Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Straits Charity in RAH?  (Read 165581 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: The Straits Charity in RAH?
« Reply #450 on: May 26, 2011, 02:24:15 PM »
won't happen here....

Unless anybody makes any comments about my beloved Osama Bin Laden.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #451 on: May 26, 2011, 02:42:04 PM »
Lol - sense of humour goes a looooooonnnnnng way for a healthy life! ;D
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #452 on: May 26, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »
Lol - sense of humour goes a looooooonnnnnng way for a healthy life! ;D

Well apparently Osama did improv stand up in his spare time but it didn't do him much good in the end.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #453 on: May 26, 2011, 08:30:27 PM »
Quote BBB: "I saw 2 of the members of Dire Fakes!!!"

Hey BBB that is great to hear! I met Alan and his wife last year in Brighton and I liked to meet them too!

Slavi, THANK YOU for telling your story about the concert!  :-*

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

Offlinesimonmarksmith

• Guitar George
    • My Facebook Music Page
« Reply #454 on: May 26, 2011, 11:05:10 PM »
Oohhhh whaauww, what a messages I had to read again, this is sure a HOT dog

Offlinesimonmarksmith

• Guitar George
    • My Facebook Music Page
« Reply #455 on: May 26, 2011, 11:16:22 PM »
BTW, welcome Simon! Was surprised to know you are a fan. It's a pity we didn't meet...

I'm not sure if people here know that Simon has a song with Chris on sax and Chris Whitten on the drums...Simon, would be happy to know how was that happen??

http://www.simonsdiary.co.uk/songs/Songs%202002/songs%202002.html#gritty

Thankyou,

I was the one outside who got a parking ticket LOL

Gritty was being produced by Peter Henderson, he had got an Emmy for producing Breakfast In America by Supertramp and was also an engineer for Paul McCartney. I had put some keyboard sax sounds on the demo and said how much I loved Chris White's Sax solo on Romneo and Juliet and he said "Well I'll ask him if he'll play on this then". So that's basically how it happened. Here's the video to the song and if you want to download it for free there's another link below the video.
 http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_insight?v=8eymQHn_tbQ

Here's where I keep my songs... If you join the membership site and then let me know you're from this group I'll put you on The Gold membership level for a year for free ~ there's no catches... honest guv!

http://simonmarksmith.com/wordpress/free-songs/

I've been a fan of Dire Straits / Mark Knopfler for a long time and much of my music is heavily influenced by them..

:-)

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:19:37 PM by simonmarksmith »

Offlinedona74

• Guitar George
« Reply #456 on: May 26, 2011, 11:29:46 PM »

Well let me start! First of all I want to welcome Dona 74 and Simonmarksmith to this wonderful forum of great fans and friends where everybody can give their opinion as long as we all treat each other with respect! We can disagree, but never should hurt each others feelings! …. Fieneke

Thank'you Fieneke...

I was reading this forum since it was created...and I'm sure that it's full of real Knopfler fan but first of all it's full of really nice people and I'm very pleased to be here.
 "The Straits thing" makes me decide to post my feelings despite my poor english .... probably I've choose a post a little too "deep" in our knopflerian souls...  ;)

The real matter IMHO is that there are a lot of Knopfler fans that consider "The Straits thing" a sort of betrayal.
And even if I could (using a big portion of good sense) believe in my head to the good faith of Alan Clark & C... in my heart this disgusting feeling remains.

And this feeling remains regardless of the "Knopfler thought" about the question.

Probably I'm a too "fundamentalist" fan...  ;D   but for me Knopfler is the owner of Dire Straits with the right to decide to put "old time" in the closet.
Some nostalgic friends asked him to open the closet and received many "no.. let's move on" as answer ...but they take it out from the closet anyway (misleading with the Straits name... with charity.... without respect for Knopfler advice).

That's why I can't enjoy myself listening to The Straits... a "bad feeling matter"

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:32:17 PM by dona74 »

Offlineriton

• Guitar George
« Reply #457 on: May 27, 2011, 12:20:31 AM »
Hi all,

No polemic, just my point of view !

