Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 600286 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #1770 on: September 23, 2021, 09:38:24 AM »
I don't find CDs either inconvenient or noisy.   I remember in the past cassettes being very hissy and as for vinyl, it has to be handled very carefully to avoid getting scratches and clicks, also vinyl has to be turned over, interrupting the listening experience.   I have to say, though, I do like the sound of vinyl and I have quite a lot which I have collected over the years, but these are mainly pre-CD and I still listen to them occasionally, clicks included!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

hunter

« Reply #1771 on: September 23, 2021, 09:55:11 AM »
I don't find CDs either inconvenient or noisy.   I remember in the past cassettes being very hissy and as for vinyl, it has to be handled very carefully to avoid getting scratches and clicks, also vinyl has to be turned over, interrupting the listening experience.   I have to say, though, I do like the sound of vinyl and I have quite a lot which I have collected over the years, but these are mainly pre-CD and I still listen to them occasionally, clicks included!   :)

It's not the playback sound I'm talking about, but the mechanical noise of a lot of CD and DVD players. Blessed are those that do not hear these things :D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1772 on: September 23, 2021, 09:59:36 AM »

It's not the playback sound I'm talking about, but the mechanical noise of a lot of CD and DVD players. Blessed are those that do not hear these things :D

I understood what you meant, but I can't hear the disc rotating on my CD player.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #1773 on: September 23, 2021, 10:12:45 AM »
Neither can I, I bought my current system in 2008 it's a Rotel CD player and Amp, with B&O speakers, it is a high end system that cost about £1500 so at the price I would expect silence, but nowadays there really shouldn't be an excuse for a manufacturer to not to have a silent player, even the cheaper ones.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1774 on: September 23, 2021, 10:35:02 AM »
@ hunter - I usually transfer my CDs on to a USB stick, plugged into my system and then I can listen to thousands of songs on random, or as individual albums.   They are also on my computer, so I can listen when I'm on line.   
Goin' into Tow Law....

hunter

« Reply #1775 on: September 23, 2021, 10:40:59 AM »
Neither can I, I bought my current system in 2008 it's a Rotel CD player and Amp, with B&O speakers, it is a high end system that cost about £1500 so at the price I would expect silence, but nowadays there really shouldn't be an excuse for a manufacturer to not to have a silent player, even the cheaper ones.

My latest CD player was a Cambridge Audio 540C. Not high-end, but above entry level. The tray and laser are just cheap plastic crap. Obviously, at louder volumes you don't hear the mechanical noise, but as I live in an apartment, I need to keep the levels down. I had to put the thing inside a cabinet with doors for it to be quiet enough for me.

As for current CD players, a lot of them use cheap mechanisms from China. Since CD sales are dwindling, no-one buys CD players anymore, hence the big electronics manufacturers have no incentive to improve the technhology.

hunter

« Reply #1776 on: September 23, 2021, 10:43:27 AM »
@ hunter - I usually transfer my CDs on to a USB stick, plugged into my system and then I can listen to thousands of songs on random, or as individual albums.   They are also on my computer, so I can listen when I'm on line.

That's what I do as well. That is, most of them are on my phone and I can stream them to my hifi via a Chromcast Audio dongle from Google (nifty little gadget).

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1777 on: September 23, 2021, 11:38:42 AM »

Me too, although I've a lovely Ruark wooden audio system which gives a lovely warm sound to MK's music whether on CD, MP3 or Vinyl....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1778 on: September 23, 2021, 11:48:09 AM »

Things have most definitely moved on from the 'black and white' days with regards Vinyl - hardly any hissing these days - mind you record playing equipment has indeed moved on too!...

I absolutely love an evening relaxing with the warm sound of MK on Vinyl, and love turning the vinyl over - not great if you are in a rush to listen but as with all  MK music 'great things come to those who wait'!!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1779 on: September 23, 2021, 11:57:06 AM »

Things have most definitely moved on from the 'black and white' days with regards Vinyl - hardly any hissing these days - mind you record playing equipment has indeed moved on too!...

I absolutely love an evening relaxing with the warm sound of MK on Vinyl, and love turning the vinyl over - not great if you are in a rush to listen but as with all  MK music 'great things come to those who wait'!!

Regarding "hissing" I was referring to the days of cassettes, not vinyl.   I have listed previously the disadvantages of vinyl - scratches and clicks, storage (I have a wardrobe full of them) and the most irriatating of all, having to turn the disc over in the middle of a symphony or piano concerto - it just spoils the mood and the same thing is applicable to MK albums.   Sorry!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1780 on: September 23, 2021, 12:00:53 PM »

Regarding "hissing" I was referring to the days of cassettes, not vinyl.   I have listed previously the disadvantages of vinyl - scratches and clicks, storage (I have a wardrobe full of them) and the most irriatating of all, having to turn the disc over in the middle of a symphony or piano concerto - it just spoils the mood and the same thing is applicable to MK albums.   Sorry!   :)

Oh dear, you are clearly not a Vinyl fan then Superval?!!! Oh well..... :wave

Cassette tapes were just plain rubbish thinking on it now - tape getting unwound, snapping & creasing - need I say more but Vinyl and the sound it creates - just amazing!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 12:12:40 PM by Knopflerfan »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1781 on: September 23, 2021, 12:12:30 PM »

Oh dear, you are clearly not a Vinyl fan then Superval?!!! Oh well..... :wave

Cassette tapes were just plain - rubbish thinking on it now - tape getting unwound, snapping & creasing - need I say more but Vinyl and the sound it creates - just amazing!

I have listened and loved vinyl since I was about 10 years old, but, believe me, I know all of the disadvantages .  So after I went through the cassette era and CDs arrived it was bliss!   I agree that vinyl has a lovely warm sound and I do, occasionally, dig out something to listen to, but the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.  I must admit, though, that the various clicks have become like old friends and I miss them when I listen to a particular piece of music on CD and they are not there!   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1782 on: September 23, 2021, 12:15:50 PM »
Well I'm afraid we shall have to 'agree to disagree' then Superval as I slightly prefer the lovely Vinyl sound.
Similar to you I've been listening to Vinyl since I was 7 (40 years) but boy things have moved on a pace with regards Vinyl technology that you just can't compare to the Vinyl of many years ago .

I admit the 'digital' sound is very good but there is nothing quite like listening to a good old DS/MK LP and cranking the sound up!! and as for my Shadows 'ep's' - just awesome!!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 12:23:53 PM by Knopflerfan »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1783 on: September 23, 2021, 12:26:12 PM »
Well I'm afraid we shall have to 'agree to disagree' then Superval as I slightly prefer the lovely Vinyl sound.

I admit the 'digital' sound is very good but there is nothing quite like listening to a good old DS/MK LP and cranking the sound up!!

Well CDs can be cranked up too, which I often do!   :)    btw I do have one MK vinyl, but it has only been played a couple of times, due to having to having to turn it over not once, but twice, because there are four sides!  Approximately two or three songs a side, whereas  I can listen to the CD, or on my usb all through!  ::)   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1784 on: September 23, 2021, 12:32:55 PM »
...things have moved on a pace with regards Vinyl technology that you just can't compare to the Vinyl of many years ago .

You still have to interrupt the musical experience to turn the disc over  - no amount of technology can do that, or stop the scratches, or solve the storage problem!
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 41 queries.