Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 606780 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #375 on: February 15, 2012, 12:57:08 PM »
Honestly, I'd rather see him play along with bob, without his band. And then a full tour next year.

You're kidding me!  I couldn't care less if he ever played with BD again.  This just delays and delays his album and we all know how lazy he is without other distractions.  I just want this album done and dusted before he forgets he ever wrote it.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #376 on: February 15, 2012, 01:52:34 PM »
After the way Bob ignored Guy and the rest of the band last time, maybe they would prefer MK to do it without them!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Rollergirl

« Reply #377 on: February 15, 2012, 02:00:57 PM »
I don't think they would turn down work just because the other act on the bill didn't say hello to them last time.
My guess is that they couldn't care less who said hi to whom. (who, whom? which is correct, I never know).

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #378 on: February 15, 2012, 02:50:56 PM »
You're kidding me!  I couldn't care less if he ever played with BD again.  This just delays and delays his album and we all know how lazy he is without other distractions.  I just want this album done and dusted before he forgets he ever wrote it.

This is great! Maybe he can shelve this album, and in a decade or so release it as the great lost album! He hasn't give  us any such curios, so why not do it now!
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #379 on: February 15, 2012, 03:36:59 PM »
I don't think they would turn down work just because the other act on the bill didn't say hello to them last time.
My guess is that they couldn't care less who said hi to whom. (who, whom? which is correct, I never know).

Oh, I wasn't implying that they would turn it down, not at all!  Rather that they might not be too disappointed, if MK went alone and played with Bob's band on this occasion.     :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 04:03:40 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #380 on: February 21, 2012, 01:18:43 PM »
I notice someone asked GF about playing alongside Brian May and Guy said he rather liked it....

Whilst a completely different player to our Mark, one thing Brian has in common is a distinct taste for chordal based melody rather than running up and down scales when soloing. Is anyone else on AMIT a Queen fan? All their 70s stuff is incredible, musically speaking - I have had to learn a few songs for covers and he complexity is amazing.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #381 on: February 21, 2012, 02:00:46 PM »
Not especially a fan of Queen but Brian May was in the year below me at school. My aunt, now long dead I'm afraid to say, knew his mother, as I recall.

The same school also had (a few years ahead of me but in the same house) Paul Samwell-Smith of the Yardbirds (later a record producer) and Murray Head (who appeared in the film "Sunday Bloody Sunday", the musical "Chess" and had a hit with "One Night In Bangkok")
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:25:51 PM by twm »

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #382 on: February 21, 2012, 02:06:04 PM »
Well I wouldn't miss any school reunions.... Great stuff! :)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Rollergirl

« Reply #383 on: February 21, 2012, 02:12:20 PM »
Yeah, I quite like Queen's early stuff and some of the later one, not so much We are the Champions and that kind of things.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #384 on: February 21, 2012, 02:59:01 PM »
When i was there, the school was a state school but it has now gone private. For many years, I lived quite a long way away but I did go back once to look around and to show it to my wife.  I also registered with the Old Boys association but have never attended any of their functions. Brian May is now a governor at the school and assisted with the establishment of a performing arts centre or something similar.

Jim McCarty of The Yardbirds (he may still play with them) was also at the school but I don't recall him.

There was another guy there, though, called Paul Stewart (I think that was his name) who fronted a group called The Others. They got a deal with Fontana and issued a single (Fontana TF501, "Oh Yeah" b/w "I'm Taking Her Home") that Jimmy Saville used to play on the radio. It was run of the mill beat/r'n'b, quite good of its type but I was more of a jazz/blues purist back then. Nevertheless, I'd have had my money on them to get somewhere but I understand that Paul Stewart decided not to pursue it any further, after that first single. "Oh Yeah" is on this double vinyl album, which I do have:

http://www.amazon.com/Beat-Merchants-British-Groups-1963-1964/dp/B004HJP4Y2

... but the best thing about it is the cover art, which shows two paintings (by Tony Wright) of Potters Music Shop in Richmond, Surrey

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #385 on: February 21, 2012, 03:03:02 PM »
Just found this:

http://www.45cat.com/record/tf501

"Oh Yeah", as you can see, was the Bo Diddley song, but one of the co-writers of the B-side was "P.Stewart", the guy I mentioned.

I left that school in the summer and this single wasn't released until September, by which time I lived in a different part of London. That's probably why it's all so vague. I do have a memory of going to some jazz venue (probably The Palm Court Hotel in Richmond to see the Dick Morrissey Quartet) and travelling back by bus with someone, who pointed out a 1930s-style block of flats somewhere between Richmond and Twickenham and said that Paul Stewart was renting a flat there. Since I was living in digs in North London, this seemed rather glamorous.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:09:07 PM by twm »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #386 on: February 21, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »
love those stories twm, pls do keep them coming!!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #387 on: February 21, 2012, 05:50:32 PM »
Musician Malcolm Middleton went to the same school as me, albeit three years ahead!  Of course you all know who he is but just in case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Middleton

Also Adam Crozier, chief executive of ITV!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #388 on: February 21, 2012, 06:27:11 PM »
Musician Malcolm Middleton went to the same school as me, albeit three years ahead!  Of course you all know who he is but just in case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Middleton

Also Adam Crozier, chief executive of ITV!
oh my lord, the world famous Malcolm M.... ::)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #389 on: February 21, 2012, 07:14:10 PM »
Yes, I remember Adam Crozier. He closed a large number of post offices, removed the second postal delivery of the day, moved the one remaining postal delivery to much later in the day (causing lots of small businesses problems) and made large numbers of Royal Mail staff redundant, whilst being paid a huge salary himself.

The other guy, I don't know.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 41 queries.