Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Early Bird?  (Read 90489 times)

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
Re: Early Bird?
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2009, 03:10:52 PM »
I'm not very up with itunes.
Am i right in thinking that you HAVE to buy the whole album to hear 'Early Bird', or can you just buy that individual song?

I thought the whole idea of itunes was that you can buy any individual song that you like for about 79p

Cheers   BBB
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2009, 03:10:57 PM »
Well well well... If the track wasn't to be released nobody would complain about the deluxe edition. Maybe we will never see early bird on a CD but we all know that one way or the other, we're able to download it. ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 03:42:46 PM by localhero1986 »

Offlinepjh3121

• Local Hero
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2009, 03:16:38 PM »
Well well well... If the track wasn't to be released nobody would complain about the deluxe edition. Maybe we will never see easy bird on a CD but we all know that one way or the other, we're able to download it. ;)

And they can't blame people who download it 'one way or the other' when they scatter the tracks across several formats worth almost
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 03:21:33 PM by pjh3121 »

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2009, 03:22:26 PM »
I'm sure MK does not know the release strategy, this is a marketing thing. And we all know already that MK is not interested in those things at all...ask PC. Do you want his email?

Not really, I'm quite certain he wouldn't reply.

So Martina, you honestly believe that MK just says "OK, here's the album. Oh by the way, I've got four extra tracks that didn't make it, release them somehow if you want." ?

Well, PC (or assistant) has always answered my emails.

No, I don't think that is the way how they do it!
First, why are there 'only' 11 songs on the official album? Although MK would like to release - let's say 15 songs. So they decide to select 11 songs and keep some b-side songs as bonus material. The reason? To sell some more copies of course. I guess MK agreed on 15 songs (maybe more, who knows?) and then the record company starts their marketing strategies...it's a matter of selling copies and making money.
I would like to know who decides which song makes it on the album and which not? Is MK involved in this?

But - now this is my concern - if a fan wants to have all new stuff of the GL album, he or she has to buy the album twice. I doubt that and don't be surprised when we talk of piracy again. In a kind of way they support the 'piracy behaviour' here...not too clever! But who said they are clever after all those glitches we had already??

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 03:29:53 PM by marky49 »

Love Expresso

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2009, 03:34:14 PM »
The "Border Reiver" single (download) release has "Cleaning My Gun" as a so-called-bonus-track. I mean it is just another track from the album... ???  Why in heaven did they not put "Early Bird" as a bonus on the "Border Reiver" single release? That would have made a lot of fans download that track, o.k. only for one dollar/euro/pound, but that would be more intelligent in my humble opinion and I would have been very fine with that decision.

Also nearly 10 minutes playing time for three new songs on the bonus CD in the Deluxe edition is really a waste of resources. It seems as a rip-off the same as the whole pricing for the Deluxe box itself.

I however cancelled my Deluxe box order at amazon and will buy the DVD-package edition. At amazon, because once I read that the artists have the least profit from online-sellers. So this is my kind of boycott. And let me quote the poll option from Rollergirl in the other thread: NO WAY, THEY CAN STICK IT WHERE THE SUN DON

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2009, 03:36:08 PM »
Hi,

I have already seen bonus tracks on Itunes that were hidden tracks on a CD, because if we could buy the track that contains 2  songs for the same price, they would lose money...
But, I've also seen bonus tracks on Itunes thar are not on the CD and you can get only if you buy the whole album... another way to make money....
For the KTGC album, the live version of Boom Like That can be bought separately on ITunes.
And things change from a country to another....
The Brothers In Arms single that was released as a CD two years ago, for a veteran association, is only available in the UK Itunes store...
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2009, 03:39:16 PM »
B***x to that,
thats my mind made up,I'm buying the cd for
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2009, 03:43:04 PM »
The "Border Reiver" single (download) release has "Cleaning My Gun" as a so-called-bonus-track. I mean it is just another track from the album... ???  Why in heaven did they not put "Early Bird" as a bonus on the "Border Reiver" single release? That would have made a lot of fans download that track, o.k. only for one dollar/euro/pound, but that would be more intelligent in my humble opinion and I would have been very fine with that decision.

