Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: BBC special?  (Read 36605 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: BBC special?
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2013, 01:39:38 PM »
And not very long after my last post, I received a mail from Guy telling me that my question wont be posted, the reason why I cant say as its a private communication, but it doesn't have any information about our concern about the broadcast itself.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2013, 01:42:29 PM »
The very fact your question won't be posted is interesting enough.  The speculation is sure to continue even more now!  Thanks. :think
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2013, 06:05:58 PM »
I just don't get it.
Why refuse to post the question ???
If the answer is the usual "can't say right now", or "stay tuned", whatever... what is the problem with writing it ??
Is such a question that a problem ??
Actually this way of doing is just attracting a lot of attention to the question itself ! is it a pervert way of saying "stay tuned, a DVD is coming, but can't talk about it yet"... ?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2013, 07:47:12 PM »
I just don't get it.
Why refuse to post the question ???
If the answer is the usual "can't say right now", or "stay tuned", whatever... what is the problem with writing it ??
Is such a question that a problem ??
Actually this way of doing is just attracting a lot of attention to the question itself ! is it a pervert way of saying "stay tuned, a DVD is coming, but can't talk about it yet"... ?

If he did post the question with an answer, then it would end all the speculation and prevent anyone else asking him the same thing.  Imagine the number of private e-mails Guy is having to send out to people who are asking exactly the same thing as Jbaent.

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2013, 07:35:24 PM »
Unfortunately it would seem that the BBC have chosen not to reply to my query. Oh well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if this footage sees the light of day in one form or another, if ever.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2013, 03:13:15 PM »
A friend of mine from Spain asked to that BBC guy that someone (Was it Dusty, or Dmg?) posted here to be on charge of the musical content of the BBC, and the answer was this:

Thank you for your email about Mark Knopfler. We made a film with Mark last year, a documentary for BBC Four, which was very successful and is still being repeated. So we feel we are covered for the moment thank you.

So, they are "covered" by now.

:o

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2013, 03:37:22 PM »
A friend of mine from Spain asked to that BBC guy that someone (Was it Dusty, or Dmg?) posted here to be on charge of the musical content of the BBC, and the answer was this:

Thank you for your email about Mark Knopfler. We made a film with Mark last year, a documentary for BBC Four, which was very successful and is still being repeated. So we feel we are covered for the moment thank you.

So, what was the point of filming it in the first place then?    :hmm     Seems like a lot of money and people's time wasted imo!   

What do they mean by "covered"?    :think     Probably that they've "done" Mark Knopfler now!    :(
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2013, 03:53:24 PM »
Seems like the BBC are proud of their repeats these days then.  They can delve into their ever decreasing archives and use them as a way of covering bases of musical genres or artists.  Not exactly a progressive way of thinking for someone in his position.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2013, 04:18:16 PM »
I am pretty sure that this answer by the BBC is just an excuse, and they want to broadcast the concert, but for an unknown reason (to us) they are not, at least by now (thats my hope)

As Val said, doesn't makes sense that they spent a day recording it, with all the costs involved, from all the British, as its a public television, to in the end, dont broadcast it

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2013, 05:02:50 PM »
I am pretty sure that this answer by the BBC is just an excuse, and they want to broadcast the concert, but for an unknown reason (to us) they are not, at least by now (thats my hope)

As Val said, doesn't makes sense that they spent a day recording it, with all the costs involved, from all the British, as its a public television, to in the end, dont broadcast it

I got the impression that MK was paying for it and only hiring the studio and it's facilities that "happened" to be owned by the BBC.  If he never then there would be all sorts of problems in offering it as a DVD surely because it would be a BBC production.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2013, 05:10:14 PM »

I got the impression that MK was paying for it and only hiring the studio and it's facilities that "happened" to be owned by the BBC.  If he never then there would be all sorts of problems in offering it as a DVD surely because it would be a BBC production.

It was a BBC4 Sessions production, just like all the other previous ones that have been transmitted eg Richard Thompson, etc.   I didn't ever have the impression it was paid for by MK.   :hmm
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2013, 05:38:47 PM »

It was a BBC4 Sessions production, just like all the other previous ones that have been transmitted eg Richard Thompson, etc.   I didn't ever have the impression it was paid for by MK.   :hmm

My mistake then.  Let's hope they don't just scrap the tapes.  Archive man - archive!

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2013, 06:04:11 PM »
Maybe DMG is right, and also Val... Maybe MK paid for it, thinking in doing a dvd of it, or maybe it was paid by both parts, agreeing to broadcast it by the BBC and at the same time doing a dvd (I dont know if that happened with the A night in London, that was a Special "Later with Jools Holland")

Maybe it was entirely paid by the BBC and that rights can be bought for a dvd later, maybe cheaper than in other venues as its going to be broadcasted.

Many options, dont you think?  ;D :lol

Jokes apart, I hope that this won

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2013, 08:57:13 PM »

What a clown,  he's getting a slap the next time he sets foot in Aberdeen.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2013, 12:20:23 AM »
I take it all back.  I received the following reply from BBC Audience Services this morning...

Thanks for your enquiry.

I understand Mark Knopfler recorded a BBC Four Session earlier this year and you'd like to know the transmission date.

A check of our schedules has not provided us with a future date as yet, so it would appear that we're still awaiting confirmation from BBC Four of when this session will be broadcast.

The latest scheduling information on the BBC Four Sessions programme series can be found on its website at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006ylqn

Our schedules are usually confirmed ten days ahead of transmission time so it's still possible that Mark Knopfler's performance could be broadcast before Christmas.

I hope the website proves helpful and thanks again for contacting the BBC.

For more information about why we are not always able to answer every question individually please go to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/faqs/email_enquiry_response

Kind Regards

Tony Rogers

BBC Audience Services

So, in other words, they are none the wiser than we are!  But at least it was a polite reply and they were kind enough to respond, regardless of the answer.  I'm amazed at the response from the BBC that was posted by jbaent above.  Almost reads as if the guy got out of bed the wrong side that morning.  Not the attitude. 

I don't know.  We'll just have to wait and see what happens.  On the positive side, we have the USB sticks which contain complete soundboard recordings of most of this year's shows.  It would just have been nice to see a filmed show.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 38 queries.