Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: DS-A Visual Biography  (Read 1267 times)

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
DS-A Visual Biography
« on: December 24, 2021, 06:40:54 AM »
When I picked up my copy of the JI book I also bought Dire Straits-A Visual Biograpy by Laura Shenton(Wymer Publishing.)
It is quite expensive at almost £40 but is worth it.
It is a coffee table sized book with lost of lovely photos and reviews of DS happenings(albums,live shows etc)from the beginning to the end.
From well known publications(Rolling Stone magazine) to local press(Harrow Midweek anyone) this is a well researched book with some fascinating quotes from all band members.
The Record Mirror quotes from December 1980 have to be seen.
Here's an excerpt:"In fact,I'm sorry to say it,but in two hours only one song stood out as being different.Les Boys,a clever musical cameo based on a gay cabaret act in Germany with a Dietrich intro and strong melody content.It's comparable to Une Nuit A Paris by the old 10cc and is just as accurate,precise,clever and,well,different!DS are strictly a rock band,none of this pop nonsense for them.They are a proud anachronism,stubbornly travelling in a different time warp,carrying thousands along with them.The crowd like it(I think),no one danced in the aisles,there was no mass adulation.Everyone remained dutifully seated throughout and applauded in all the right places.It was strictly circa 1970 all over again and who am I to say that is a bad thing!However,they must eventually move on and if Les Boys is the direction they're heading then maybe there's hope,if not,DS could well become a predicament as well as a name."
The "reviewer" isn't named and it's probably safe to say his/her career in music journalism didn't last long.
I really enjoyed the Illsley book and this is also a very enjoyable read.I hope some of you find a copy under the tree this week or are able to pick up a copy in the forthcoming sales.
Happy holidays.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: DS-A Visual Biography
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 09:07:01 AM »
Thanks for the pointer for the DS book wakeywakey...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dire-Straits-Biography-Laura-Shenton/dp/1912782774
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 09:10:39 AM »
Dire Straits - A visual Biography

Product Description
After their last studio album in 1991 and the tour that followed it, fans have eagerly awaited a Dire Straits reunion ever since. Whilst the likelihood of that remains incredibly slim, this book is a celebration of the band and their amazing musical accomplishments - with 'Sultans Of Swing', 'Private Investigations' and 'Money For Nothing' being just the tip of the iceberg! From the early days of playing at London's Hope & Anchor in 1977, to the dizzying heights of the 1985-86 Brothers In Arms tour and beyond, this book documents it all. With vintage interviews and reviews aplenty, the story of Dire Straits is one that needs to be told and this mammoth book is the most comprehensive biography of the band yet published. Not only is the band's story covered in detail through the narrative - this lavish coffee table book is also visually stunning - printed on high quality art paper and illustrated throughout with numerous photos and items of memorabilia making this a highly desirable Dire Straits collectible

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 10:10:46 AM »
I have it and have to say it's very nice.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 10:14:50 AM »

The "reviewer" isn't named and it's probably safe to say his/her career in music journalism didn't last long.

Isn't it a fair comment though? The songs on the first two albums DID sound very similar, MK himself realised this and they did change the sound going forward and this helped to sustain their career. If they had kept the 4 piece format then this reviewer's prediction may well have been correct.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 11:00:52 AM »
I have it and have to say it's very nice.

Oooh excellent....

And while I'm at it, seasons greetings to everyone too.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 11:18:43 AM by Knopflerfan »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 39 queries.