In spite of all the debate with the Straits  ( Mark and John seems to be a little bit disappointed on the band's name , but it's not the subject )w
Alan clark updated his site and shows big respect on the MK's choice :
++++++
Since Dire Straits played their last gig in 1992, the magnificently talented, musical genius that is Mark Knopfler has made 6 solo records and, understandably, prefers to leave Dire Straits behind him and concentrate on this solo material. He has made it clear that he does not want to reform the band or play the band's music. We formed The Straits to satisfy the huge demand to hear Dire Straits' music. When we play Dire Straits' music it is being played by the people who made it. I was involved in the creative process of most of Dire Straits' music. A part of me is woven into it. Chris White has been a part of the band since 1985; Phil joined in 1990. Mark's brilliant music is in very safe hands. We love it.
++++++

Alan is an outstanding musician (better according to me than Guy, but I do not speak about compos) as well as do all other members of the Straits, it is indisputable, but look - not for the price of fame???

I think as for myself, that when we are taken in the whirlwind of the glory during a decade and when we are lucky to play with one of the biggest and best band  of moment, which owes mainly its success to the quality of its compo and the brilliance (almost indecently nature)  of a certain Mark, that must be hard to stay in the shadow during 20 years. It  can be an opportunit for this musicians ( excellent musicians) to exist again. If Mark, John, Guy, compose, record, play live in a band , it is not the case of the remainder of the band.

Spent good time with old friends? To make profitable the experiences and knowledge of the past? I hope that Mark will have the same fairplay that Alan.

About the RAH performance , I shall not carry a judgment (too much DS  live music in my ears ) even if Alan and Chris lost nothing, it misses  the master touch which drives and makes all the difference; it says in any objectivity,  what will be a DS gig with MK today ? would have we not the same nostaly of past in front of a Mark not offering to his fans for what they wait and want to listen of a concert of DS?

After all I think that the choice of each is fair and sensible.

Riton

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #458 on: May 27, 2011, 08:38:11 AM »
Simon,  Thank you!   I really enjoyed listening to "Gritty", it had a lovely feeling and your voice was complemented so well with Chris's  beautiful sax and the bass running through!    I liked it a lot!    :P
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesimonmarksmith

• Guitar George
    • My Facebook Music Page
« Reply #459 on: May 29, 2011, 03:56:47 AM »
Simon,  Thank you!   I really enjoyed listening to "Gritty", it had a lovely feeling and your voice was complemented so well with Chris's  beautiful sax and the bass running through!    I liked it a lot!    :P

Thank you Val

If you want to keep in contact and get more songs for Free (So I'm not on the sell OK LOL) come to my music page
http://simonmarksmith.com/wordpress/home/

I'm working on a new song right now and it's so influenced by Dire Straits, there's no escape LOL

Best wishes

Simon

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #460 on: May 29, 2011, 01:57:01 PM »
I just uploaded my recording, incomplete (I dont know why I
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #461 on: May 30, 2011, 02:35:10 PM »
won't happen here....

Unless anybody makes any comments about my beloved Osama Bin Laden.
...or Phil...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #462 on: May 30, 2011, 07:06:19 PM »
Does anyone know who the management are for The Straits?   There must be someone other than the band who arrange bookings, etc.  Just a thought! 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #463 on: May 30, 2011, 08:36:56 PM »
According to a poster from page #13 of this thread, the road manager for The Straits is certain Terry Kilburn. What a small world.
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlineaborille

• Local Hero
« Reply #464 on: May 30, 2011, 09:09:37 PM »
According to a poster from page #13 of this thread, the road manager for The Straits is certain Terry Kilburn. What a small world.

Nope, that was a fake poster. The photo shows dire straits "legends" band, leaded by Marco Caviglia that performed a few gigs in Italy. Tour Manager was exactly Kilburn.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 35 queries.