Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 606681 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #390 on: February 21, 2012, 07:29:22 PM »
Yes, I remember Adam Crozier. He closed a large number of post offices, removed the second postal delivery of the day, moved the one remaining postal delivery to much later in the day (causing lots of small businesses problems) and made large numbers of Royal Mail staff redundant, whilst being paid a huge salary himself.

The other guy, I don't know.

:-[ :-[
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #391 on: February 21, 2012, 07:39:18 PM »
Yes, I remember Adam Crozier. He closed a large number of post offices, removed the second postal delivery of the day, moved the one remaining postal delivery to much later in the day (causing lots of small businesses problems) and made large numbers of Royal Mail staff redundant, whilst being paid a huge salary himself.

I'm quite sure one man isn't responsible for such a decision; it was probably a clerical error!

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #392 on: February 22, 2012, 02:08:49 AM »
Of course, you're right in saying that one man alone could not be responsible but he was the top guy:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/majornews/1567988/Royal-Mail-rewarding-Adam-Croziers-failure.html

Note all the stuff about foregoing bonuses, about hypocrisy in salary and pay policies, about not rewarding failure and about inappropriate timing. This could be today but was, in fact, in 2007, under the previous government, who did not address these issues then. Now in opposition, they decry these self-same things. I do not wish to introduce party politics into this - what I am trying to say is that, when politicians accuse others of double standards, they are often being hypocritical themselves. Unfortunately, they and their electorates have short memories.

Crozier, prior to being at Royal Mail, headed up the Football Association. Unlike some, I can accept a Scot being in charge at the (English) FA, though I doubt it would happen in reverse. He achieved some significant changes at the FA but he was the  man in charge when the Swede, Sven-G
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:19:12 AM by twm »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #393 on: February 22, 2012, 09:18:50 AM »

Crozier, prior to being at Royal Mail, headed up the Football Association. Unlike some, I can accept a Scot being in charge at the (English) FA, though I doubt it would happen in reverse. He acheived some significant changes at the FA but he was the  man in charge when the Swede, Sven-G
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #394 on: February 22, 2012, 10:38:43 AM »
If the Scottish people vote for independence, then, as an independent country, Scotland will have no representation in the Houses of Parliament. That much is clear but much else is unclear. What will happen to the Scottish peers in the House of Lords, for example? The impact on the composition of the House of Commons will be huge; there will be many fewer Labour MPs and many fewer Lib Dem MPs, if past voting patterns are anything to go by. That has implications for those of us south of the border.

I follow politics a bit but I am not a party political animal - fiscally to the right of centre and socially to the left of centre. I am highly suspicious of all politicians. Sometimes they lie outright; sometimes they lie by not revealing the whole truth; and sometimes they lie by mixing what is true with elements that are not true or, at best, are misleading. Let me give one example (and forgive me if I have said this before) but it is a myth that the NHS was the brainchild of the Labour Party.  The origins and founding of the NHS are much more complex than that simple notion but the simplistic version is peddled even to this day.

Incidentally and getting back to the original question, the phrase "National Health Service" only applies to the NHS in England. There is and always has been a separate NHS Scotland and, from the outset, this was the responsibilty of the Secretary of State for Scotand, not the Health Minister. There are separate arrangements in Wales and Northern Ireland. I could argue that there has never, ever, been a true national NHS in the United Kingdom!

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:51:15 AM by twm »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #395 on: February 22, 2012, 10:45:04 AM »
i think THE person to talk now would be our very own Dustyval, where are you son??
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #396 on: February 22, 2012, 10:51:42 AM »
i think THE person to talk now would be our very own Dustyval, where are you son??

He is the very person I was referring to!     ;)

twm, Thanks!    I expect all of the Scots at present in the English Parliament would have to be re-elected into Scottish constituencies and then bye-elections would take place for the vacancies in the English constituencies.  Is that so?
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #397 on: February 22, 2012, 10:56:35 AM »
i think twm and val should meet :-)
coffee or something..

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #398 on: February 22, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »
No, it is not as clear as that, I'm afraid. I think what would happen is that the MPs in the Commons who represent Scottish constituencies would be out of work, irrespective of where they were born. Most were born in Scotland but that is not the point. On the hand, Scottish-born MPs currently in the Commons but representing English constituencies would continue to represent those same constituencies in the Commons. Place of birth is not the deciding factor here. We have had, for example, German-born MPs in the Commons. But what will happen in the future?

