Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 600377 times)

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #705 on: September 23, 2012, 06:11:59 PM »
Musicianship isn't about playing the fastest og most advanced licks, but about playing the right tones in the right way. That's what the best musicians do, Paul Franklin included, and that's why he plays for MK. But when it comes to fast licks: Have you ever had the pleasure of experiencing Richard Bennett playing lap steel on Daddy's Gone To Knoxville? I have! (Oslo 2006). That's advansed playing! So I guess he is capable of playing whatever needed on a pedal steel :)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #706 on: September 23, 2012, 06:19:28 PM »
Have you ever had the pleasure of experiencing Richard Bennett playing lap steel on Daddy's Gone To Knoxville? I have! (Oslo 2006). That's advansed playing! So I guess he is capable of playing whatever needed on a pedal steel :)

Yes!   He was right in front of me at Amsterdam 2008!   I really enjoyed his playing, so I have no doubt he will be just fine on the upcoming tour.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #707 on: September 23, 2012, 09:33:31 PM »
Tim O'Brien's contributions to the album are very subtle too, same with Chris Botti.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #708 on: September 24, 2012, 12:36:31 AM »
There's another twittred pic from John with McGoldrick on the drums and Ian playing washboard!

Don't know if it's for the laugh but it could surely indicate something very "folksy" going on...
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #709 on: September 24, 2012, 03:40:28 AM »
Bug !?
sofiane cheklat
B
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #710 on: September 24, 2012, 08:45:37 AM »
i didn't get that question either..
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #711 on: September 24, 2012, 09:19:19 AM »
Yes ! I asked the Doc if someone had the same thing, the set list of the CD1 is from bob dylan's new album Tempest ! first I thought wouaw ! is it the tracks that didn't make the album or what, then, Windows Media player updated the display and I saw the Tempest cover ! the same thing with the bonus CD, track 2 small potatoes !!!!!
Mercury, Mercury.... bizard !
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #712 on: September 24, 2012, 11:53:05 AM »
There's another twittred pic from John with McGoldrick on the drums and Ian playing washboard!

Don't know if it's for the laugh but it could surely indicate something very "folksy" going on...

Donegan's Gone!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #713 on: September 24, 2012, 06:20:45 PM »
There is no way of know it... the Pedal Steel Guitar in any of the songs has a very secondary role, actually even I know where are Pedal Steel notes, its that, notes, or little things in the background that won

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #714 on: September 29, 2012, 06:10:18 PM »
Maybe the answer to that its the same at both sides... A guest player usually plays what the main artist of the recording demans, so maybe MK was asked to play in that low profile in some of the colaborations, or MK did the same with their players...

However, I think its a nonsense to call MK to play guitar parts that are not listenable at all, or not his style at all, its a waste of creativity and talent.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #715 on: September 29, 2012, 09:06:43 PM »
Maybe the answer to that its the same at both sides... A guest player usually plays what the main artist of the recording demans, so maybe MK was asked to play in that low profile in some of the colaborations, or MK did the same with their players...

However, I think its a nonsense to call MK to play guitar parts that are not listenable at all, or not his style at all, its a waste of creativity and talent.

One could argue that in Privateering, Mark could have only played in only a few tracks himself and the difference would be negligible such is the low usage of guitar in most songs!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #716 on: September 29, 2012, 10:31:22 PM »
I believe that the truth lies somewhere in between. JF you know your guitar but I have to disagree with most of your examples. Steely dan have been using so many fantastic  guitar players and dumping so many of their contributions.  MK's solo is clear and it is at the very least MKish. Steely dan was his first "hired job" so they treated his contribution very nice, in my opinion, given that he was not the guitar hero everyone wants in his recording with the signature sound.Yet the solo sounds definitely MK. But  of course Larry Carlton has proven in previous Steely dan records that he can sound even like MK!
John Fogerty's song is basically based upon a riff very close to SOS, and I believe that either MK came up with the idea, or Fogerty after writing it saw the resemblance and asked the master to contribute-thus getting instant absolution!  ;D
I would agree about Mavis Staples, which must have been a coincidence or a helping hand for Wexler, the disco craze didn't help things either, but you can at least suspect that what you hear is MK. And on Illsley's recordings, it is more or less the same.
On most of  his contributions you know it is him, even if what he plays is common and easy to imitate.
Private dancer is Dire straits without MK and even though Jeff Beck is doing a heck of a job, he doesn't sound like MK!

I think that the Sting contribution is the weakest one (3 guitar players listed, MK, EC amongst them), but what you hear is something with no breath, very confined.And then you have the Dandy warhols song, that he plays mandolin?!  But I believe that most of them asked him for the unique experience to record with a talented legend and of course have a record that includes MK in the credits. I believe that this means a few thousand sales more.
And that is what he miss in his last 2-3 records. The distinctive guitar sound. And the few memorable and distinctive licks are not enough. 
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #717 on: December 14, 2012, 02:32:26 PM »
Positive statement about future touring on GFs forum today. Doesnt look like theirs any plan to stop after 2013.

OfflineShoaib

• Local Hero
    • Mark Knopfler - The Legend
« Reply #718 on: January 28, 2013, 07:46:18 AM »

Hi Guy, I travelled to Toronto in November from Halifax for your show.I am sitting here watching the Real live Roadrunning DVD at home. I was wondering why MK doesn't record an other DVD. I really enjoy the casual atmosphere and the great music. For those of us in smaller places that don't often get visited would love to have a recording of one of the newer shows.

GUY's REPLY : I'm sure we will put another one together soon, especially as we're now back doing our own show!

Mark Knopfler - The Legend [ www.timparsons.org.uk/knopfler ]

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #719 on: January 28, 2013, 12:14:07 PM »

Hi Guy, I travelled to Toronto in November from Halifax for your show.I am sitting here watching the Real live Roadrunning DVD at home. I was wondering why MK doesn't record an other DVD. I really enjoy the casual atmosphere and the great music. For those of us in smaller places that don't often get visited would love to have a recording of one of the newer shows.

GUY's REPLY : I'm sure we will put another one together soon, especially as we're now back doing our own show!

I read that soooooooooooooooooooo many times, and nothing came out...

I still remember Guy telling that MK management was considering very seriously to do something with all the recorded material from last tours, and well, nothing happened after some years.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 37 queries.