Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Reflexion on the dark side of the force, the darker side and set lists.  (Read 17002 times)

Rollergirl

During recent tours, I have stayed away from the internet before "my" show, in order not to know the set list.

In 2005 it was easy as I had a baby to look after, in 2006 very easy because I went to the 2nd show, in 2008, a bit more complicated because there was 4 weeks between the begining and my show.

This year there was 6 or 8 weeks, can't remember. I didn't want to stay away from this forum and Guy's diary and forum for so long so I reluctantly joined the other side of the force.

And I LOVED it. Not knowing the set list is great for the first song, but generally, I have much more enjoyed the show this time because I was not wondering which song would come next. I knew. So instead of thinking about the next song, I was enjoying the one they were playing.

I don't think I will be back on the dark side next time...

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Personally I'm able to enjoy the song without worrying about the next one, each to their own.

It was a great feeling realising that, say, Coyote or Prairie Wedding was being played, much better than reading about it on here.

YMMV. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Rollergirl

That's great if you can do it. Don't change anything then! But I've seen the light and don't want to go back to the dark side!

YMMV to you too!

Offlinejimbobaby

• Local Hero
Let's be honest folks, its not that difficult to predict what's coming next.......... 8)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Both options have the good part, but it depends on the setlist itself...

I went to the first concert last tour and I was amazed not knowing anything as the setlist was full of surprises, but in the current tour if I do the same it would had been a dissapoinment, as the set list is pretty much the same than the previous tour, only with less songs and no surpirses at all, if you don
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Not really much more surprises last time, Border Reiver, Coyote, Prairie Wedding and Piper were "surprises" for me this time round.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing

YMMV. :)

YMMV? I know I'm getting on.....but what is that?

Your mileage may vary.

Won't be an issue for you now you have a bus pass. ;)

Happy birthday old boy. :)

Rollergirl

Please, don't turn this into a discussion how the set lits is predictable blah blah blah. Everybody I have spoken with who are "regular" people, not sad cases like us thought it was PERFECT (ok, I have only spoken to 5 people  but, still). It had the right mix of old and new stuff, fast and slower songs and it FLOWED.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 09:13:13 AM by Rollergirl »

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
I listened to the show in Eugene a few hours before I left for my gig in Oakland, so I pretty much knew what songs were played.  Nevertheless, I didn't feel one bit spoiled.  The moment was too magical to contemplate anything could ruin it. 

That being said, when "piper" was played in Oakland, I was saddened to tears.  Becase I knew that was the closing song of the night.  The loud cheers from the fans wouldn't bring MK and the band out for another encore.  If I hadn't known that "piper" was the last song, I wouldn't have felt so bummed out that night.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
Please, don't turn this into a discussion how the set lits is predictable blah blah blah. Everybody I have spoken with who are "regular" people, not sad cases like us thought it was PERFECT (ok, I have only spoken to 5 people  but, still). It had the right mix of old and new stuff, fast and slower songs and it FLOWED.

The setlist is not predictible at all, it

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
Nah,life too short,whats the point in waiting ??? ??? you could get hit by a bus before you get to the gig & you'd never know the setlist ::) ::)

I'll bet you dusty didnt wait till he got to the wedding night :P :P :P :disbelief :disbelief :disbelief
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
I'll bet you dusty didnt wait till he got to the wedding night :P :P :P :disbelief :disbelief :disbelief

Sensible to have a test drive before buying, but I know I'll always be happy with whatever MK comes up with. ;)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
Its like when you listen to a record you already listened many times, but you enjoy it in a special way.

I was very touched with the What it is instrumental interlude and with the Romeo intro (that I listened many times now) but the magic did his trick, it was incredible, close to tears...

Offlinepjh3121

• Local Hero

The setlist is not predictible at all, it

Offlinejimbobaby

• Local Hero

Listening back over and over again to the Simfy RAH recording (that I was at), Hill Farmer Blues and Marbletown are definitely the two highlights. But, like you, I still felt that it was largely 2008 all over again by the time i'd left. Especially with SOS following R and J and WII going into STP again and then SAN into TR then BIA at the end. Again. Yawn.

I can't help wondering if the band don't get bored playing pretty much the same songs in the same order night after night, tour after tour.
[/quote]

Quite.  The dates were really difficult for me this year with other commitments but if I'd really bust my buns I could have just about got to Brighton or Bourtnemouth but I waited to get an idea of the setlist before making my mind up.  When I say it was virtually the 08 tour again with a couple of new songs and the same old riunning order as per the last decade I decided not to make the effort,  I'm thouroughly enjoying the Simfy recordings and have just a tinge of envy reading all the reviews, but I have to say on balance I'm glad I didn't go to the hassle and expense this time round.  Grabs coat and sneaks out the back door..........

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 41 queries.