Sitting MPs, particularly long-standing ones who have been "good" local MPs in English constituencies, may well continue to be re-elected by their constituents; Scottish independence would not much change that.

For the future, Scots-born aspirant polticians would have to decide whether or not to try to become an MSP in Holyrood or an MP in the House of Commons. If the latter, they would be in the same position as all other prospective MPs. They would have to be selected as candidates by their local party members and, come the next election in that constituency, be elected (or not) by the local voters.  The unknown factor is whether English voters will wish to be represented by a Scot in the Commons? On the whole, English local political party members and voters in English constituencies have been more open to electing someone who is not English to represent them than has been true in Scotland.

By the way, that is not a sleight on the Scots (I have lived and worked there for many years in the past, have family though marriage in Scotland, all my children were born there and have many Scots friends) but a statement of fact, based on the past record. I am aware that part of the reason for this is that, by and large, English politicians would not consider a career in Scottish politics, whereas the opposite is clearly not so.

I lived in Scotland in the late 1970s when there was a referendum on Scottish devolution and, though English-born, got a vote. There was a a slight majority in favour of devolution but the turnout was less than two-thirds of the electorate. One of the rules was that at least 40% of the whole electorate had to vote for devolution. As I recall, this rule was introduced as the result of an amendment to the devolution legislation tabled by a Scots-born MP representing a North London constituency (Edmonton?). Anyway, the vote and the turnout meant that only one-third of the electorate had supported devolution and thus it failed at that time. As it happens, my view is that a simple majority (50% + 1) should not be sufficient for any such constitutional change. I would apply this not only to a referendum in Scotland but also to any referendum on, for example, change within the EU. These are issues that are so important that a substantial majority should be required.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #399 on: February 22, 2012, 11:58:33 AM »
Thanks twm!   I didn't really think it would be as simple as I expected!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #400 on: February 22, 2012, 12:18:59 PM »
I'm Scottish too remember and well old enogh to vote!

btw twm we do have an Englishman in charge of the SFA at the moment, a Stewart Regan who used to be cheif executive of Yorkshire County Cricket Club!  Says a lot for our game!

Scotland cannot become independant at this time and I believe Alex Salmond knows this himself which is why this devo max option has come about.  Most of the major industry has shut down and moved to England and all that's left here now is whisky and oil.  Most of the North Sea oil now has to drilled using new techniques too involving deep drilling which isn't ideal.  Also, the current economic climate would make it a poorly chosen moment if ever there was one to leave the UK.

Polls show that most Scots don't want independance but interestingly, more English than Scots do!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #401 on: February 22, 2012, 12:30:50 PM »
Hi dmg!   Sorry, I didn't intend to hurt your feelings - I thought of Dusty, because I believe he is connected to The Scottish Parliament.   Anyway, I tend to agree with what you have said about independence.   :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:37:43 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #402 on: February 22, 2012, 03:49:06 PM »
I tried to post a "REPLY" earlier but it disappeared.

Thanks for the info about Stewart Regan.

It depends what you mean by "major" industry, I suppose. The changes you describe were ever thus. I can give examples based on my jobs in Scotland 20, 30 and even 40 years ago.  These may have been accelerated and brought into sharper focus by the economic woes currently besetting the western world but such changes have been there a long time, in England as well as Scotland. Wales, too.

From my perspective, the answer to the question of independence should not be based on the economic climate. Either the people of Scotland wish for independence or they do not. The SNP has sought to gain independence for decades, in good times and in bad, economically speaking. It should have the courage of its convictions. If it does not believe that the Scottish people can be trusted to decide, it is not fit to govern. The stuff about extending the referendum vote to include those age 16 and 17 and about Devo Max is a distraction. It should not depend on things like that. I know that some believe timing is everything but a decision made because the omens are propitious at a particular point in time is not necessarily a decision made in the longer-term interests of the nation. They need to feel it in their hearts and souls. Similar to wedding vows but, in a sense, the very opposite, being a separation, it should be for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health and forever.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #403 on: February 22, 2012, 10:02:11 PM »
still no dustyval..... ???

Love Expresso

« Reply #404 on: February 22, 2012, 10:24:19 PM »
He mentioned some internet connection problems recently, didn't he?

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 37 queries.