Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 600347 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #1785 on: September 23, 2021, 12:43:11 PM »
...things have moved on a pace with regards Vinyl technology that you just can't compare to the Vinyl of many years ago .

You still have to interrupt the musical experience to turn the disc over  - no amount of technology can do that, or stop the scratches, or solve the storage problem!

Well of course you have to turn it over unless you get someone else to do it!! When one listen's to Vinyl, one should not be in a rush to turn it over! Not sure I find it interrupting my musical experience, in fact it's the excitement of the tracks to come that i enjoy. You somehow don't get with a CD or even on a memory stick because they just flow which is all a bit of a rush to me.  Storage isn't an issue and in fact they are lovely pieces of memorabilia to have..... Scratches - haven't found any of late.....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1786 on: September 23, 2021, 12:47:33 PM »
Well I'm afraid we shall have to 'agree to disagree' then Superval as I slightly prefer the lovely Vinyl sound.

I admit the 'digital' sound is very good but there is nothing quite like listening to a good old DS/MK LP and cranking the sound up!!

Well CDs can be cranked up too, which I often do!   :)    btw I do have one MK vinyl, but it has only been played a couple of times, due to having to having to turn it over not once, but twice, because there are four sides!  Approximately two or three songs a side, whereas  I can listen to the CD, or on my usb all through!  ::)

Excellent, the more times you have to turn the Vinyl the better!! it heightens the anticipation of the tracks to come unlike playing 'all through' when you are less likely to be concentrating on the music..... :wave

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Onlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1787 on: September 23, 2021, 12:55:27 PM »
Well I'm afraid we shall have to 'agree to disagree' then Superval as I slightly prefer the lovely Vinyl sound.

I admit the 'digital' sound is very good but there is nothing quite like listening to a good old DS/MK LP and cranking the sound up!!

Well CDs can be cranked up too, which I often do!   :)    btw I do have one MK vinyl, but it has only been played a couple of times, due to having to having to turn it over not once, but twice, because there are four sides!  Approximately two or three songs a side, whereas  I can listen to the CD, or on my usb all through!  ::)

Excellent, the more times you have to turn the Vinyl the better!! it heightens the anticipation of the tracks to come unlike playing 'all through' when you are less likely to be concentrating on the music..... :wave

Bye!    :lol     :wave
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1788 on: September 23, 2021, 02:11:33 PM »
I don't find CDs either inconvenient or noisy.   I remember in the past cassettes being very hissy and as for vinyl, it has to be handled very carefully to avoid getting scratches and clicks, also vinyl has to be turned over, interrupting the listening experience.   I have to say, though, I do like the sound of vinyl and I have quite a lot which I have collected over the years, but these are mainly pre-CD and I still listen to them occasionally, clicks included!   :)

Things have most definitely moved on from the 'black and white' days with regards Vinyl - hardly any hissing these days - mind you record playing equipment has indeed moved on too!...

I absolutely love an evening relaxing with the warm sound of MK on Vinyl, and love turning the vinyl over - not great if you are in a rush to listen but as with all  MK music 'great things come to those who wait'!!

Regarding "hissing" I was referring to the days of cassettes, not vinyl.   I have listed previously the disadvantages of vinyl - scratches and clicks, storage (I have a wardrobe full of them) and the most irriatating of all, having to turn the disc over in the middle of a symphony or piano concerto - it just spoils the mood and the same thing is applicable to MK albums.   Sorry!   :)

I'm in Val's team here and personally can't be arsed with vinyl.  I also think this vinyl thing is just a trend and CDs will have their day once more.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1789 on: September 23, 2021, 02:24:42 PM »
I don't find CDs either inconvenient or noisy.   I remember in the past cassettes being very hissy and as for vinyl, it has to be handled very carefully to avoid getting scratches and clicks, also vinyl has to be turned over, interrupting the listening experience.   I have to say, though, I do like the sound of vinyl and I have quite a lot which I have collected over the years, but these are mainly pre-CD and I still listen to them occasionally, clicks included!   :)

Things have most definitely moved on from the 'black and white' days with regards Vinyl - hardly any hissing these days - mind you record playing equipment has indeed moved on too!...

I absolutely love an evening relaxing with the warm sound of MK on Vinyl, and love turning the vinyl over - not great if you are in a rush to listen but as with all  MK music 'great things come to those who wait'!!

