Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #07 DTRW TOUR - May 05 2019 - Navarra Arena, Pamplona, Spain #SPOILER#  (Read 46217 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
brilliant set , marks 69 , played well , cant wait wait to catch up with you guys

Sorry, but this is not a good set.  Barcelona was mainly interesting because of Once Upon a Time and Silvertown, however there are many reasons why this isn't good and why it could easily be so much better.

1.  TR must be maintained because it is the only song majestic/epic/monumental (call it what you will) enough to finish the concert with aplomb.  ToL would do it but he won't play that either.

2.  He's missing out on playing the best songs from the new album such as OSAAT.

3.  The set lacks pace in the first half after CBC.

:hmm :hmm :o

I'm in disbelief, this is MK's last huge tour, and I'm convinced he's struggling so lets just be thankful for 17 tunes from 'The Master' tonight....

It's just 13 days until Leeds and I can't wait!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 11:42:25 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinecrimmer

• Camerado
  • BLUESY man Chris
Some of you really need to be ashamed of yourselves. Mark has given his fans all he has got for over 4 decades. Now he is saying his goodbyes and all you van do is whine.  This man deserves a standing ovation each night and nothing less.

Hear, bloody hear!!! Well Feckin said.....

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
SHANGR LA-2 concerts  KTGC-3 concerts 
ATRR- 1 concert GET LUCKY - 3 concerts
2011- 2 concerts PRIVATEERING- 6 concerts
TRACKER 6 concerts
DTRW Barcelona, leeds, Newcastle, RAH x2 ,Manchester, Birmingham,

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
One sad thing is we are not going to get OSAAT are we.... :disbelief

there's still time on Gibson, , along way to go yet!!

I guess so, and again we have to be very thankful hes playing at all....looking forward to our catch up in Leeds....

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
brilliant set , marks 69 , played well , cant wait wait to catch up with you guys

Sorry, but this is not a good set.  Barcelona was mainly interesting because of Once Upon a Time and Silvertown, however there are many reasons why this isn't good and why it could easily be so much better.

1.  TR must be maintained because it is the only song majestic/epic/monumental (call it what you will) enough to finish the concert with aplomb.  ToL would do it but he won't play that either.

2.  He's missing out on playing the best songs from the new album such as OSAAT.

It is what it is DMG. You can choose to be critical, or you can choose to enjoy it while you can. I choose the latter.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Played well?  Yes, the band did but Mark is no longer the star attraction; he merely shares the stage with the other musicians now.  TR was his showcase.  If this is his final tour what a bitterly disappointing legacy to leave.

Well put it this way, I haven't shelved out hundreds of pounds to watch/listen to Guy Fletcher and the sunshine band with Mark Knopfler as a guest....
MK IS the star attraction and like all those who made up DS over the years they were there to support MK!!

Offlinecrimmer

• Camerado
  • BLUESY man Chris

I'm in disbelief, this is MK's last huge tour, and I'm convinced he's struggling so lets just be thankful for 17 tunes from 'The Master' tonight....

he looked old in barcelona , and i had tears in my eyes when he enterd the stage, looking slow and tierd, i didnt want him to even atempt sultans or anything quick this tour , the set is what he can play now, loved the differnet set and surprises and i loved every second of it!! ,im so looking forward to catching up with knoflerfan and dmg in leeds newcastle , london etc , but all of us love knopff can still play and had heart felt melodies and we can see him do it
SHANGR LA-2 concerts  KTGC-3 concerts 
ATRR- 1 concert GET LUCKY - 3 concerts
2011- 2 concerts PRIVATEERING- 6 concerts
TRACKER 6 concerts
DTRW Barcelona, leeds, Newcastle, RAH x2 ,Manchester, Birmingham,

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms

he looked old in barcelona , and i had tears in my eyes when he enterd the stage, looking slow and tierd, i didnt want him to even atempt sultans or anything quick this tour , the set is what he can play now, loved the differnet set and surprises and i loved every second of it!! ,im so looking forward to catching up with knoflerfan and dmg in leeds newcastle , london etc , but all of us love knopff can still play and had heart felt melodies and we can see him do it

I too have shed a tear looking at the various vids on YT and I'm sure will do in Leeds and Birmingham...let's just all be thankful for what Fantastic music MK has given us over the years and how the music lives on long after he stops touring     

