Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Legends Series: Rare Reproductions & Recordings  (Read 11820 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: The Legends Series: Rare Reproductions & Recordings
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2020, 01:18:49 PM »
I recall there was mentioned Fender were thinking about a Mexican version of the MK strat but it never got to happen as far as I know.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2020, 02:33:53 PM »
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2020, 02:37:37 PM »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2020, 02:52:59 PM »
All I know is that all the moaning about MK is seemingly completely useless, I've probably never seen an artist hidden behind a bigger wall than MK. You literally can't get to him in any way, and I'm not talking about getting an autograph or a message or something, just strictly the relationship between fans and the artist. Even Sir Van Morrison is more connected to the fans, but Mark lives on his own planet, which makes him ever so slightly not down to earth at all. He finally broke that wall a little with his radio show, but of course, it lasted not for long. Unfortunately, all the moaning on social media won't take us far in terms of better merchandise or release strategy, because the boss don't want it to happen in the first place.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2020, 02:58:06 PM »
I would say Mike Oldfield is the most private artist I know. Mark has stated many, many times he doesn't like fame, so why are people still so surprised he likes to keep a low profile? If I was in his shoes I would do the same, he is entitled to his privacy if that is what he chooses.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2020, 03:06:09 PM »
I would say Mike Oldfield is the most private artist I know. Mark has stated many, many times he doesn't like fame, so why are people still so surprised he likes to keep a low profile? If I was in his shoes I would do the same, he is entitled to his privacy if that is what he chooses.

I think you can stay private and be the most 'high profile' man in the world, I mean fame has probably nothing to do with it, as well as a good release strategy, good marketing, etc. The trouble is that he genuinely doesn't want all that, he fired the man who put "The voice and guitar of Dire Straits" on his albums and who would [probably] make things better in terms of the topic in question but decided to go his way. Which is, unfortunately for us, really is extremely low profile.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2020, 03:11:06 PM »
No other manager would justify not having a proper live album for how many years? I lost all counts already. When Mark could do British Grove Studios Live album, countless of other albums, all those beautiful venues he played in, some of which were even recorded, all we have is spontaneous and sometimes poorely edited live recordings, a 2006 live album with Emmylou Harris and a 2009 Prince's Trust show. It's like they thought, that live show recordings = live albums and decided 'nah, that's enough'.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2020, 03:27:44 PM »
Mark is extremely lacking in the 'content for fans department' if that's a word. I remember being utterly overwhelmed by the Tracker documentary. It was 5 minutes long or something, but I thought 'Wow, that was amazing!'. Little did I know, that we will barely get more than that and a different Henrik Hansen project which will fall into the development hell. It's not like fans want too much, fans want pretty much basic stuff — some interviews, beautiful shots with his music underneath, nothing too fancy. Releases with more than old tracks in sometimes old clothes, more bonus tracks, more unreleased stuff. Even Radio Show, I thought it would be longer than 3 hours. Mark is like Apple, and I mean the company — you love all the products, but you wish they would do many things differently, their competitors do things much better, but they don't care, they do it their own way, you cry about it in social media, then they do it again. You cry again, then they do it again...

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2020, 03:53:54 PM »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2020, 06:24:04 PM »

Some people are just so dumb...

I like how he actually mentioned David, as in he wanted him to actually see it, kudos to David for his reply, makes the whole situation a million times more funny.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2020, 06:29:09 PM »
If you go to MK.com now, it has a large poster that says "MARK KNOPFLER LIMITED EDITION 1958 LES PAUL PRE-ORDER NOW AVAILABLE" as if you can pre-order an actual guitar. Reminds me of some posters that reads "DIRE STRAITS" and then in a little font "tribute band".

The funniest part about it is I think that the picture of Mark with guitars here is the most valuable item. The toy guitar is not true to the original and overpriced anyway, live recordings you can buy or download, or ask a friend, certificates worth absolutely nothing, and so the photo is the most interesting item!

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2020, 07:08:00 PM »
Mark has stated many, many times he doesn't like fame, so why are people still so surprised he likes to keep a low profile? If I was in his shoes I would do the same, he is entitled to his privacy if that is what he chooses.

Exactly!  :thumbsup
And despite all the fame and fortune he has gained over the years, his attitude toward fame has never changed.
I`ve always admired Mark Knopfler not only for his incredible musical talent and songwriting but also for his strength of character. And always will.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2020, 07:12:13 PM »
Mark has stated many, many times he doesn't like fame, so why are people still so surprised he likes to keep a low profile? If I was in his shoes I would do the same, he is entitled to his privacy if that is what he chooses.

And despite all the fame and fortune he has gained over the years, his attitude toward fame has never changed.
I`ve always admired Mark Knopfler not only for his incredible musical talent and songwriting but also for his strength of character. And always will.

How exactly fame correlates with selling first an overpriced 10,000$ dollar guitar to people, and then selling an overpriced 450$ replica? Or :lol

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2020, 07:16:44 PM »

How exactly fame correlates with selling first an overpriced 10,000$ dollar guitar to people, and then selling an overpriced 450$ replica? Or :lol

hehe very good one
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2020, 08:07:34 PM »
Well I don't see any correlation between merchandising and fame?

The MK signature Strat although being expensive was still affordable to a lot of people and not a limited run while in production.
The Les Paul is another history.

Regarding live recording well mark allowed almost all his shows to be recorded and sold since 2010.
But the market is limited and is enough place for BOTH a whole tour low quality production release AND an expensive production cost of a regular live album issued by the record company?

So the attitude of Mark and management toward the fan base is questioning but we can't say that he did nothing.

If the 2005 recording could re-released in better resolution would be a good step.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 38 queries.