Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 600318 times)

Love Expresso

Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #540 on: April 01, 2012, 11:12:39 AM »
No Bob for this summer I'm afraid... July is not perfect time and the locations are not within reach for me.
BTW, there are some other European dates on Dylan.com. He seems to be as busy as ever. Respect, Man!

LE

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #541 on: April 01, 2012, 01:54:10 PM »
I know some of you folks were disturbed by the fact that Guy said that Mr Bob didn't talk to any members of Mark's band during the tour, so I thought I might pass this on to you. I caught just a brief part of a documentary about Thelonious Monk, the jazz pianist, on TV this morning. I shall have to look out for a re-run in order to catch the whole thing, so I hope I've picked this up correctly.

One musician said he joined the group for a six-week run and Monk didn't speak to him until the very last day! Soon after, he was called to a Monk recording seesion and, again, Monk didn't speak to him until the very end, when he made sure the musician was being paid. The musician suddenly realised that, as far as Monk was concerned, he was one of his musicians now. Monk then asked, "Do you have a passport?. The musician said not. Monk replied, "We leave for Europe on Friday". This was a Monday.  Another musician, around at Monk's house, asked him questions for about an hour but Monk never replied.  The musician stayed while all Monk did was play the piano for hours. I guess genius works in unusual ways.

I should add that I saw Monk live in March 1965 and it was one of those concerts where you just got sucked into the music, so that it was like there was just you and him in the hall and no one else. Mesmerising!

His real name was Thelonious Sphere Monk, by the way. That really is some moniker!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 02:22:57 PM by twm »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #542 on: April 01, 2012, 02:07:40 PM »
sphere...lol, gotta love that..
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #543 on: April 01, 2012, 04:40:33 PM »
No Bob for this summer I'm afraid... July is not perfect time and the locations are not within reach for me.
BTW, there are some other European dates on Dylan.com. He seems to be as busy as ever. Respect, Man!

LE
I just realized Bob is doing Montreux on July 8. That's great. ;D
I was embarrassed because I can' go to Lyon but Montreux is a much better option.  ;)
I will probably try to get a ticket if it's affordable.  :P

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #544 on: April 01, 2012, 07:16:11 PM »
In February 1964, TIME magazine ran a piece on jazz. There was a painting of Monk on the cover and the relevant article was entitled "The Loneliest Monk". This wasn't just a pun on his name since, in one sense, it described the man.. Musically (and for good or bad), Monk tended to follow his own path irrespective of what might be fashionable or expected.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 12:14:48 AM by twm »

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #545 on: April 01, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
In February 1964, TIME magazine ran a piece on jazz. There was a painting of Monk on the cover and the relevant article was entitled "The Lonliest Monk". This wasn't just a pun on his name since, in one sense, it described the man.. Musically (and for good or bad), Monk tended to follow his own path irrespective of what might be fashionable or expected.
I believe this is the cover you were referring to...

He definitely went his own way musically..I remember hearing somewhere an interview with Oscar Peterson in which he described Monk as one of the greatest jazz musicians..but as a keyboard player..he lacked in technical skills. Thelonious did tend to pound on the keys a bit..whereas Oscar tickled the ivories gently..he 'coaxed' them
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Love Expresso

« Reply #546 on: April 01, 2012, 07:48:21 PM »
So Bob touring Europe from May to end of July could indeed mean he will tour the US in autumn, couldn't it?

LE

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #547 on: April 01, 2012, 10:14:08 PM »
The Thelonious Monk album in question was IT'S MONK'S TIME and that was recorded between 29 January 1964 and 9 March 1964. That must have been the 6 weeks in question and 9 March 1964 was indeed a Monday. Also, I happened to be in Paris around April 1964 and bought a couple of French jazz magazines and they had coverage of Monk's concert there, so that must have been in March 1964.

That was indeed the TIME cover in question. Apparently, TIME had intended to have the Monk article the previous November but that all got changed when Kennedy was assasinated.

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #548 on: April 02, 2012, 12:00:27 AM »
TWM, you are an encyclopedia of musical knowledge.  If I ever got a pub quiz team together you would be my first pick. Total respect.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #549 on: April 02, 2012, 12:26:40 AM »
Not at all. Some of that stuff I had to check.  And, as you get older, stuff from the past suddenly looms up out of nowhere and you have no idea whence it came. And, not infrequently, it disappears in no time at all. You know that you recalled something recently but you can't recall exactly what it was you did recall.  It's strange and apparently quite normal. And other things stick around in your head forever (what was the name of the guy who rang the big gong at the start of the J Arthur Rank films? Why, Bombardier Billy Wells, of course) whilst some recent things that simply everyone knows don't even register in the first place. 

As someone once said, "He lives in his own world. They know him there". (That's a figure of speech called a "paraprosdokian" by the way. I learned that recently but how long will it stay in my mind?)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #550 on: April 02, 2012, 12:28:16 AM »

LE
I just realized Bob is doing Montreux on July 8. That's great. ;D
I was embarrassed because I can' go to Lyon but Montreux is a much better option.  ;)
I will probably try to get a ticket if it's affordable.  :P

and record i may sure hope :-)

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #551 on: April 02, 2012, 12:31:47 AM »
Not at all. Some of that stuff I had to check.  And, as you get older, stuff from the past suddenly looms up out of nowhere and you have no idea whence it came. And, not infrequently, it disappears in no time at all. You know that you recalled something recently but you can't recall exactly what it was you did recall.  It's strange and apparently quite normal. And other things stick around in your head forever (what was the name of the guy who rang the big gong at the start of the J Arthur Rank films? Why, Bombardier Billy Wells, of course) whilst some recent things that simply everyone knows don't even register in the first place. 

As someone once said, "He lives in his own world. They know him there". (That's a figure of speech called a "paraprosdokian" by the way. I learned that recently but how long will it stay in my mind?)

TWM, you really do come out with some specialsed information. Not general knowledge at all.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #552 on: April 02, 2012, 12:36:34 AM »

TWM, you really do come out with some specialsed information. Not general knowledge at all.
quite happy a Dylan historian like TWM decided to grace us with his little tidbits and not some boring Dylan site :-) (partially kidding)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #553 on: April 02, 2012, 08:29:33 AM »
twm, I wasn't aware of the term paraprosdokian, even though it is a Greek word. (para=against, prosdokian=expectation) Thank you for bringing it up! I google it up to see more paradigms, and the best one is this: http://www.englishforums.com/content/humour/paraprosdokians.htm

I guess you will not forget it now! Paraprosdokian...
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #554 on: April 02, 2012, 11:09:23 AM »
One of my favourites is by Groucho Marx: I never forget a face - but, in your case, I'll make an exception.

Groucho produced so many. Here's another: Ladies and Gentlemen, I've had a wonderful evening - unfortunately, tonight wasn't one of them.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 39 queries.