Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 606618 times)

Offlinedannyjun

• Camerado
Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #600 on: May 23, 2012, 11:29:14 AM »
Guy today: announcement on Monday. Official

hmmmm...it will be long weekend... :)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #601 on: May 23, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »
Guy today: announcement on Monday. Official

hmmmm...it will be long weekend... :)

I guess we
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
« Reply #602 on: May 23, 2012, 07:09:18 PM »
It was MotoGP I remember!

It was at the MotoGP 2003 in Donington Park, MK presented the trophy to Valentino Rossi. After he fell off his own bike in March and had to cancel his tour... :(

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:37:33 PM by marky49 »

Love Expresso

« Reply #603 on: May 28, 2012, 02:27:48 PM »
I know today is the day with the great news, first on Guy's page about the Privateering "double" album. But after reading some of his latest answers I feel the urge to open this thread again:

Being asked about what instruments he played he really answers: "OMG, I can't remember..."  What's this? Ignorance? Arrogance? Dementia???

Somehow I struggle with his kind of doing the forum for months now, it is a melange of lack of interest, arrogance, unwillingness of giving the people what they want. so what is the idea behind his forum? I post there on a regular base, too, but have given up expecting any concrete answer long ago. So maybe I should totally stop with spamming his forum...

What do you think? It was more fun reading his forum a few years back - he seems to have totally lost interest in doing it. He should stop it then.

LE

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #604 on: May 28, 2012, 04:44:41 PM »
I know today is the day with the great news, first on Guy's page about the Privateering "double" album. But after reading some of his latest answers I feel the urge to open this thread again:

Being asked about what instruments he played he really answers: "OMG, I can't remember..."  What's this? Ignorance? Arrogance? Dementia???

Somehow I struggle with his kind of doing the forum for months now, it is a melange of lack of interest, arrogance, unwillingness of giving the people what they want. so what is the idea behind his forum? I post there on a regular base, too, but have given up expecting any concrete answer long ago. So maybe I should totally stop with spamming his forum...

What do you think? It was more fun reading his forum a few years back - he seems to have totally lost interest in doing it. He should stop it then.

LE

Total agree, LE. You are completely right if it comes to the point that Guy shows absolutely zero interest in his forum/fans. Particularely those short answers from two or three words. I don't read it anymore, it became boring and sometimes, yes, lack of interest. I don't know why he's acting like this, but if you follow the forum on regular base you can clearly see that his interest is gone.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #605 on: May 28, 2012, 05:15:17 PM »
Yes, I've noticed too.  

Also I wish he would stop drip-feeding us snippets of information, then ending with "more on this later" which is very tantalising, because later is usually a very long way off.   I would rather he waited until he could tell us the whole story, eg the exciting project in Cordoba and now, today, a new project with Danny - coming later, of course!   ;)

In spite of these smallish gripes, though, we are very fortunate to have this link to Mark, through Guy and I really appreciate him being there for us.   :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 05:46:28 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #606 on: May 28, 2012, 06:01:56 PM »
Well, whatever Guy give us or not, is more than nothing.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #607 on: May 28, 2012, 06:09:24 PM »
absolutely, to my knowledge there is no comparable musician fan interaction. we can still consider ourselves grateful that he actually does interact with us, at all...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Love Expresso

« Reply #608 on: May 28, 2012, 07:21:57 PM »
Of course I know about that and that is not new to me, and all those years we really could call ourselves a very lucky bunch of fan people because of Guy's generosity etc..., but I was talking about how his attitude really changed over the last months. I have the feeling there shines through quite a little frustation sometimes about only being asked about MK stuff all the time, and he has turned into the role of a miffed adlatus... His own work is great, I have all his solo stuff of course, but the way he distributes it shows clearly some real big unprofessional attitude about it. Sometimes I really wonder...

LE

OfflineDIFFICULTTOBELIEVE

• Local Hero
« Reply #609 on: May 28, 2012, 08:30:05 PM »
Why does Guy have a website? Surely it must be that it is there for his benefit? Perhaps he is finding that the forum and the diaries are more time consuming than he bargained for and that the returns for him are not as great as he expected. His replies to posts, even the good ones, give the impression that he does not have the time or the inclination to go into any great detail with his answers. As the maestro says however, perhaps we should be grateful for anything he gives us. 

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #610 on: May 28, 2012, 10:05:39 PM »

It might be that Guy responded our questions better in the past, BUT I think he often isn
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlinejoanzimm

• Camerado
« Reply #611 on: May 28, 2012, 10:51:01 PM »
Of course I know about that and that is not new to me, and all those years we really could call ourselves a very lucky bunch of fan people because of Guy's generosity etc..., but I was talking about how his attitude really changed over the last months. I have the feeling there shines through quite a little frustation sometimes about only being asked about MK stuff all the time, and he has turned into the role of a miffed adlatus... His own work is great, I have all his solo stuff of course, but the way he distributes it shows clearly some real big unprofessional attitude about it. Sometimes I really wonder...

LE

I've been following Guy's forum for quite some time -- years -- and I haven't noticed a change.  Sometimes his answers are lengthy, other times short & curt, even obnoxious.  It probably depends on his mood and how much time he has -- who knows?! ???

I mostly skim the questions and answers looking for the 'good stuff' --- which is often scarce. :-\
It's hard sometimes but pretty much it's alright

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #612 on: May 29, 2012, 12:56:20 AM »
It's great to have someone so close to MK to "talk" with. But here lies the main fact : he's not MK and has no frredom of speech.

Many times I have canceled my question because it was too much MK related and Guy could not have answered the proper way. I was using Guy as a substitute to directly asking Mark and that does not work.
Mieux vaux s'adresser directement
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #613 on: May 29, 2012, 07:05:16 AM »
His own work is great, I have all his solo stuff of course, but the way he distributes it shows clearly some real big unprofessional attitude about it. Sometimes I really wonder...

LE

LE, maybe I got your sentence wrong, but I think that when a man has the money, he can spend time to do his art with no need to link it with the usual time consuming and full of conditions contracts and deals. That does not render him unprofessional. He is contend with the sales, he has the exposure, and he is doing what he likes with his own pace, which is very good and I find this behavior very artistic (yes this is the thing we are buying, not professionalism) 
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Love Expresso

« Reply #614 on: May 29, 2012, 10:40:35 AM »
MK is a good example for the thesis that professionalism AND creativity AND artistic authenticity are things that do not foreclose each other...

In my opinion it is pretty clear (and it not meant in a cynical way) that at the latest with Inamorata Guy had shown that he was planing his time AFTER MK, so it might come a time in his life when MK is not making music anymore - and that he had learned that he has made himself too dependent on MK. So he had to build up the first (impressive!) steps for an own career. And sorry, but sending each single CD on his own, putting it into an envelope on his own and signing each one on his own has a certain charm, but is not.... professional in a way. There are other ways obviously to distribute CDs, and even without a big company he could sell much more if he was better organized. I don't believe that he doesn't want to sell a big amount of CDs just because of his artistic integrity.

I don't see any offence against Guy in thoughts like these, if someone feels that it has, sorry for that in advance.

And maybe touring with Mark has made him THAT rich over the years that he is really just in search of... a hobby!!  ;)

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 41 queries.