Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (12) One deep river  (Read 2716 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: (12) One deep river
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2024, 12:03:56 AM »
Should I find a minus in this song, which for me is one of the best in his career, is that... it ends too early. Could have gone on and leave us with that everlasting feeling... Yes, at a certain point it could start with a proper, ludicrious solo, but it's ok for me with all those licks that flow with the music.

Do you know what song makes me think of?
Forever young, Bob Dylan.
Just to say, the magnificence of this song ;-)

Good call with forever young! I love One Deep River but like you ends far too soon....another tearjerker of a track
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2024, 12:20:46 AM »
Hey i said that already some posts above K-Alberto that it reminded me of forever young. I am not the only one it seems.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineK-alberto

• Camerado
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2024, 07:51:46 AM »
Hey i said that already some posts above K-Alberto that it reminded me of forever young. I am not the only one it seems.

Yep!!!  :o I had tried not to read too much before having a listen
Thanks Dutchessy!!!  :)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2024, 07:52:52 AM »
You are a one deep river... that lines makes me remember that conversation about the gramatically thing using "One deep river" instead of "A deep river", which makes me think this song is not really about the Tyne but about a person which is strong or good like a river that is deep, so, a lot!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2024, 08:13:58 AM »
You are a one deep river... that lines makes me remember that conversation about the gramatically thing using "One deep river" instead of "A deep river", which makes me think this song is not really about the Tyne but about a person which is strong or good like a river that is deep, so, a lot!

MK is most definitely alluding to the Tyne in those lyrics....

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2024, 08:17:20 AM »

I don't understand the lyrics line by line but the little I got made me think he's talking about/to someone.

If anyone could transcribe the lyrics it would be great, if not, maybe the official website would release them tomorrow, hopefully.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2024, 08:29:48 AM »

I don't understand the lyrics line by line but the little I got made me think he's talking about/to someone.

If anyone could transcribe the lyrics it would be great, if not, maybe the official website would release them tomorrow, hopefully.

I guess like with most MK songs, they go off and have a life of their own. One can interpret the words any which way but to me he is reminiscing about Newcastle and the Tyne but alternatively one could think he is singing about someone....

OfflineTommyJ88

• Local Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2024, 11:58:45 AM »
Beautiful, beautiful song—musically and lyrically. In my opinion, this (along with several others on the album) happily sits on the top shelf with the rest of Mark’s very best material.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2024, 08:19:11 AM »

After reading the lyrics, yes you're right, he seems to be describing landscapes of Newcastle...

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2024, 11:05:22 AM »

After reading the lyrics, yes you're right, he seems to be describing landscapes of Newcastle...

'Wherever you're going, wherever you are' is to me the Tyne flowing...

Truly an MK classic....
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 11:08:29 AM by Knopflerfan »

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2024, 11:06:31 AM »

Truly an MK classic....

Actually there is nothing that makes you think he talks about Newcastle further than the picture of the cover, LOL

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2024, 11:07:32 AM »

Truly an MK classic....

Actually there is nothing that makes you think he talks about Newcastle further than the picture of the cover, LOL

Very true!!

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2024, 08:56:29 PM »
For me this is the most intense song on this album, on a par with Brothers in Arms.
I couldn't help thinking that it's a funeral song, from a friend to a friend who's passed away. Chet? Brendan? Tina? It could be so many others.
But in spite of that, for me it's a happy, peaceful song, because of the gospel music and the way he sings it - full of love and a positive perspective. That's what I admire Mark for!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2024, 02:38:39 AM »
For me, in my semantic universe, Mark Knopfler is the deep river of the song, listening and reading the lyrics, it's like a meaningful farewell. The day he leaves, I will listen to this song and it will take on an even deeper meaning for me. May this day take a long time to arrive! (Needless to say, this song touched me in a strong way!)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 02:45:23 AM by Brunno Nunes »
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2024, 08:40:28 AM »
For me, in my semantic universe, Mark Knopfler is the deep river of the song, listening and reading the lyrics, it's like a meaningful farewell. The day he leaves, I will listen to this song and it will take on an even deeper meaning for me. May this day take a long time to arrive! (Needless to say, this song touched me in a strong way!)

Great interpretation and wholeheartedly agree. One very powerful song!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 35 queries.