Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Reflexion on the dark side of the force, the darker side and set lists.  (Read 16897 times)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Different opening, different closing, no song from KTGC album , no song from SL album, no WOL alike song.

Of course Mark does not make huge change form one tour to another since 2001 but if you look at the RAH setlist there is a bunch of new things.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
How to please everybody ?
People complain that we get pretty much the same songs, but I'm sure the complaints would be even stronger if we DIDN'T get some of the real gems in this setlist.
Mark HAS to do Sultans - it is always a turning point where people start dancing and a key sucess factor for the concert. The crowd would not accept NOT to hear it.
The same is true of TR and BIA - such iconics songs of the golden era. I personnaly would be very disppointed NOT to have TR. I was 2 meters away from Mark in Paris when he played it, that was a unique experience. Like being part of Alchemy.
People would NOT understand not to have HFB and Marbletown, the 2 hightlights of 2008. They for sure would regret them.
Speedway is a iconic solo song, on par with the very best of DS, and a must-have live song. I promise that if Mark was to drop it, the noise of the complaints would be much higher.
WAM is fantastic live - I wish it would be part of the core set list.
This year additions are very nice and original: BR is a great opener, Piper a great closer, Coyote a fantastic addition from TRD, PW a good revival from STP, CMG, Monteleone and GL are very nice additions too.
The others songs are more disposable: RAJ was overplayed, SFA is not that iconic, WII and STP are great but do not really work live, DWB, DG and ANISLA are nice but not essential. The setlist could be a bit different, but all in all it is a very good one, a good compromise. Retains the best of 2008 (save for Postcards...) while introducing the new album and revisiting TRD.
Why do people complain so much ?

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
The band surely do get bored, but at least they are getting paid. Think about poor Isaac.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
The band surely do get bored, but at least they are getting paid. Think about poor Isaac.

Nobody force him to follow Mark and he is actualy paying for that. Still an interesting experience for him to share different cultures and see how the band evolve.

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't recall a blog entry in which Isaac is complaining about the setlist the way we do over here. In fact, he always tries to detect and write about new musical aspects in each show, some that probably wouldn't get noticed, and I think that's nice.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Guys, my post was tongue in cheeck, but on a serious point I don't know how he manages it.

Even if I had the time, money and didn't have family obligations I don't think I would be able to do what Isaac does. I would really enjoy the travelling and meeting lots of people but sitting through what is more or less the same concert every night for nearly four months would bore me to tears, and I consider myself a pretty big MK fan.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
I think that somebody that decide to attend a full tour is psychologicaly ready to face the "same setlist" question otherwise you don't do it.

Offlinejimbobaby

• Local Hero
I agree.  You don't go to an MK seriesd of gigs and expect big variations all the time.  I just wonder a) how I aac can afford it all and b) how did he manage to get so many front centere tickets?  I think we sbould be gtold!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
I agree.  You don't go to an MK seriesd of gigs and expect big variations all the time.  I just wonder a) how I aac can afford it all and b) how did he manage to get so many front centere tickets?  I think we sbould be gtold!

Oh sure, we all know MK's sets are mostly static and Issac of course knows that from the last tour.

As for the other questions, I guess it's not our business where Isaac gets his money or what he spends it on, but on the second point the tickets are allocated by mk.com and they obviously decided to issue Issac with the best seats in the house every night.

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
I think he's Ed Bicknell in disguise :o :o - he's some man for one man 8)

I like to travel myself but 4 months of the same gig every night?????? ::) ::) I think I would lose my love affair with MK's music if that happened (thats a gay thing to say :o :o) - its a bit like chocolate at easter,if you eat too much of it you could be turned off it for a long time or maybe life :o :o
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Offlinejimbobaby

• Local Hero
Bet MK.com thought Isaac had pressed the wrong button when he ordered tickets for every gig 8)  I wonder if MK will invite him backstage or make some sort of gesture for this outstanding show of loyalty.  I think he should

Rollergirl

Bet MK.com thought Isaac had pressed the wrong button when he ordered tickets for every gig 8)  I wonder if MK will invite him backstage or make some sort of gesture for this outstanding show of loyalty.  I think he should

I hope he won't, that would encourage all the weirdos out there! (Not saying that Isaac is a weirdo, he seems very nice and well balanced)

Offlinejimbobaby

• Local Hero

I hope he won't, that would encourage all the weirdos out there! (Not saying that Isaac is a weirdo, he seems very nice and well balanced)

RG  I know what you mean but it must be possible for Mk to make a discreet gift - a lytho or something to recopgnise Isaac's extraordinary effort - or even just go shake his hand at the end of the last gig or something without making any sort of fuss that would engourage the nutters as you say.  I note that Guy's wife made a point of saying hello to Issac him at the RAH. That was nice.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
RG  I know what you mean but it must be possible for Mk to make a discreet gift - a lytho or something to recopgnise Isaac's extraordinary effort - or even just go shake his hand at the end of the last gig or something without making any sort of fuss that would engourage the nutters as you say.  I note that Guy's wife made a point of saying hello to Issac him at the RAH. That was nice.

Seem to recall Guy and Danny shook Isaac's hand from the stage at the end of the last tour. I don't think MK would, as I don't think he would necessarily want to encourage people to do what Isaac's doing, not that I think there's anything wrong with it, but I can see MK being slightly uncomfortable at the thought of someone taking four months out of their life to follow him around the world.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
It is a bit of every fan fantasm to be able to follow a full tour, and surely at some point it had been mine, but from my own little experience of following Mark from Brussels to Nimes in 2001 [just only 6 shows in a row in 4 differents places] I can tell that I am pleased that it remains to the fantasm status (but how far I would go for a Dire Straits reunion?).

Isaac is lucky to be able to do it. Because he is doing something different and that most of us are not able to do, introducing him as the "one who attend every 2010 shows" is a bit troubling at first sight. Just think how you would react if instead he was introduced as "here is a travelerman man who is doing a long journey to discover Europe and meet a lot different people and culture". Same thing but different light.

Having met him he is not a sort of freaky groupie that some could imagine but a nice chap to talk with.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 37 queries.