Regarding "hissing" I was referring to the days of cassettes, not vinyl.   I have listed previously the disadvantages of vinyl - scratches and clicks, storage (I have a wardrobe full of them) and the most irriatating of all, having to turn the disc over in the middle of a symphony or piano concerto - it just spoils the mood and the same thing is applicable to MK albums.   Sorry!   :)

I'm in Val's team here and personally can't be arsed with vinyl.  I also think this vinyl thing is just a trend and CDs will have their day once more.

Vals corner for once dmg....sorry not shifting on my love for Vinyl. Not sure there will be a CD resurgence either....

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1790 on: September 23, 2021, 02:51:17 PM »

Vals corner for once dmg....sorry not shifting on my love for Vinyl. Not sure there will be a CD resurgence either....

Vinyl and CD are fighting over the same market share so it's all about the trend.  I think it'll shift at some point, perhaps once vinyl loses its appeal for those who are dipping their toes.  It's obviously trendy, retro or nostalgic for some at the moment.  For collectors it's different due to the box sets and vast back catalogues.

Offlinebenlitmaath

• Guitar George
« Reply #1791 on: September 23, 2021, 04:15:05 PM »
Guys, i do not want to speculate on this too much because after all, we just dont know

But

I know a lot of people are hoping for one last MK tour, even if it's a small tour with some dates in the UK and possibly The Netherlands, Germany, France etc.
I myself am hoping for one last tour because i became obsessed with MK and DS after i picked up the guitar for the first time in April of 2020.

I was too late for MK's 2019 tour and im 21 years old right now, so it's not like i've been around long enough to see DS perform.
I can't let it happen that i won't see MK live in concert ever

Here's the big but:
I've seen some people speculate that Mark's (possibly last) album will be released no sooner than september of 2022.

Mark will be 73 at the time and we've all seen the concerts from 2019...

I can only hope for 1 thing. And that is that MK will get his guitar skills back up there (i'm not saying it is bad right now but the difference between the 2015 and 2019 tour was significant) and give us one last banger of a tour even if it's not a lot of dates.

After all, it is possible. Eric Clapton is on tour in the states right now and he is 76 years old and has been in far better shape.

What is you guys' take on this?

Ben
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 04:25:53 PM by benlitmaath »

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1792 on: September 23, 2021, 05:42:31 PM »

Vinyl and CD are fighting over the same market share so it's all about the trend.  I think it'll shift at some point, perhaps once vinyl loses its appeal for those who are dipping their toes.  It's obviously trendy, retro or nostalgic for some at the moment.  For collectors it's different due to the box sets and vast back catalogues.

Downloads are the future or I should say IS the future....sadly...

Onlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1793 on: September 23, 2021, 05:59:25 PM »

I have to agree with you on this occasion, sadly.   There is nothing like the physical article, whether a book or a disc and all that comes with it - the artwork, liner notes.....   Yes, I know they can be downloaded, but its not quite the same somehow.

Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1794 on: September 23, 2021, 06:05:11 PM »

I have to agree with you on this occasion, sadly.   There is nothing like the physical article, whether a book or a disc and all that comes with it - the artwork, liner notes.....   Yes, I know they can be downloaded, but its not quite the same somehow.

It is very sad indeed.....Gone are the days of a release day and running into: Our Price, John Menzies, WH Smith early to get hold of a copy....thankfully we still have HMV and of course a few independent record stores to obtain our goodies though....

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1795 on: September 23, 2021, 06:46:11 PM »
Yes, I used to go to Virgins to get mine.  It's not the same downloading it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 06:51:51 PM by dmg »

Love Expresso

« Reply #1796 on: September 23, 2021, 07:03:03 PM »
Where exactly is the connection with the topic "Guy's forum" with all this?

LE

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1797 on: September 23, 2021, 07:31:59 PM »
Where exactly is the connection with the topic "Guy's forum" with all this?

LE

And here at last is LE with a diamond quote!!! Go back 3-4 pages and you will note the link with regards the new forthcoming album, Vinyl and gimmicks in box sets - Simples!! :wave
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 07:34:26 PM by Knopflerfan »

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1798 on: September 23, 2021, 07:35:28 PM »
Yes, I used to go to Virgins to get mine.  It's not the same downloading it.

Of course the infamous Virgin Megastores!

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #1799 on: September 24, 2021, 08:21:46 AM »
I am still not feeling the whole Vinyl thing, I just prefer CD, with the music I listen to, some of it is continuous, some Mike Oldfield or Pink Floyd albums are meant to be listened to in one go, and the tracks in order, so for me turning a side over would ruin it, I know some of those older albums had a break point build in for this reason though, for example The Great Gig in The Sky ending side one and Money starting side 2 works really well.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 37 queries.