Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: About EGHAM concert in 1989  (Read 12080 times)

Offlinejoan_duarte

• Guitar George
Re: About EGHAM concert in 1989
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2014, 08:33:57 PM »
thanks Pottel !

Offlinejoan_duarte

• Guitar George
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2014, 03:05:31 PM »
I have an answer from Alan Clark in Facebook !:

Can't remember if there was one in Egham

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »

As expected , he did remember the New Castle Brave Hearts Charity Gig in Oct. or another one that same year? (probably not asked  ;D )
I mean how many gigs did he played with DS in 1989 :think

thx for your effort Joan , and of course welcome.
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

Offlinejoan_duarte

• Guitar George
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2014, 08:09:56 PM »
I asked twice and only got this short answer...
Something's better than nothing...  ;)

I wanted to buy the photo in paper but they only sell to UK.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2014, 08:33:44 PM »

As expected , he did remember the New Castle Brave Hearts Charity Gig in Oct. or another one that same year? (probably not asked  ;D )
I mean how many gigs did he played with DS in 1989 :think

thx for your effort Joan , and of course welcome.

It was 25 years ago so...
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2014, 10:15:01 PM »
 a charity gig in front of 700 people for a little girl fighting cancer ,with the big Dire Straits two years after hugh BIA-tour will be remembered after 25 years,
what if we asked Alan about the 1988 Nelson Mandela GIG ???

of course you did the best you can Joan  :thumbsup

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2014, 04:11:06 PM »
a charity gig in front of 700 people for a little girl fighting cancer ,with the big Dire Straits two years after hugh BIA-tour will be remembered after 25 years,

Maybe that this 1989 gig was not that memorable for him, just one more and not that impressive of playing a full crowded Wembley stadium.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2014, 05:18:20 PM »

Maybe that this 1989 gig was not that memorable for him, just one more and not that impressive of playing a full crowded Wembley stadium.

Becuase of that wouldn't it be as easy remembering a small intimate charity gig in a year Dire Straits didn't perform more than once (or twice ? ) ,
they played more bigger events than small events like this. ( me for sure would not forget an intimate charity gig with DS between 1986 and 1991 for a little girl her impressive book about her fight for cancer) , but hey i am no Alan Clark... offcourse i would remember the Nelson and Knebworth park too .

i got the feeling that most ex members except for Jack sonni are not in for any questions about the Dire Straits period.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2014, 07:11:58 PM »
From my experience, musicians are not always the most reliable witnesses to events in which they were involved.

For example, I can recall sending a photo from Mr Bob's "Like A Rolling Stone" session to a musician who was involved, asking, "Is that you on guitar there?" The reply I got was something like, "Sure is!". This guy has long said that, while he attended the session intending to play guitar, he heard Mike Bloomfield play and decided not to play guitar and took up the keyboards. When I later raised the matter of his confirmation that it was him playing guitar in the photo, he changed his story. "No, that's (another named guitar player). People are are always mixing the two of us up". The other guitarist was never involved in that particular session. What can you say? He was there and I wasn't but all the documentary evidence indicates that his memory was at fault.

At least Alan Clark didn't deny it had happened, only that he couldn't remember that particular show.  Nothing wrong in that.

Many years ago, I was in a discussion with a blues fan I know who asked if I'd ever seen Jo-Anne Kelly in my early days haunting some of the clubs in the London arae. I said that I had not. Then, a few years later, I was looking through a pocket diary from the time and, lo and behold, there was her name down as one of the singers on my sole visit to a particular club. I can recall that visit but not her performing there. Another example. I have a ticket from a concert in St Pancras Town Hall in the late-1960s, with several musicians listed. I can recall the concert but I can't recall Jackson C. Frank (who was listed) performing there. I saw him elsewhere and can recall that but did he turn up to St Pancras Town Hall that night? I have no idea.  And yet another example but the opposite way round. I saw The Incredible String Band at the Royal Festival Hall once and can recall Tim Buckley coming on as aguest after the interval and doing (I think) three songs. Quite some years ago, I mentioned this to someone who is keen on Tim Buckley and was more or less told that I was phantasizing, so much so that I began to doubt my own memory. Then, a few years back, came confirmation that I had recalled it correctly - and now can say that I am one of the small number of people in this country who has seen both Tim Buckley and Jeff Buckley perform live.

Anyway, I'm not really surprised that Alan Clark can't remember. Unless he keeps his old bookings diary or other mementos of all the shows in which he performs (and has ready access to them), it is reasonable that he would not recall.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2014, 09:57:18 PM »
Thank God Al Kooper did put down the guitar, the organ is glorious.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2014, 10:52:52 PM »
Thank God Al Kooper did put down the guitar, the organ is glorious.

yes but he played the 12strings guitar well during the session with Stills

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2014, 11:00:19 PM »
From my experience, musicians are not always the most reliable witnesses to events in which they were involved.

100% agree

other example is when Mark claims he used the 54 strat on trawlerman song in an itw, and we all know it's not the case

there are also many examples on Guy's forum. His answers are far far less accurate than fan's knowledge...

us, amateurish musicians have played less than 1% gigs compared to Alan's career, and could we recall exactly all gigs/dates we played ?

we fans, are "mad" about years/dates/venues/gear, etc... but in Mark's  or Alan's or Guy's head, the 1985-1993 era was full of charity concerts, and they can easily confuse one with another

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2014, 11:40:24 PM »
nick mason of the floyd is a good one, he is the main collector of everything floyd, his book inside out is also great fun. i only got to see Jeff Buckley, but boy did he leave an impression.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 38 queries.