Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 606620 times)

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #240 on: August 04, 2009, 09:26:31 AM »
I wonder what made them do that. I mean, isn't Guy always the one who says MK doesn't look back, yada yada yada... And now Alchemy? Not that I'm complaining, though. We MK fans should be happy about ANY kind of live release I guess  :-\

This is a very good point, I can remember Guy saying this quite a lot of times: "I can't honestly see any of the old stuff being re-hashed as I've said many times, we're not for looking back." What made the change here? Although MK always says that he is slow...

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
« Reply #241 on: August 04, 2009, 09:56:02 AM »
This could be the starting point for more releases possibly in the future.
Surely out of ALL the things i think most DS fans would want if asked, would be Alchemy on Dvd.
One of the 1st questions any new forum member seems to ask is, has Alchemy ever been released on Dvd.
I know this was my 1st question about 5 yrs ago when i 1st joined MK News.
Perhaps the powers that be, have finally given into pressure.
If the sales of the 'Alchemy' Dvd exceed expectations, then we could possibly be in line for future releases.
If sales figures are bad, then......... :'(

Here's hoping. ;D

Cheers   BBB
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #242 on: August 04, 2009, 10:09:40 AM »
Although I have transferred my VHS copy to DVD, I will definitely be buying the new all singing, all dancing DVD!  ;D   I hope it will be the whole concert and that sales will go through the roof and we will get more good things in the near future!   :D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #243 on: August 04, 2009, 10:12:03 AM »

If the sales of the 'Alchemy' Dvd exceed expectations, then we could possibly be in line for future releases.
If sales figures are bad, then......... :'(

Here's hoping. ;D

Cheers   BBB

Everybody who had Alchemy on VHS, will buy it on DVD. I'm sure. Was Alchemy bestseller? Yes.  

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #244 on: August 04, 2009, 10:48:54 AM »
I'm with you LE, I'd prefer a 2008 audio soundboard. They do look gay.

That said, Alchemy was a massive seller om VHS, so they could be testing the water here.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #245 on: August 04, 2009, 02:29:05 PM »
I wonder what made them do that. I mean, isn't Guy always the one who says MK doesn't look back, yada yada yada... And now Alchemy? Not that I'm complaining, though. We MK fans should be happy about ANY kind of live release I guess  :-\

I have serious doubts that Mark is anyway involved in this DVD release other than by giving his approval for the 5.1 mix that has been made by someone he trusts. IMHO this is basically a record company project to cash in on Dire Straits back catalogue. For me Mark is still concentrating on the future with maybe the possible exception of some 2008 live recordings seeing the light.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #246 on: August 04, 2009, 03:17:12 PM »
Let's face it Mark will certainly earn money from this release, and the fact that a 5.1 mix is created by Chuck tells me that Mark had something to say about this release.

The so-called CLAPS where Chuck in the interview is talking about has come from Mark himself.

I certainly think that this is not only something of the record company.

Sure Mark is looking for the future, but this is a great opportunity for him to play himself in the picture for his forthcoming concerts.

I think Pottel can tell us exactly why it took 9 years for Pink Floyd to release Pulse on DVD?
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #247 on: August 04, 2009, 03:32:38 PM »
coz dave and the others are perfectionists who only want to release the best, see the gdansk video box set, or the wall live cd...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #248 on: August 04, 2009, 04:49:54 PM »
Let's face it Mark will certainly earn money from this release, and the fact that a 5.1 mix is created by Chuck tells me that Mark had something to say about this release.

It is totally from Mark. Now the record majors do not decide more. Universal and Warner are just disributers, nothing else. Mark learned a lot from Chet Atkins, he was not only star, but chief of RCA and he  managed all process - from record sessions to post production. Mark now has the same, own studio with personell (Brithis Groove), own lable (Will D. Side Ltd.) own band, own sound engineers and co-producers (Chuck Ainlay and Guy Fletcher). He does not depend on majors more.

But on other hand the studio has the expenses and Mark as owner (and business man)  has to care about costs and profit. And as I understand, Real Live Roadrunning did not have a good sales and Mark had losses. Alchemy is expected to be a good commercial project.    

Offlinetobi777

• Local Hero
« Reply #249 on: August 04, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
IMHO Mark isn't that much involved into the Alchemy re-release as we all would like him to be. I'm sure he didn't go: "Let's have a 20th anniversary BIA re-release!", either. I guess Mark couldn't care less about the old stuff, he's clearly focussing now on his new songs and style.

The record company owns the rights of the DS recordings and can do whatever they want. They surely didn't think: "The poor fans have been waiting for too long - so let's give them a nice gift!" It's all about money.

Compared to the old DS days "A Night in London" was quite unspectacular - even so it got released on VHS and DVD (okay, the people of Universal showed their sense of humor by omitting SOS and MFN  ::) - it's rather logical to expect a lot from the Alchemy DVD concerning sales figures. Mark may be a living legend and contributed much to the wealth of his record company but nowadays his albums sell comparatively poorly.

I'm very happy about the news but I don't expect some sweets for us fans because I think Universal doesn't care much about us. I'm just looking forward to watching this great concert (the first time in my live have to admit  :-[

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #250 on: August 05, 2009, 12:49:34 AM »

I think Pottel can tell us exactly why it took 9 years for Pink Floyd to release Pulse on DVD?

Pulse was to PF what was OTN to DS : a live release of thei last tour

But how many years will we have to wait for a release "Delicate Sound Of Thunder" ?   :P

And will Supertramp finally release the Paris footage on DVD?

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
Get Lucky could have appeared on the K2GC tour
« Reply #251 on: August 06, 2009, 10:36:02 AM »
From Guy's forum about the song Get Lucky:

GF: In fact a little story about it, we rehearsed it in production rehearsals for the last tour and it was recorded by Dave Dixon on the front desk. We never got to play it on the tour but when we went back into the studio to record, I dug out the recording. It was so perfect that we basically recreated it with one live take.

How about that?!!? We could have had both Get Lucky and The Man's Too Strong on the K2GC tour. Since they've allready rehearsed both songs, there is a posibillity that they will appear during the next tour, I guess.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #252 on: August 06, 2009, 01:01:56 PM »
I asked GF if there was a chance that they might do a BBC session (http://www.bbc.co.uk/musictv/bbcfoursessions/ ) as part of the forthcoming promo, and he didn't answer! He didn't say no, so I hope they do it.

For those who aren't aware, these are concerts filmed specially for the BBC, in HD no less! They are always excellent quality, here's Gillian Welch for example

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Rollergirl

« Reply #253 on: August 08, 2009, 11:19:49 AM »
did you see that?

"There is talk about the KTGC recordings seeing the light of day."

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #254 on: August 08, 2009, 11:28:16 AM »
did you see that?

"There is talk about the KTGC recordings seeing the light of day."

Woooww!!!

I hope it will happen! That would be so nice!!  ;D
Proud member of the AMIT crew

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 37 queries.