Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 600378 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #1380 on: February 18, 2016, 09:38:23 AM »

Obviously the ladies think differently!    ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1381 on: February 18, 2016, 11:49:29 AM »
I shall be pleased to see any film, even if MK will comb his hair before the mirror within an hour.

:lol

Won't take long!!!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineMK-47

• Local Hero
« Reply #1382 on: February 18, 2016, 12:30:42 PM »
I shall be pleased to see any film, even if MK will comb his hair before the mirror within an hour.

:lol

Won't take long!!!

:clap

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1383 on: May 29, 2016, 07:23:31 PM »
Interesting to see Guy break ranks.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #1384 on: May 29, 2016, 08:14:58 PM »
To me, all that sounds like MK is retired now- without making a big deal about it. Now and then a charity show or an event in the countryside, just for the fun of it. Perhaps there will be  a record in some years time. But these huge tours we've been enjoying, those days are over I suppose.

Just my two Cents....

And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1385 on: May 29, 2016, 08:28:06 PM »
There will be more records for sure
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #1386 on: May 29, 2016, 08:47:20 PM »
I agree with you Jbaent..

Envoyé de mon Ultym 5.2 en utilisant Tapatalk

But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #1387 on: May 29, 2016, 08:49:37 PM »

I agree with you. Or I hope so. :-)
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1388 on: May 29, 2016, 08:54:31 PM »
MK will stop touring eventually, but he will still compose music and make albums, I'm sure!    :) 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1389 on: May 29, 2016, 09:25:19 PM »
To me, all that sounds like MK is retired now- without making a big deal about it. Now and then a charity show or an event in the countryside, just for the fun of it. Perhaps there will be  a record in some years time. But these huge tours we've been enjoying, those days are over I suppose.

Just my two Cents....
How you manage to take that from a post about a DS reunion I will never know.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineMaxG

• Guitar George
« Reply #1390 on: May 29, 2016, 09:32:38 PM »
It is always a sensitive point when an artist should stop touring. As a living legend to so many fans, the desire and enjoyment to carry on will always there. We all age though and each passing year puts more demands on our bodies. A lot of artists are past their best but carry on, this can do a disservice to their legacy - you don't want fans to remember you for your last few concerts when you simply were past it. There always going to be fans that want to see them regardless, and its very difficult sometimes to be objective ourselves as passionate fans. The reality is that MK is going to be 67 this year.

I have been fortunate enough to see him a number of times over the years and it was an amazing experience. The 2005 shows in Johannesburg were probably the 2 best from a musical point of view I have been to.

MK is really struggling on the vocal side in the last few tours. The first few shows are fine, but then his voice takes serious strain after that. You can listen to recordings from early on in a tour, or after a break and then a few shows later and you will hear the difference. Others have commented he doesn't play the same guitar licks and parts on a lot of his songs as he used to. I am no guitar expert so cannot comment, and I personally think his guitar, backing band sound as good as ever, but there will be a time as well when perhaps the guitar won't sound as good as it always did. These comments are not meant to be critical at MK as a musician we all love him for, its simply to recognise that he is ageing like we all are. Whether you are a professional sportsmen, performer or musician, it is just nature that you cannot keep on performing at the same level year after year indefinitely.

If MK just does decide to just do a few charity shows here and there, I think it is a great move. It will keep his vocals in shape, allow him to put his full passion into it and removes the rigours of the longer tours with the associated physical and mental attrition. The tours also take up a lot of time and probably remove studio time. I would personally like it if he takes this approach as it will still provide live concerts but also allow him to produce another few albums in quicker turn around time.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 09:54:23 PM by MaxG »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #1391 on: May 29, 2016, 11:03:02 PM »
To me Tracker and Privateering was made for a sake of touring again. It would be refreshing to see a new album dedicated to the songs more.
Mark always says he loves the whole cycle, but you can clearly see that on this point touring is a bit on the higher side of his scales.

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #1392 on: May 31, 2016, 05:16:37 PM »
To me Tracker and Privateering was made for a sake of touring again. It would be refreshing to see a new album dedicated to the songs more.
Mark always says he loves the whole cycle, but you can clearly see that on this point touring is a bit on the higher side of his scales.

Interesting. To me, "Tracker" is some of his best stuff, and I think it's great that Mark is still able to make music at this level. "Tracker" is my personal proof that Mark's career is far from over...
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #1393 on: May 31, 2016, 06:40:39 PM »

Interesting. To me, "Tracker" is some of his best stuff, and I think it's great that Mark is still able to make music at this level. "Tracker" is my personal proof that Mark's career is far from over...

Nothing wrong with "Tracker", it just seems that Mark goes on tour to get him some time to write and to do it in a perfect schedule.
As someone said, "On tour you can only see Mark in an elevator with a chair on his way to hotel room".

Nothing wrong with it either, but sometimes it could lead to a little scoops in his writing/recording/playing cycle.
And I guess his DVD policy only proves it, it's like 'I'll do it someday, but now let's write some new songs'.

I wrote all this just because someone above was talking about possibility of Mark stopping touring. I can't see this happening due to ?.

Can't wait for any details regarding Henrik Hansen's mystery project though.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 06:43:36 PM by quizzaciously »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #1394 on: May 31, 2016, 09:15:30 PM »
It is always a sensitive point when an artist should stop touring. As a living legend to so many fans, the desire and enjoyment to carry on will always there. We all age though and each passing year puts more demands on our bodies. A lot of artists are past their best but carry on, this can do a disservice to their legacy - you don't want fans to remember you for your last few concerts when you simply were past it. There always going to be fans that want to see them regardless, and its very difficult sometimes to be objective ourselves as passionate fans. The reality is that MK is going to be 67 this year.

I have been fortunate enough to see him a number of times over the years and it was an amazing experience. The 2005 shows in Johannesburg were probably the 2 best from a musical point of view I have been to.

MK is really struggling on the vocal side in the last few tours. The first few shows are fine, but then his voice takes serious strain after that. You can listen to recordings from early on in a tour, or after a break and then a few shows later and you will hear the difference. Others have commented he doesn't play the same guitar licks and parts on a lot of his songs as he used to. I am no guitar expert so cannot comment, and I personally think his guitar, backing band sound as good as ever, but there will be a time as well when perhaps the guitar won't sound as good as it always did. These comments are not meant to be critical at MK as a musician we all love him for, its simply to recognise that he is ageing like we all are. Whether you are a professional sportsmen, performer or musician, it is just nature that you cannot keep on performing at the same level year after year indefinitely.

If MK just does decide to just do a few charity shows here and there, I think it is a great move. It will keep his vocals in shape, allow him to put his full passion into it and removes the rigours of the longer tours with the associated physical and mental attrition. The tours also take up a lot of time and probably remove studio time. I would personally like it if he takes this approach as it will still provide live concerts but also allow him to produce another few albums in quicker turn around time.

hey max, you did not, by accident record those shows???????
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 35 queries.