I am looking forward to catching up with Mr Crimmer, dmg, Mr & Mrs Superval99, Ingridswing and others and then all going to the concert hall to listen to 'The master' play....
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 11:57:37 PM by Knopflerfan »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Some of you really need to be ashamed of yourselves. Mark has given his fans all he has got for over 4 decades. Now he is saying his goodbyes and all you van do is whine.  This man deserves a standing ovation each night and nothing less.
Actually you are damn right !
I know I will enjoy Bordeaux tomorrow whatever the setlist is.
Thanks for saving me from the dark side.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Actually you are damn right !
I know I will enjoy Bordeaux tomorrow whatever the setlist is.
Thanks for saving me from the dark side.

It will be the atmosphere thing that once you get into the concert hall and the music cranks up and MK starts playing that at that point you don't give a s$$t what is played as long as he keeps playing!!!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

It is what it is DMG. You can choose to be critical, or you can choose to enjoy it while you can. I choose the latter.

I'm just not going to pretend I'm happy he's short changing us, that's all.  No Sultans, no TR, stripped-back Speedway and since 1992 no ToL.  We must be the most loyal fans in the world!

I've been listening to his music since 1985 and I was 8 or 9 and loved his guitar and I'm not going to these shows solely to listen to him "singing" HFOH with a brass band behind him - that's not what got me into his music.  I understand he's evolved but to the extent that his guitar is virtually abandoned on his farewell tour is two fingers up to his most loyal fans and a thumbs up to those who have been fans for 5 minutes.  It makes it even worse that he teased us with TR on a few early shows.

If he looks old, slow and incapable he really shouldn't be attempting a tour of this scale, or any scale.  I think there's a bit of an exaggeration over his physical well-being.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 12:05:54 AM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedvschend

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Someone replied "You dont deserve to call yourself a fan" to my twitter poll already. Here we must be ashamed. I must have travelled back to the 1500's to get a proper witchhunt  :clap

How judgemental. Zero tolerance people, if you'll have a slightly different opinion  :wave

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Someone replied "You dont deserve to call yourself a fan" to my twitter poll already. Here we must be ashamed. I must have travelled back to the 1500's to get a proper witchhunt  :clap

How judgemental. Zero tolerance people, if you'll have a slightly different opinion  :wave

Guess which way I voted.  Go on!  :lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Hi all!

I am a long time fan, which -supposely- was cured from the MK bug, ha! but in the end, we all end up in the same place, isn't ?

I was at the Madrid show. Top notch, as usual. The band sounded brutal, I mean, perfectly equalized, beautiful arrangements, super deep sound.. I absolutely loved the set. With respect Mark's skills, well. Obviously he struggles a bit when soloing. He has not been practicing much, you can say. Mainly, his phrasing consists now about short and secure licks. But you cannot expect many 8 bars runs anymore. Anyway, there's still the soul there. That will never change.

I think he absolutely knows it, and probably that's why TR has been dropped. If you look closely in the Youtube recordings, he shakes his hands before the final solo, like "C'mon, one more time". He obviously is not confortable anymore throwing 16th notes 4 minutes solos, probably, he's not physically confortable.

We have to respect that. He has given it all for us fans, and we have to respect what he can provide us at this point. I was mesmerized with TR, but, I would have been anyway without it.

Got to say, I found myself several times on tears, this guy has a superspecial place in my soul. Wish I could take one more extra show from the man! I will rely to the old 96' recordings, my absolute favourite era from him :)

hunter

69 isn't really old, especially for a person in Mark's position who can get the best doctors and physiotherapists and personal trainers and what not. And he gets plenty of rest on the tour, stays in great hotels. But as someone said, people age differently and some faster than others, and who knows if he actually has a health problem (remember John Illsley, who kept his cancer secret). If Mark could have played technically better, with more intensity and with more stamina, he would have. For sure. So, I think the set and the show are good, all things considered. Still I wonder if 80 shows plus is the right way of doing this.

Offlinejabbathehut

• Camerado
It is disappointing that only 3 songs made it from the new album and 2 of those are not that musically challenging.It seems to me that the band is a bit bloated and certain songs have to be played to accommodate the different sections.Its still brilliant and we are grateful that he comes on the road

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 37 queries.