Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 605734 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #690 on: September 20, 2012, 03:41:48 PM »
update time!!!
http://www.guyfletcher.co.uk/index.php/2012dylan/Rehearsals_September_2012
Rehearsals - September 2012

Here is one of life's little mysteries - So much has happened in the last ten months, in London, let alone the world. With the Queen's rain-soaked diamond Jubilee celebrations, the heady euphoria of a month of Olympic and Paralympic games; closer to home, the Privateering sessions, the amazing Vicente Amigo sessions, BluesClub gigs and various other events....why does it seem like only yesterday that we were here?

We write, record, produce, mix, engineer, arrange, perform....and tour! There's a certain irony in Mark's album cover art as I often think back to my 'apprenticeship' and the mid 1970's, driving up and down the M1 in the back of a beaten up Bedford CA panel van with a three speed gearbox, (maybe one was broken) no tax, insurance or MOT and a part of me misses the sheer excitement and camaraderie of covering ridiculous mileages to some dodgy club in the North West and playing our set to sometimes as many as 4 people. The camaraderie is in actual fact still there, as strong as ever and the allure of touring hasn't diminished in the slightest. A large part of what makes something so enjoyable is the people with whom you work and over the years a team of professionals (and friends) has evolved and emerged which make the whole experience something special. Knowing of course there are people willing to fork out hard earned cash and come to a show is heartening and having such a well known catalog and a continuous stream of new songs from our imperious leader which shows no sign of slowing is the source of most of the energy and enthusiasm. So to another tour of North America....

The familiar rumble that is London post-Olympic traffic can be heard through the very same windows that fifty weeks ago failed to silence the howling gale that greeted us to our London hotel way back then. The weather this month in the UK is doing its level best to make up for an appalling Summer of rain, wind and chill. It really does seem like only a few weeks ago we were assembled for rehearsals for our intrepid outing with the 'poet laureate of rock 'n' roll. The voice of the promise of the 60s counterculture. The guy who forced folk into bed with rock. Who donned makeup in the 70s and disappeared into a haze of substance abuse. Who emerged to find Jesus.......etc...etc... Mr. Bob Dylan!'

Since our last show at the prestigious Hammersmith Odeon back in 2011, Bob has hardly stopped gigging and recording having toured South America and parts of the US pausing only to record his new album 'Tempest', which I listen to as I write this. Now a year on, we look forward to re-acquainting ourselves with Bob's band and crew who were so accommodating last year. We had many great times backstage, before the shows not least our jam sessions with fiddles, banjos, whistles and accordions. The European tour was obviously a success and I would even venture to say that Bob enjoyed having us around even though I could never say for sure since we never got to meet. Since our last show of course
We are now in our second full week of rehearsal, the set-lists are pretty much all decided and as usual we have many 'option' slots in the list where we will substitute one song for another etc. so expect a varying set each night. The only down side being the limited time we have on stage but we'll be as much music as we can into each performance. The new double album 'Privateering' is out worldwide with the ironic exception of the U.S. and as I've mentioned in the forum, I am unable to comment on the reasons for this. Needless to say, this is frustrating in the extreme. The reviews so far have been extremely positive and the fan reaction, nothing short of amazing. It seems it's a bit of a winner...well we like it too.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #691 on: September 20, 2012, 03:42:53 PM »
"since our last show of course"??huh??
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #692 on: September 20, 2012, 04:50:59 PM »
"so expect a varying set each night"!!!
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #693 on: September 20, 2012, 06:32:03 PM »
Yes, our favourite sentence there:  "We are now in our second full week of rehearsal, the set-lists are pretty much all decided and as usual we have many 'option' slots in the list where we will substitute one song for another etc. so expect a varying set each night."  We shall see... ;)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Love Expresso

« Reply #694 on: September 22, 2012, 08:00:50 AM »
...and a continuous stream of new songs from our imperious leader which shows no sign of slowing...

Hmmm... Not sure if this is perfect irony...

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #695 on: September 22, 2012, 08:30:25 AM »
By now, there is a lot of blablabla but no pictures of the rehearsals or anything about it...

This time we only have the pictures twittered by John... with the interesting fact that Richard Bennett is playing Pedal Steel Guitar.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #696 on: September 22, 2012, 09:06:36 AM »
We fly out oct 11 - I'm gonna make a solid pledge to avoid all info, setlists, reviews.... it's my first time, I'm gonna sit back enjoy, and not have any pre-judgements in my mind.
Goodbye AMIT & ER ! :)
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #697 on: September 23, 2012, 03:12:49 PM »
What do you think, which song has Richard in pedal steel? I have a feeling that it is redbud tree. No fast licks and I think that Mark wants perform that in States.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #698 on: September 23, 2012, 03:21:38 PM »
There is no way of know it... the Pedal Steel Guitar in any of the songs has a very secondary role, actually even I know where are Pedal Steel notes, its that, notes, or little things in the background that won

Love Expresso

« Reply #699 on: September 23, 2012, 03:33:03 PM »
I guess it is more a "taste" and "friendship" thing. MK knows Paul Franklin and his abilities for years now - and maybe just expects him to play something, to contribute something to the songs - not necessarily worked out in every little detail, just, "Come on, Paul, play what you want, because you are a musical genious anyway!" He might hear some pedal steel in his inner version of the song. I must say all these guys, Paul, Richard, Glen and now also Jim are really very close to the original 96ers from 1996... would be great to have Chad Cromwell back (instead of Jim), but that's another story!  ;D

LE

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #700 on: September 23, 2012, 03:34:41 PM »
I guess it is more a "taste" and "friendship" thing. MK knows Paul Franklin and his abilities for years now - and maybe just expects him to play something, to contribute something to the songs - not necessarily worked out in every little detail, just, "Come on, Paul, play what you want, because you are a musical genious anyway!" He might hear some pedal steel in his inner version of the song. I must say all these guys, Paul, Richard, Glen and now also Jim are really very close to the original 96ers from 1996... would be great to have Chad Cromwell back (instead of Jim), but that's another story!  ;D

LE

Chad instead of Jim would be very interesting indeed... ;)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #701 on: September 23, 2012, 03:40:30 PM »

LE

Chad instead of Jim would be very interesting indeed... ;)

I

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #702 on: September 23, 2012, 03:42:45 PM »

LE

But what I mean is that there is not any Pedal Steel Guitar part in any of the new songs that you can say... well, without Pedal Steel, I can

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #703 on: September 23, 2012, 04:16:32 PM »
There is no way of know it... the Pedal Steel Guitar in any of the songs has a very secondary role, actually even I know where are Pedal Steel notes, its that, notes, or little things in the background that won

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #704 on: September 23, 2012, 04:19:47 PM »
[quote author=jbaent link=topic=207.msg56769#msg56769 date=1348406498
I wonder why MK hires the best Pedal Steel in the world, just to make him play some notes or some background sounds... I like them but its not what I expect from the best player of that kind...
[/quote]

MK's perfectionism at work. He's worked with less than the best musicians in the past and chaffed under it. I think he wants to be with musicians that he respects and enjoys which for him mean the best in the business. These albums and tours are as much for him as for us, I think.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 39 queries.