the need to justify himself.  So, as far as he is concerned, I don't assume *anything* and I consider that *everything* is possible. Even replacing TR with the Fish and the Bird (hope not, though !).

Isn't "never complain, never explain" the motto of the British crown, after all ? ;)

But Mark is "not quite exactly in the service of the crown!" ;D

P.S.  It's really just a quote from The Queen's mother rather than the motto of the British crown.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:25:04 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineBarzofarhyme

• Camerado
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 12:23:40 PM »
Sultans has been played 15 times from the 32 concerts so far this tour. So seldom is a wrong word.
And my 2 cents on this:
MK is doing more variation, as we all wished for in earlier years, and now everyone is complaining.
I think he likes to vary.
I like the variation as well. The more new songs the better as far as I'm concerned. You are right Ingrid, but he has only played sultans 4 times in the last 20 concerts. That to me is seldom. I wonder if those of you who attended the RAH on the final night have witnessed sultans being played live for the final time ever.

Being one of the lucky ones who was there for the last night at the RAH i have to say that if it is the last time he plays it live {which i doubt it will be } then he definitely went out with a bang,Stunning version!! :) :clap :clap
All i do is kiss you, through the bars of a rhyme

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 09:33:28 AM »
I can say that MK can certainly belt out SOS having heard it twice during this current tour! But agree with most on here that he likes to vary the tune/song selection - maybe because he knows so many of us 'fans' follow him around the globe??!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinecommunique

• Local Hero
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 12:20:23 AM »
So, what do you guys think. Is Sultans gone forever? Was the RAH it's final farewell?

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 12:39:25 AM »
Nope.  I am gonna stay positive on this one...   :P  I am holding out hope that he will play SOS in Z
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 06:23:48 AM »
So, what do you guys think. Is Sultans gone forever? Was the RAH it's final farewell?

I sure hope not !!! >:(

OfflineMaxx

• Camerado
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 08:17:51 AM »

I don't think so. After all, he did play MFN and WOL just a couple of month ago.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 11:17:49 AM »

I don't think so. After all, he did play MFN and WOL just a couple of month ago.

He'll play it at when he's playing at a corporate event in front of VIP's, but paying fans who actually love the music...  I despair. :(

OfflineMaxx

• Camerado
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 11:43:37 AM »

He'll play it at when he's playing at a corporate event in front of VIP's, but paying fans who actually love the music...  I despair. :(

Sure, I just mean that the possibillities are rather good, even for such songs as MFN to be played during future tours.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 06:10:41 PM »

Sure, I just mean that the possibillities are rather good, even for such songs as MFN to be played during future tours.

I really don't think so.  If you look at the set lists over the years, very little has changed as far as DS oldies is concerned (R&J, SOS, BIA, SFA).  Only the new songs introduced to the set is what is changing it (plus one or two surprises).

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 37 queries.