Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 605695 times)

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #1290 on: June 11, 2015, 02:40:38 PM »
Hopefully common sense will prevail. I have been in both camps, love Tracker but didn't enjoy the live show especially set list choice. If I was only allowed to come here and discuss with fellow fans my love of Tracker and nothing else whats the point. DMG also summed up why I can be very critical of MK and its because I think he is a musical genius. So don't let the negativity get you down. It's always onwards with MK, no looking back. I'm looking forward to the forthcoming soundtrack album.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #1291 on: June 11, 2015, 02:51:06 PM »
Freedom of speech is not perfect, it has serious downsides. Sometimes the world would be better if someone did not say something insulting or uselessly provocative.
Theses downsides, however, are nothing compared to the opposite downside: censorship.
I have lived six years in Singapore, a country that has improved now, but 15 years back the censorship was very heavy and just turn people into robots.
Censorship is a terrible thing, mainly because when you censor you need to place a cursor between what is acceptable and what is not, which is highly subjective and a very slippery rope - you start censoring a racist joke, and you end up censoring political opinions.

Total freedom of speech !! rules and laws are here to punish actions, not words !!

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #1292 on: June 11, 2015, 03:47:34 PM »
I agree with Ingrid and surfer boy.  I also agree with everyone's right to post opinions, whether they love or hate a setlist or whatever.   What we have seen lately, though, is a series of increasingly harsh, sarcastic, and mean posts. Most are directed toward MK's setlist.  Some are directed toward Guy, who puts in so much time for the sake of fans, and some are directed toward other members. 
Honest and even strong disagreement here is allowed.   But there has been a string of posts that seek to rile up others.  Those posts directly go against our rules.  Shangri-La posted them here to remind us that flaming and inciting posts will not be tolerated.     I feel that some posts have reached this point.   Free speech--yes.   But the limit is reached with personal and inflammatory insults. 
Now we have members reporting each other to the editors.  "This guy insulted me."     Often the person reporting has been insulting others, and when other members come back at him, even mildly, their posts get reported.   This has happened several times in the last few weeks.     If you're going to fling mud, you're going to get some back in your own face.   If you dish it out, you have to take it too.   
But, my point is:   Please stop the meanness.  Criticism is valid and accepted.  But personal wars have started to develop in this thread and in others.  When some of the warriors are asked to tone it down, they get even more sarcastic and inflammatory.    Several people have tried in a nice and decent way to tone these threads down, and they get flamed for it. 
No, we don't want censorship, but we do not want abuse either.   I am saying this:  These threads are going to be actively moderated.  In the past, members whose posts have been removed have been courteously told why.  In return, the editors have been flamed and personally attacked.
Go over the line, and posts will be removed.   If you are taking this personally, perhaps you should.   If you want to react with flaming, try it, and your post will be deleted. 
It takes a lot, an unbelievably lot, to get a member banned.  But it has happened.  The last thing the editors want is to ban members.  But it can happen when a member continually makes others unhappy because of hateful posts.  The abusive member will be warned--once.  Then he/she will be banned. 
Now I know I'm going to get a lot of reaction from a few members.   Just try to look in the mirror before you get too angry at what I'm saying here.   
I am appealing to reasonableness and basic courtesy here.  We can all be that way, can't we?   

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 02:17:18 AM by IrisRose »
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #1293 on: June 11, 2015, 03:52:31 PM »
Can't disagree with a single thing Irisrose, excellent post.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #1294 on: June 11, 2015, 03:56:03 PM »
Written down well Irisrose, it takes a native english person to write it down in all nuances.
 :thumbsup

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #1295 on: June 11, 2015, 04:06:30 PM »
Thanks Irisrose. I am 100% with you on this. I hope all editors will support your post.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #1296 on: June 11, 2015, 04:10:21 PM »
@Henk: this is just an open forum, open to negative comments as well as positive ones (we prefer positive, but are realists) we do not want to go back to the mknews forum days, where every little bit of not kissing MK ass was deleted or could get  you banned.
again, as long as no one is being insulted by name (or insinuation) then it is ok for me, on this forum.

