Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Boy EP (03) All Comers  (Read 3160 times)

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
Re: The Boy EP (03) All Comers
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2024, 10:36:42 PM »
Love it. Would have been a perfect album opener and a perfect live show opener. Put Why Aye Man, One Song at a time, Border Reiver and What it is in a blender, add a sprinkling of Tunnel of Love magic and you get this. Fantastic. Strange TOL hasn't been mentioned more in the press work etc on the EP given fairground theme.
Agreed. When I heard it I didn't think of WII nor WAM, but yes of a blend between Border Reiver and One Song a Time. Yes it would have been the perfect opener!
And yes, when we talk Spanish City we think TOL, strange it didn't get a word!! TOL is the still the martyr song which didn't deserve this fate...

The perfect mix. You both nailed it. The WII drums in the middle part up to the build up is a nice nod. :thumbsup

This song is just so incredibly good. It ticks boxes from almost every release since 1996 and onwards.

This IS MK's music to me and one of his best ones ever imho.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2024, 10:52:50 PM »
Immediately after i heard it for the first time in London i said to Vesper and Ingrid, its a mix between Border Reiver and What it Is.

Indeed very nice song. He still has it, not only this song, but also the One Deep River album.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2024, 01:24:52 AM »
Awesome track. I find it interesting that it is a folky driven song that ended up being the one that ticks all the boxes for most of us.
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2024, 07:57:55 AM »
Killer song indeed! Would be my number 1 opener for a gig… :lol

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2024, 05:15:45 PM »
Killer song indeed! Would be my number 1 opener for a gig… :lol

Would so work as an opener!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2024, 07:37:10 PM »
I can finally hear those synths:) Amazing track and one of the best in all of MK's work.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OnlineH97

• Camerado
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2024, 09:07:52 PM »
This would have been an amazing opener for the album, this is easily the most exciting song Mark has written in the past 15 years. I love Trapper Man as an opener, despite some artistic choices I wouldn't have made, and I don't care too much for Laugh and Smokes, but this is a real other level. The intro is amazing Sailing to Philadelphia atmospheres with strong melodies reminiscent of those early 2000s as well and it's got Celtic MK maturity. There's an urgence to this song much of his last work was missing.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2024, 09:14:54 PM »
"There's an urgence to this song much of his last work was missing"

Can you elaborate on this thread? :)
Clear as the day

OnlineH97

• Camerado
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2024, 09:32:22 PM »

I feel that it is reflected in most of songs since Privateering that they have come from the comfort of writing at home and working in his own studio. Especially the last three albums have been lush and rather relaxed. This song leaves me wishing for a live rendition, an extended version, airplay even. It comes with an energy and excitement in arrangement and way of playing most of his last work did not have for me. I guess that's what I meant by urgence? The topic of the song and the delivery of "taking on all comers" adds a lot to that feeling of course. The song's a fighter.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2024, 09:54:47 PM »

I feel that it is reflected in most of songs since Privateering that they have come from the comfort of writing at home and working in his own studio. Especially the last three albums have been lush and rather relaxed. This song leaves me wishing for a live rendition, an extended version, airplay even. It comes with an energy and excitement in arrangement and way of playing most of his last work did not have for me. I guess that's what I meant by urgence? The topic of the song and the delivery of "taking on all comers" adds a lot to that feeling of course. The song's a fighter.

I understand. I was a little surprised why only one song on the One Deep River album was played by John McCusker and Michael McGoldrock. I'm glad they played more on the bonus tracks, and All Comers is a masterpiece.
Clear as the day

Offlinenatork

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2024, 01:46:05 AM »
Guys, I'm getting the EP next weekend.  :'( 
Can I get a file of the song from someone?  Thanks in advance

I'm in the same situation. I live in Brazil. If someone can send the ep songs to me as well, please do so! Thanks!

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2024, 10:16:33 AM »
All Comers is one of the best songs in recent years. Nice melody, up-tempo, with a folky taste and well written lyrics.
Border Reiver has a menage à trois with Done With Bonaparte and What It Is and this song is born.

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2024, 02:17:47 PM »
And song is so great that nobody seems to be disturbed by the fact that the main lead parts are played by folkies and not by MK's lead.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2024, 07:22:21 PM »
And song is so great that nobody seems to be disturbed by the fact that the main lead parts are played by folkies and not by MK's lead.

Yes that's right, MK follows the lead in this one!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2024, 10:01:47 PM »

Yes that's right, MK follows the lead in this one!

MK neither plays the lead in his masterpiece Done with Bonaparte! ;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 37 queries.