Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mimmo's Collection (the highlights)  (Read 11034 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Mimmo's Collection (the highlights)
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 09:36:11 PM »

I stress that I am NOT saying that these discs are fake. I simply do not know and, as I lack the necessary knowledge, could not possibily pass such an opinion. I am merely passing on knowledge from my own experience/expertise in respect of another performer.

Thanks for your post: it's not only legitimate, even necessary, since there are so many fakes around and it's appropriate to alert the collectors.
In this case, however, I would reassure you. Mimmo is not the kind of person who buys the first fake that comes in his hands. Most of (if not all) the rarities of Dire Straits he owns, he knew before buying them and he knew what to look for. Mimmo, for his collection travels throughout Europe and even in the U.S., turning to the right people and doing the right questions. I'll tell you more: Mimmo doesn't need to address to others to authenticate his items simply because, if there is anyone in the world, capable of authenticating a Dire Straits item, that's just Mimmo; and the collectors around the world turn to him when they have some doubt. As an example, read between the credits of the Dire Museum of Mikel Camps
http://silvertown.free.fr/museu/credits.html

:clap  :clap  :clap
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 10:36:45 PM »
Museums are publicly accessible, that's what they are for. Picture of a picture works for me. Picture of the music does not.

Knowing that these things exist does not make me feel happy. I am happy for the collector, I'm just plain jealous, that all :)

Thats a honest post, I am too   ;D

Me too but I have to go over that feeling.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

foma

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2014, 05:40:01 AM »
I also think it have nothing to do with sharing. It's if like Mark would 'publish' an album with song titles only. Collectors are strange people. Even Mark not a guitar collector, every of his guitars has it's own shot. What 'pictures of music' has I have no idea since I was a kid. Great saying, by the way, koobaa.

Good example of sharing is Isaac, he says he travels after Mark, so he working on a great diary. People who post pictures of music just want to tease us, I think. If he can do a collection, so can I, I don't need so many references for this. Or I must be his friend in order to listen to these. So how I would make a friendship? 'Hi man, I want to listen all this shit what you have'? I just can't understand.

I know now that studio version of Telegraph Road without fade-out exist. And so what? Cool, the guy can listen to it, I'm feeling very happy for him.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 06:13:06 AM by foma »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2014, 05:06:58 PM »
of course I am jealous too, but I think the main question is : are these versions really worth to listen ?

the uncut version of Sultans appeared with guitar hero, and it didn't add much imho, only one more lick and that's all

so, what really add this uncut version of telegraph road ? few seconds more ? and ? what's the deal ?

as for the demo version, the song was composed and played during 80-81 tour, so if you want to hear a "demo" version of this song, you can

I was listening to wiesbaden 2nd night yesterday, and you can really hear the" work in progress" for this song

I think that demos for songs never been played live (like e.g. communique or hand in, hand) would be more interesting, musically.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2014, 05:25:02 PM »
Not envious, not jealous.
Agree with JF, on the rest.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2014, 05:52:25 PM »
I find fade out frustrating.

My top 2 frutrating one :

It Never Rain
Are We In Trouble Now

As they are both last album song I turn the volume up to make it sound as long as they can.

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2014, 06:59:58 PM »

It Never Rain
Are We In Trouble Now

As they are both last album song I turn the volume up to make it sound as long as they can.

And how about Hill farmer's blues? I always get the feeling it ends even before it starts...
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2014, 07:03:55 PM »
This was the surprise that was held for the live shows!

OfflineH97

• Camerado
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2014, 07:22:07 PM »
Oh lord I hate fade-outs, Hill Farmer's Blues, It Never Rains, Money For Nothing and most of all On Every Street and Telegraph Road. How hard can it be to think of a good ending??

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2014, 07:24:28 PM »
of course I am jealous too, but I think the main question is : are these versions really worth to listen ?

the uncut version of Sultans appeared with guitar hero, and it didn't add much imho, only one more lick and that's all

so, what really add this uncut version of telegraph road ? few seconds more ? and ? what's the deal ?

as for the demo version, the song was composed and played during 80-81 tour, so if you want to hear a "demo" version of this song, you can

I was listening to wiesbaden 2nd night yesterday, and you can really hear the" work in progress" for this song

I think that demos for songs never been played live (like e.g. communique or hand in, hand) would be more interesting, musically.
or milan or san remo 1981, great early versions of TR
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineboboDS

• Camerado
  • Alchemy DVD!
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2014, 08:44:27 PM »
So in a way demos are not economically viable ALONE thus not a very big loss.

Exactly.

I just try to justify and understand why he is not sharing. 

Exactly.
This was my whole point.

Because of course unrealesed material (demos) is illegal, released is legal. But, lets consider the trackers, big name bands, hundreds of other bands. There are such demos and other leaked materials there is no way they were obtained with the artist's consent. Are they legal? Most likely not. Are they being shared? Yes. Do most of the bands go after them? Answer this for yourselves.

Because if it was all strictly about being / not being legal, hah, this would be a very black-or-white world.

It is like trespassing. The fact that there is no fence/isn't locked and nobody catches you, doesn't mean you are not breaking the law.

Lets consider, if somebody now shared it on a tracker somewhere. How many people would jump to get it the second they spot it. Would there be someone from us, this forum? Answer this for yourselves.

I can also ask, would somebody steal from a shop if he/she saw that somebody else has stolen before him? Probably not. But the former? I am not so sure. My point is, no matter how well are the rules written, there are always some instances, when they are bent. So I just can't buy this justifying, that's all.

Or he is just saving them for a later release.

Imho, to put it mildy, I don't believe it at all that we will get any unreleased DS material ever again (Please prove me wrong Mark  :) )

I can't judge a man's character, if I don't know him well. I always try to suppose the best until I am proven wrong. I don't try to  defend Mimmo, I only try to find a logic reason.

I know I know. Sorry I don't want to judge anybody, that was not my intention, I am just saying that I really feel like all this is just justyfing...
It's hot in the desert
But I'm cool in the zone
People call me lucky
But I say you make your own

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2014, 10:01:51 PM »
BoboDS, I have already said, in defense of bootlegs (including studio out-takes), on a different thread. (Can't spot it right now) I completely understand the urge and curiosity and I also mentioned,  that many times the fact these recordings were saved for the future generations, containing absolutely amazing things,  was due to the most loyal fans obtaining them (creating or buying or whatever) and preserving them. The internet was a nice place to do this preservation, because lots of people can have instant access. Unfortunately, if you see what is going on right now, you will understand that this is changing fast. And it is only a matter of time until you won't be able to upload (therefore not download either) any material with copyrights and POTENTIAL to make money.
And in this case, I would probably seek to find them if they were uploaded somewhere, although I would definitely enjoy them more in an officially release, since there would be an added bonus of better sound/correct speed and (usually ) more sophisticated artwork.   
So let me know if and when they are somewhere to be found and I will do the same for you!  ;) 

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2014, 10:05:08 PM »
Think about the 2008 RAH IEM stealth...

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2014, 10:52:49 PM »

It Never Rain
Are We In Trouble Now

Oh lord I hate fade-outs, Hill Farmer's Blues, It Never Rains, Money For Nothing and most of all On Every Street and Telegraph Road. How hard can it be to think of a good ending??

sometimes proper ending fits more and sometimes fade out fits more to the song, it give the feeling that it never ends...
to me, fade out si not alwasy frustrating, it depends on the song

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2014, 11:03:55 PM »
or milan or san remo 1981, great early versions of TR

Yes. San Remo is the first I heard from this tour, and is really good, both soundwise and musicwise

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 37 queries.