Dear Pottel,
what you write makes me sad.
Frankly I wish back more and more the days of the mknews forum.
What has happened to this formerly wonderful forum AMIT is not only very sad, it has offended and hurt many fans and, as the temporary closure of GF's forum shows, the MK camp, too.

No one denies the right to a critical or negative opinion, no one!
It is the rude and insulting choice of words to state that negative opinion about the Tracker album and now the Tour over and over again.
This shows a deep disrespect for and disbehaviour towards the artist and his work.
If you go into a museum and look at a painting and the painting is not after your taste, you walk on to another painting and you do not stand in front of it and start insulting and offending without ever stopping and thus spoiling it for those who would like to enjoy looking at it.

This has caused great damage!
My point is: It's not about "kissing MK's ass" as you write it. It is the other way round: The problem is kissing the ass (I only use your own harsh words) of those eternal moaners instead of putting a stop to it!
Today I get the impression here, that those who stood up the last two days against the rude behaviour are the ones who get blamed. And the eternal moaners can go on to post negative after negative after negative...
How sad and perverse things have become here.

Edit: I forgot that the permanent negativity here has among others led to people leaving this forum who have made so precious contributions, e.g. recon!
i agree with "kissing ass" (did not find anything that exactly described what i felt) and with the we are (may be) losing members.
i stick to the rest.
each their opinion. unless it involves personal attacks.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #1297 on: June 11, 2015, 04:12:53 PM »
"Wait a minute there sunshine!"

No one has ever called me sunshine. 8)
I feel flattered. ::)
Fancy a drink?
look at all the positivism here, love it!
free beers for everyone! (if we were ever to be in one room together...)
another show tonight folks, another amazing performance, no matter which songs. let's pls continue.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #1298 on: June 11, 2015, 04:20:10 PM »
"Wait a minute there sunshine!"

No one has ever called me sunshine. 8)
I feel flattered. ::)
Fancy a drink?
look at all the positivism here, love it!
free beers for everyone! (if we were ever to be in one room together...)
another show tonight folks, another amazing performance, no matter which songs. let's pls continue.

Day off today Pottel  :P  :smack
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #1299 on: June 11, 2015, 04:30:30 PM »
Can't disagree with a single thing Irisrose, excellent post.

: :thumbsup :thumbsup :wave

ps: Without being disrespectful or mean to anyone who attended The first Zenith Paris MK's Gig, that is partly why after Ruth Moody's first part and before MK came in, I decided not to come and meet you although I saw where the group of Amiters was !! Better like this!! I'm new here so I prefered to stay on my own!!!
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #1300 on: June 11, 2015, 04:54:53 PM »
That's a pity Marijo, would have been fun to meet you as well!

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #1301 on: June 11, 2015, 05:08:22 PM »

Maybe next time Ingrid!!! Thanks a lot!! I was already very stressed to be alone in Paris at night for the first time in my life and then at the end of MK's Gig I was in a hurry to take my taxi back home because I had to go to work on wednesday morning!! He was already waiting for me and rang me just when I got out the building!! MK was late!!!!!! Naughty boy!!! lol.... :wave :thumbsup
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #1302 on: June 11, 2015, 05:38:52 PM »

Maybe next time Ingrid!!! Thanks a lot!! I was already very stressed to be alone in Paris at night for the first time in my life and then at the end of MK's Gig I was in a hurry to take my taxi back home because I had to go to work on wednesday morning!! He was already waiting for me and rang me just when I got out the building!! MK was late!!!!!! Naughty boy!!! lol.... :wave :thumbsup
I met a few people here and they've all been very nice, don't let the bickering put you off.

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #1303 on: June 11, 2015, 06:07:42 PM »

I met a few people here and they've all been very nice, don't let the bickering put you off.

Yes thanks Banjo99uk I'll keep that in mind next time I'll have the money to attend another concert!!! And this time I really hope I can make RAH, London Town!! :wave

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #1304 on: June 11, 2015, 06:39:58 PM »
Marijo,
The group of AMITers whom you saw are all positive and friendly people--at least the ones I was with.   I was in Paris for the first time also.     You would have been so very welcome to join the group.     Zenith got a little wild that first night!   
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 35 queries.