Also nearly 10 minutes playing time for three new songs on the bonus CD in the Deluxe edition is really a waste of resources. It seems as a rip-off the same as the whole pricing for the Deluxe box itself.

I however cancelled my Deluxe box order at amazon and will buy the DVD-package edition. At amazon, because once I read that the artists have the least profit from online-sellers. So this is my kind of boycott. And let me quote the poll option from Rollergirl in the other thread: NO WAY, THEY CAN STICK IT WHERE THE SUN DON

Offlinepjh3121

• Local Hero
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2009, 03:44:12 PM »
B***x to that,
thats my mind made up,I'm buying the cd for

Love Expresso

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2009, 03:49:33 PM »

Only 13000 copies world wide and only for some 'freaks' like us here.

Well, for my part, I am "freaked-out" today.  >:(

LE

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2009, 03:56:54 PM »
If there are 12 people here that really want to have Early Bird then come together and buy the get Lucky album on iTunes.
Then you will pay
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2009, 03:58:56 PM »
Martina I am surprised that Mark would not have an "artist clause" in his deal with Mercury. I may be wrong but after all these years, and remember the way OES was done, thinking that Mark has not the last word over the final release is somewhat nonsense for me.

I can't believe that actualy Mark has no power to tell "here is my next album, there 11 songs and I want the first one being this one then that one, etcetera". The Beatles vetoed SPLHCB singles, Led Zeppelin vetoed STH single for some time, Mark seems to let it all go.

There are things he has interest in and others he has not. Sure he can let the record company do what they want with his work but when it turn to put Mark's image under negative lights there is a point where Mark is able to use his artist clause and say them "NO" and let them know he is not happy with what/how they are doing. The deluxe could not be done without his approval, same for the i-tune extra track.

For sure Mark does not decide their marketing strategies but when this turn to go wrong in the end he get responsability if he or the management do nothing to change that.

My "0 cent"

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2009, 04:06:43 PM »

First, why are there 'only' 11 songs on the official album? Although MK would like to release - let's say 15 songs. So they decide to select 11 songs and keep some b-side songs as bonus material. The reason? To sell some more copies of course. I guess MK agreed on 15 songs (maybe more, who knows?) and then the record company starts their marketing strategies...it's a matter of selling copies and making money.

No, I think what happens is this.

They work on the songs, and end up with 15. MK, probably in collaboration with GF and CA then decide the running order of the final album. In this case they chose 11, either because the other 4 weren't good enough, or more likely, didn't fit in with the "feel" of the album. MK probably gave permission for the other four tracks to be released, PCM probably said "We're going to release 3 on a box set along with other goodies and 1 as an iTunes exclusive" and MK agreed to it. To be fair to MK, when put this way it sounds reasonable enough, it's only when you start looking at the actual cost that it gets ridiculous.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinemarky49

• Lady writer
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2009, 04:12:08 PM »

No, I think what happens is this.

They work on the songs, and end up with 15. MK, probably in collaboration with GF and CA then decide the running order of the final album. In this case they chose 11, either because the other 4 weren't good enough, or more likely, didn't fit in with the "feel" of the album. MK probably gave permission for the other four tracks to be released, PCM probably said "We're going to release 3 on a box set along with other goodies and 1 as an iTunes exclusive" and MK agreed to it. To be fair to MK, when put this way it sounds reasonable enough, it's only when you start looking at the actual cost that it gets ridiculous.

It's possible. But I'm not sure if MK has such a strong say. I hope he has, but we don't know.
The strategy sounds good to me anyway, only for the hardcore fans it gets pricey if you want all the new stuff of the GL album. That's all.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2009, 04:13:08 PM »
If there are 12 people here that really want to have Early Bird then come together and buy the get Lucky album on iTunes.
Then you will pay
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 42 queries.