Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Album Title: 'Tracker' : Release: Begin 2015  (Read 301382 times)

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
Re: Album Title: 'Tracker' : Release: Begin 2015
« Reply #795 on: March 04, 2015, 11:20:50 PM »
That nice (and young) lady at the Media Markt in my hometown was asked today by Mr. Love Expresso that a new Mark Knopfler album was about to be released next week - "March 13th, she answered in no time, which made me happy and I wondered, should she really know that artist?
I asked "maybe you have it the day before?" and she answered "yes, pretty sure!"
So if I am lucky, I will have the CD next Thursday, which is almost only one week away! I will let you know if I have it!  ;D

LE

They told me its impossible because they start shipping at thursday...
Proud member of the AMIT crew

LoveExpresso

« Reply #796 on: March 05, 2015, 07:39:07 AM »

I try to keep the other thread clean and answer to the last post over there (review thread):

jbaent, about the absence of Bruce Molsky in the reviews, I noticed that, too. Maybe he will make his appearance in the bonus songs (some of which seem to have an Americana feel, according to their titles.) And not a single review ever mentioned more than the 11 standard edition songs.

I am astonished that anyone really would expect an album from Mark Knopfler nowadays and expects rockers or fast numbers??

The "Take Five" intro of LAJADAS was already mentioned earlier, Beryl has an intro, so lots of intros on this one. I like that. MK is a great intro-ductioner. ;D

LE

pete_w

« Reply #797 on: March 05, 2015, 08:03:39 AM »
Border Reiver was fast, albeit with whistles and citterns.

Cleaning My Gun was a pretty good rocker.

The man can still do it. If he wants.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #798 on: March 05, 2015, 08:27:21 AM »
Border Reiver was fast, albeit with whistles and citterns.

Cleaning My Gun was a pretty good rocker.

The man can still do it. If he wants.

Yeah! Can't remember in which interview (and to what album release) he stated that every now and then he likes to send out the folk musicians and play some rock with the other lads.

And you really could tell that he enjoyed saying that. But apparently not something that is for the fans to hear.

Edit... Corned Beef City being the exception.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

surferboy

« Reply #799 on: March 05, 2015, 08:59:05 AM »
I think the Italian review as oposed to all others so far gives a realistic picture of the album.

"At first I was lukewarm" describes very well the experience of a first listen to a new MK album, his music needs time and many listens to get to the bottom ("grows slowly") but as a reward it lasts much longer than other contemporary music.

I also think it will be hard to beat Lights of Taormina, which he also writes.

pete_w

« Reply #800 on: March 05, 2015, 09:45:36 AM »
From the Reviews thread:

"Slow is exactly what I was expecting, slow is what we are getting since RPD was released on 2002 and nothing has changed except that MK is older."

Exactly. You cannot put it better than that!
To expect anything else is simply not realistic for more than 10 years now. The same holds for the setlist illusions that will soon start again. Besides that he still is the very best there is!

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread, won't happen again.

Statistically, yes, that's what it looks like it's going to be. As someone said (here?), it's like the same songs over and over, but with different lyrics. Someone should remind Mark about the anecdote he told where he heard Buddy Holly playing on the radio after Telegraph Road and how he felt TR was so lifeless (over-produced) in comparison with the simple, lively Buddy Holly tune.

I mean, I LOVE a good-sounding record. But if you spend a whole day just trying out various microphones to find out which minute nuance is the most pleasing ... You don't think there's a *bit* of spontaneity that gets lost in the process?

And about the setlists - Mark himself says over and over that he love the whole process - writing, recording, and then playing the songs before an audience. So what's with the static setlist then? Sure, last tour was better. Quite a few songs from Privateering were played, so maybe things are picking up in that department. Then again, if the majority of the album is a snooze fest, it's going to be fun show (sarcasm alert).

pete_w

« Reply #801 on: March 05, 2015, 09:51:47 AM »
I feel anger.

It's time to ditch those tin whistles and citterns. He's been doing that Celtic thing since Local Hero and Cal, for goodness sakes. It is getting old. Like that Riverdance fad in the 90s.

Edit: Ok, anger is too much said. But it does NOT look promising. And that oilskin jacket and sixpence image in the video - it's like a Range Rover commercial for the VIP section at Wimbledon. Bleh.

More cowbell?

UfD9fWt8hrQ

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #802 on: March 05, 2015, 10:12:08 AM »
I feel anger.

It's time to ditch those tin whistles and citterns. He's been doing that Celtic thing since Local Hero and Cal, for goodness sakes. It is getting old. Like that Riverdance fad in the 90s.

Edit: Ok, anger is too much said. But it does NOT look promising. And that oilskin jacket and sixpence image in the video - it's like a Range Rover commercial for the VIP section at Wimbledon. Bleh.

More cowbell?

UfD9fWt8hrQ

Yeah, I already knew about it. Was just being ironic about what might have been needed on Tracker  ;)
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

LoveExpresso

« Reply #803 on: March 05, 2015, 10:56:39 AM »
Funny thing is that there ARE obviously two
rockers on the album? Seems to be faded out here in terms of pre release criticism?
This Italian review let my expectations rise a lot.

LE

pete_w

« Reply #804 on: March 05, 2015, 11:10:46 AM »
Two out of eleven isn't bad. I feel better already  ;D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #805 on: March 05, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »

Three if we include Beryl! 
Goin' into Tow Law....

surferboy

« Reply #806 on: March 05, 2015, 11:22:42 AM »
I don't want to be misunderstood.
By my remarks I don't mean any pre release criticism at all.
A slow and quiet album is more than fine with me. I like that and even expect one of his best solo albums so far.
But I think to expect his "most straits like" solo album (as stated in one of the first reviews) must inevitably lead to disappointment and what is labeled a "rocker" may as well be a number with just a rougher guitar sound.
It comes down to avoid unrealistic expectations with regard to straits like rockers and substantially overhauled setlists.
But if you avoid that you can be as happy a fan as a happy microphone or engine.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:56:33 AM by surferboy »

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #807 on: March 05, 2015, 11:43:46 AM »
Funny thing is that there ARE obviously two
rockers on the album? Seems to be faded out here in terms of pre release criticism?
This Italian review let my expectations rise a lot.

LE

Mine too! I think i'm gonna love most of the songs. No sign of a 'blues'  song yet  ;D ;D I'm happy with that!! (i don't like ' don't forget your hat, can't beat the house and hot or what for example')
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #808 on: March 05, 2015, 11:56:43 AM »

KTGC vol 2, now with 18% more rock!  ;D

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #809 on: March 05, 2015, 12:01:12 PM »

Statistically, yes, that's what it looks like it's going to be. As someone said (here?), it's like the same songs over and over, but with different lyrics. Someone should remind Mark about the anecdote he told where he heard Buddy Holly playing on the radio after Telegraph Road and how he felt TR was so lifeless (over-produced) in comparison with the simple, lively Buddy Holly tune.

There are A LOT of quotes (about rock and such) that should be resurrected, printed and sent to the man...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 55 queries.